Author Topic: Its a Berry good tell  (Read 1144 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Its a Berry good tell
« on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Made the trek to the berry last Friday morning to see this 12in of ice I've been hearing about. If it was true it would come in 2nd behind cascade for the thickest ice I've been on this year. We arrived at the Strawberry marina just before 1st light. Got the gear, sleds and wheeler unloaded then headed down the ramp. From 1st look all the ice appeared to be in good condition. No open water to be seen, which has been pretty common this year. As we came to the bottom of the ramp we seen this neat ski bike build

Of course still having an inner child one of us had to sit on it and see how it felt. lol Very cool bike. So we proceeded out to the chosen spot and got some holes drilled. The 1st bites came pretty quick and provided us with some slot cuts to play with along with some great scenery of the rising sun

As the day went on we put around 15-20 fish on the ice with my 21" being the biggest. We fished 36-28fow. Here's a few pics of the fish, even a double going on in one of them

As the day went on the bite died off. The fish were still present they just didn't like our offerings. The wind kicked up into full blow mode and I would guess we hit gusts in excess of 30mph. I spent some time in the tent and yes the ice did live up to the thickness of 12in solid

What a great trip and I'm happy we decided to check it out. I believe there's still plenty of time for the berry ice. It went to the negative double digits up there this morning so I have no doubt its putting more ice on. As always there were multiple ridges and cracks we traversed to get to the spot. Treat them all with caution as we did and check the out before crossing. The wheeler worked well this trip and a sled would have been ok too. There was alot of snow patches on the ice in the area we were in down the shore north of the marina. Be safe on this early spring/late ice in February. Tightlines
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Its a Berry good tell
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Looks like you guys had a great trip! I fished the Berry Sunday. Saturdays storm brought in a few inches of snow, but not much! There was about 2" of snow on the ice with a few wind blown patches of bare ice showing. It was -4 when we left the truck. The coldest my truck registered was -7 in strawberry valley, but I bet It dipped a little at sunrise after we left the vehicle. We launched at the ladders parking lot on a 4 wheeler. And yes the ice was 12" thick where we drilled holes. We traveled along ways from the parking area and crossed a few pressure ridges with no issues, you had to look for the right place to cross, but very doable. Fishing was pretty good, we iced a 15-16 cutt's nothing above the slot. It was a nice morning to have the tent set up with the heater going today. It was the coldest morning this year we had experienced. This year makes you forget what winter feels like, with all the warm weather we have had. After the sun came out, it was a Beautiful day with sunshine. Temperature was 28 when we left about 1:30 pm. The ice should hold at the berry for next little while, temps are supposed to be cold the next few nights. Edges were solid.

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Thanks guys for the reports. Way cool pics Matt thanks for sharing. Definitely looks like a foot of good ice.  I'm hoping to realign my priorities and get up there before it's gone.

Thanks again 
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Good to see you got out also Matt, you guys definately had cooler temps then we did. I agree it should hold out for a bit longer. I'm hoping to get 2 more trips in up there before the end. You better get them priorities in line Dewey and get some in before its gone. Good time to be fishing the Berry
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Was a fun trip Matt, glad you took me along... Little slow for me, but not for lack of fish checking out my offering just couldn't talk'em into taking hold... Glad we had the calm morning, it got more difficult later in the day to fish with the strong gusts... but they sure are pretty fish, you had a couple real nice ones... Guess we should have gotten a picture of the ice train moving us in and out... Wild ride on the smitty when those gusts of wind would push the sled out to the sides of the track you were setting... Thanks Later J

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Once again, Matt hogs all of the fish. Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Was a fun trip Matt, glad you took me along... Little slow for me, but not for lack of fish checking out my offering just couldn't talk'em into taking hold... Glad we had the calm morning, it got more difficult later in the day to fish with the strong gusts... but they sure are pretty fish, you had a couple real nice ones... Guess we should have gotten a picture of the ice train moving us in and out... Wild ride on the smitty when those gusts of wind would push the sled out to the sides of the track you were setting... Thanks Later J

It was a great time Jeff, I'm happy we decided to go for sure. My spotter was supposed to be watching you a little closer on the ride in and out while I was driving watching for the ridges and cracks. LOL atleast it wasnt a boring ride. I wish we could have gotten a picture of that train on the way out

Once again, Matt hogs all of the fish. Looks like you guys had a great trip.

What do you mean  ??? ??? ::) I never hog all the fish, they just like the way I dangle that short pole in the ice hole  :woot: :woot:  :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: every dog has his day, some more than others I guess  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.