Author Topic: Anyone have issues with their Lite Flite Auger?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone have issues with their Lite Flite Auger?
« on: Jan 13, 2024, 11:26 PM »
I bought 2 Strikemaster Lite Flite augers on sale at the end of last season. I never got to use them last season. I have had great success with  8 inch Lazer with Milwaukee M18 paired with Clamplate for several years, but was interested in a lighter option. My first holes with Lite Flite cut pretty good using just with drill attached, but the more I drilled the worse it got. I haven't pulled out the second Lite Flite out of the box yet, but will probably look at selling them both now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone have issues with their Lite Flite Auger?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2024, 11:38 PM »
What kind of issues were you having? I've had mine for 4 seasons and it still cuts fine with the original blades. I've used it with a Ridgid and Milwaukee and just added the clam plate last season.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:23 AM »
There were some blade issues with some production models . You may have bought some old stock contact  StrikeMaster with the serial number(s).
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2024, 05:41 AM »
What kind of issues were you having? I've had mine for 4 seasons and it still cuts fine with the original blades. I've used it with a Ridgid and Milwaukee and just added the clam plate last season.

First time user here, but not on the ice yet. I’ve connected mine to a universal extender to a clam plate it has the slightest of the slightest little wobble. Is that normal?
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:16 AM »
First time user here, but not on the ice yet. I’ve connected mine to a universal extender to a clam plate it has the slightest of the slightest little wobble. Is that normal?

Yes ..it will cut/work just fine ...adding some BLUE Loctite on the bolts will help . also getting into the habit of checking the tightness each outing will help as well.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2024, 08:58 AM »
Like mentioned earlier, check with your serial number to see if yours have been recalled for bad blades. That wouldn’t explain why your first holes were cutting well though.
When I had a 24v with the lite flite, I had issues more than once with ice buildup on the cutting head and blades. Usually on really cold days, slush would build up on the blades/head and freeze hard if I set it down between holes. Or sometimes just while drilling; I had to make a habit of spinning the auger in the water after going through and setting the auger cutting end up out of any snow or slush.
Don’t know if that’s any help or even what’s going on, but what you are describing with the first holes being ok, and the next holes being hard to cut is a exactly how mine would act with buildup. I never had the buildup problem on any other auger besides the lite flite

Offline mountana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2024, 09:25 AM »
I had issues with same setup initially, with slow cutting and binding. For me it turned out to be the drill setting. Adjusted the speed setting to 1, and the clutch setting to the drill bit position. It’s worked flawlessly since.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2024, 09:35 AM »
I had issues with same setup initially, with slow cutting and binding. For me it turned out to be the drill setting. Adjusted the speed setting to 1, and the clutch setting to the drill bit position. It’s worked flawlessly since.

This is very important ...hammer mode can destroy blades .

Also jerryfishing  what model Milwaukee and amp hour battery do you use ?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2024, 10:41 AM »
Fuel 2904 with both 6" and 8" Lite-Flites. for 3 years now.  I am using an 8AH battery for 1.5 seasons now. I can and do drill a bunch of holes per day.  They cut like butter!  Until you hit a rock, then they don't.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2024, 12:43 PM »
4 years now with a lite flight and NO issues,  yes you will have a little freeze on your blades on cold days  I don't consider that an issue as water tends to freeze on any metal if it's frigid  As said earlier , there were a couple years that the company used imported blades of low quality and the company is good about working with you on that issue.
  I just changed my blades for the first time and had the old ones resharpened for spares.
I've been using a rigid drill with 4 amp batteries   I can cut 45- 55 holes thru 6-8'' on a battery   I am switching to an 8 amp battery to try this year as I'm a guy who likes lots of power  Can't say it's really necessary considering the weather lately but that's just me

Mine is a 6"

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2024, 01:52 PM »
Yes ..it will cut/work just fine ...adding some BLUE Loctite on the bolts will help . also getting into the habit of checking the tightness each outing will help as well.

So the bolt itself is locked solid. The slight wiggle is between the clam’s mounting rod and the sleeve it fits into in the universal extender.
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2024, 01:56 PM »
Third season with mine with no issues, cuts clean and fast with my M18 Milwaukee with 5ah xc battery.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:39 AM »

Hope this helps
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2024, 10:12 AM »

Hope this helps

Hey Good Info!

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2024, 11:00 PM »
Awesome guys! I will check serial number and contact Strikemaster. I am using Milwaukee 2904-20 drill on drill setting and #1 speed. This is the same drill setting and speed that I have been using with Lazer and drillplate setup. Thank you all for the feedback! I love this site

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2024, 11:08 AM »
I went to that recall site but it's dead. Called rapala customer service haven't heard back.  My blades are fine but its worth a shot for $55 blades! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.