The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip-up Pike  (Read 3878 times)

TIPUPMILITIA

Tip-up Pike
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 03:38 PM »
HEY. i GOT A CABIN UP IN NORTHWESTERN WISCONSIN. I USUALLY FISH TIP-UPS FOR PIKE. THIS YEAR IM HAVING TROUBLE THEM TO BITE. MY LAKE IS SHALLOW WITH THE DEEPEST POINT IN MY BAY AT 8 FT. I TYPICALLY USE SHINERS AND SUCKERS. I CAUGHT A 12 LB NORTHERN LAST WINTER. YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON GETTING THESE PIKE TO BITE????????

THANKS ALOT
TIPUPMILITIA

CTShiman7612

Re:Tip-up Pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:45 PM »
Tipups for pike is about all my brother and I do.  We usually use suckers and shiners too.  We set up our tipups at least 30 yards apart.  The only secret we have is that we move our tipups every 90 minutes if nothing bites, and we don't put the bait near the bottom, if there are weeds, we like to stay at least a foot or two above to weeds, if it's a flat bottom, we still stay about 4-5 feet off the bottom.  

Stay mobile, and keep live bait on.  When those baitfish are high up in the water in clear site, that little tail wiggle will be seen for quite a distance.  

Good luck!

Fl-18iceicebaby

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2003, 09:09 AM »
I've recently had good luck using red hooks, might wanna give it a shot if its slow and your not getting any. Another tactic i use is placing the bait about a foot under the ice in say a 10ft. hole. This way the pike are likely to see the bait above them and from further distances......goodluc k

Nofishinbosnia

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2004, 06:56 PM »
My brother and I have had really good luck with useing dare devils for hooks.  Or try to use dead bait as oposed to live.  Keep the bait about 2-3 ft under the ice if your in5-10 ft if water.  But over that keep it about 3ft off the bottum.  We always do real well with these type of tactics.  Just try it. What d oyou have to loose.

SPC SOLIE

ice physhrman 1

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2004, 02:18 PM »
Hey Militia,
      Those guys know what they are talking about as far as running you bait right under the ice. Also, if you are fishing up north in Minnesota, it will help keeping the eelpout off your hook (unless that's your thang---------yuck).
      Hey, where abouts are you located in NW Wisconsin? Me and some buddies are headed your way in a couple weeks and are looking for some local help. We are staying on Sand Lake (straight east of Spooner).Any help would be greatly appreciated......
       Drop me an e-mail if you [email protected].....
      Thanks !!!!!!!!!

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2004, 04:39 PM »
TRY DEAD SHINERS JUST ABOVE THE WEEDS, I SWEAR BY DEAD SHINERS FOR PIKE AND MUSKYS.

Offline 8inchauger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • flag!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:30 AM »
Here's a tip from a Central New York ice fisherman, where we are allowed 5 tip ups per fisherman  ;D. If you have a stout jigging rod, try jigging with dead bait and some kind of flasher / attractor. This can help you locate where the pike are hanging, and then set your tip ups accordingly. I've put willow leaf blades on some of my tip up rigs to, about 2-3" above the minnow.
8"

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip-up Pike
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:43 PM »
On one of your tip-ups hook the bait belly side up.It will try to right itself just for a different look.Also if your using wire for a leader go with high impact stren or flourocarbon.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.