Author Topic: how to solve problems w/ bairn storming: topic: shanty modifications  (Read 2570 times)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
they may end out being a never ending post who knows? here is how it works you throw out ideas that need improving  or questions that you need answered on this one it is "shanty modifications" quote the person that ask the question then answer it so it seems relevant to the topic. like if it goes way off topic and it pops up later then you know who or ware the question came from. so all you go to do is throw questions or ideas out here  that need answering and you pic the best answer for them your self that you think is best or try all ideas to see what works best for you. others are aloud to throw question  out here to it is not considered thread jacking as long as you asking questions  and and helping others by answering others ...

will post in a minute my question by the way is there others? 

thanks for participating....

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac

i guess i go first lol's
i am looking for a way to stop the skirt of flip overs  from blowing in the wind when there is no snow on the ice  was thinking of sewing a chain in to the skirt or hog ringing it to it ? so it does not get wind under the skirt was wondering if there are any better ideas for this???     

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Put sand in a bike inner tube, tie knots in the end, sew fabric over inner tube.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Could add grommets to skirt and carbineers to attach to chain

Could make a flap using an fabric adhesive http://www.walmart.com/ip/Heat-n-Bond-Ultrahold-No-Sew-Iron-On-Adhesive-17-x-5-yds/17338069 then string chain through pocket

My HT Polar shelter has weights sewn into a corner pocket of skirt ..could do the same with the Heat-n-Bond and some SS washers/spacers and fabric

My concern with the chain idea is when the shelter is in the wind break position....may have a tendency to want to fold down 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Face the back of your flip over into the wind. If your run and gun you don't sit long enough to worry anyways.
If your a squatter bank the flaps. Most of the time I have my top in the windbreak position unless the wind is real bad. My Sno Suit is my fishing shack, the portable is mostly a sled to pull my gear.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Drill your shack holes and use all the slush from them to toss on the skirt if you need more just pop a few holes around the shack.
No need to add weight to your sled.

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Drill your shack holes and use all the slush from them to toss on the skirt if you need more just pop a few holes around the shack.
No need to add weight to your sled.

Agreed
A light weight collapsible  shovel weighs less a length of chain
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like the chain idea. You can buy coated chain at Lowes for pretty cheap and can be easily attached to the skirt with good quality zip ties, it shouldn't add too much weight and you could leave it attached I would think.
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-3-4-quarter-inch-multipurpose-magnet-holder-1938.html

might be crazy enough to work ..two on each corner for a total of eight

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like the chain idea. You can buy coated chain at Lowes for pretty cheap and can be easily attached to the skirt with good quality zip ties, it shouldn't add too much weight and you could leave it attached I would think.

that is exactly what i am thinking should be easy to do.

but was not sure if others have done it differently the question i got about the inter tube full of sand is would it be more bulky then a like a 3/8 link chain? then if i sewed it in to the skirt it would be a little bit more fabric then i wanted to use . but a good idea...

this is why i thinking the 3/8 link coated chain sewn in to the skirt? see there is no door one the shack to get out to throw slush on the skirt. it is a older frabill recon  with out the zipper door.... if i up grade this year the shanty  will be going to a buddy but will see what happens there ? i would love to trow slush on the skirt  but it's not possible with out a door .

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Inner tube can be any length you want. A few of say around 12 inches spaced out a bit then sewed in with some fabric. Because its rubber you wont have any issues with fabric damage. Just my 2 cents.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
Just to help get you thinking.... with my Frabill hub, I use (2) 2x4x36" hinged
together end to end. That gives me a 72" board to put on top of flaps. 1 of these
On each side that faces wind works well enough and they both fit in the bag easily
 with the shelter. However I do tow all my gear out with a wheeler or Skidoo so weight
not a concern.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular

that is exactly what i am thinking should be easy to do.

but was not sure if others have done it differently the question i got about the inter tube full of sand is would it be more bulky then a like a 3/8 link chain? then if i sewed it in to the skirt it would be a little bit more fabric then i wanted to use . but a good idea...

this is why i thinking the 3/8 link coated chain sewn in to the skirt? see there is no door one the shack to get out to throw slush on the skirt. it is a older frabill recon  with out the zipper door.... if i up grade this year the shanty  will be going to a buddy but will see what happens there ? i would love to trow slush on the skirt  but it's not possible with out a door .

For an even better way I would find a Harbor Freight, look for a brass grommet kit, they are really cheap and come with the tool and a bunch of grommets then while your there pick up 16 caribeanners  (howevre you spell them) I would think 4 per side if you have a 2-3 person hub type shelter. The zip ties will get brittle and fall off in time but the grommets would last for quite a while and it's easy on/easy off! I bet you'd have less than 30 bucks into it minus the chain. In fact this is what Im doing to mine, the chain at Lowes is even yellow to match my Frabil hub,lol
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For an even better way I would find a Harbor Freight, look for a brass grommet kit, they are really cheap and come with the tool and a bunch of grommets then while your there pick up 16 caribeanners  (howevre you spell them) I would think 4 per side if you have a 2-3 person hub type shelter. The zip ties will get brittle and fall off in time but the grommets would last for quite a while and it's easy on/easy off! I bet you'd have less than 30 bucks into it minus the chain. In fact this is what Im doing to mine, the chain at Lowes is even yellow to match my Frabil hub,lol

how about some thing like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/103-piece-1-2-half-inch-grommet-installation-kit-30037.html

and use carbenering clips like you  said i think walmarts has them for .99 cent for two clips? got to look again thought? any way i like your ides by the way before you by any think from harbor freight use the 20% off coupon.. at this link

http://www.harborfreight.com/

those grommets are a great idea!   

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular

how about some thing like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/103-piece-1-2-half-inch-grommet-installation-kit-30037.html

and use carbenering clips like you  said i think walmarts has them for .99 cent for two clips? got to look again thought? any way i like your ides by the way before you by any think from harbor freight use the 20% off coupon.. at this link

http://www.harborfreight.com/

those grommets are a great idea!   

Yep thats the kit I bought a while ago fixing a tarp for work. They're still holding well, you have to use a block of wood under the grommets when you smack them with a hammer or the tool will break.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i wonder if this would be a better one for putting in the grommets? sturdier metal use in making it? would hate to have a mushroom head on it after a couple whacks of the hammer. lol's

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_39265_39265

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
How bout adding a Snap fastener

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Brass-Snap-Fastener-Kit-1265/100131057

make a flap ...add your chain or sand tube ..snap it and forget it

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How bout adding a Snap fastener

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Brass-Snap-Fastener-Kit-1265/100131057

make a flap ...add your chain or sand tube ..snap it and forget it

even better yet!

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
velcro
Chepi

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
just got it done with button snaps works awesome i just need two carboneering clips one at each end of the chain which is 3/8th inch chain holds it right against the ground when it is flipped

by the way a special thanks too all who helped!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Wow ...your were inspired and got er done quick like

any pics of your mod ?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wow ...your were inspired and got er done quick like

any pics of your mod ?

will be taking them tomorrow cause i got it just finished as it was getting dark i want to get a good shot at how much light the mod let threw with just the skirt no chain that all it would do is let sunshine threw.. which  is a pain to sight fish during the day.. any ways thanks again to all i will get the picture tomorrow... of how much light it does not let threw . now i got a dark hose when i need it and a bright hose when i don't ...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
here is a shot with  the light on in the garage. there is  "no lite visible" with the shanty closed no flash used.

here is the out side of the shanty i use button snaps so it does not look as pretty as sewing would have might do it later?

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks good! If your going with sand maker sure its completely dry before you seal it up, sand will freeze up if theres moisture mixed in. I'm still going with the chain/grommet method, I already have the grommets and tool for it. This is two great ideas I got from this site this year, the other is using an aluminum paint tray for warming things up with my Mr. Heater.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
On  a trip to Harbor freight  I picked up two ceramic magnetic ...http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-ceramic-block-magnets-97504.html... when I got home tested them some seem pretty powerful for the price ...will do some testing a light, easy and inexpensive option .

Offline mattkenzer

• IceShanty Rookie
Maybe lead core rope sewn in would work.
Many different weights per foot.

Great stuff for the bottom of your barbeque cover.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
If you have anything heavy permanently attached to the skirt it will tear your hut to bits when towing it even just by hand, let alone a quad. Sand bags, laid on the skirt after set up and stored in the bottom of the toboggan when moving will work and not cause any harm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.