The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eating Grayling  (Read 1292 times)

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eating Grayling
« on: Dec 07, 2023, 03:28 PM »
Good afternoon all. I hope all is going well and that your ice is thicker than mine up here in the northwest corner! As I continually scratch the itch to get on the ice, I was curious about everyone's thoughts on grayling as table fare? My girlfriend and I kept a batch from a lake up in my neck of the woods last summer and fried them up like we would any other fish (battered and fried in bacon grease or butter) and both of us found them quite delectable. However, like most things, I've heard different opinions about them, most of which were negative. Do you think it's lake specific, or do you think grayling just have an unwarranted stigma?

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eating Grayling
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2023, 03:56 PM »
I’ve only eaten it once, it wasn’t really a white meat like walleye but wasn’t really pink meat like trout/salmon either but the taste reminded me a lot of trout. So if your into that kind of thing I’m sure you’d enjoy it

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2023, 04:22 PM »
it wasn’t really a white meat like walleye but wasn’t really pink meat like trout/salmon either but the taste reminded me a lot of trout

That's what intrigued me the most. The meat neither looked nor tasted like any trout or white-fleshed fish I'd eaten in the past. I actually preferred it to trout, which I don't mind eating at all. I've heard/read that they don't freeze well and perhaps that's why they turned out good; we filleted and fried them up the same day we caught them.

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2023, 08:30 PM »
I ain't never had one that was delicious.
I reckon it's just like any other fish, some probably don't like it.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2023, 02:42 PM »
Well, I've never been accused of having a refined palate lol. I suppose I should hop on the bandwagon and decry them...more for me that way  ;D

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2023, 11:25 AM »
They are a member of the whitefish family

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2023, 09:09 AM »
I absolutely love grayling. Just fillet, roll in favorite batter and fry. Or, gut and wrap in aluminum foil with butter, lemon pepper and a slice of lemon and bake in the oven
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2023, 10:13 AM »
I absolutely love grayling. Just fillet, roll in favorite batter and fry

Agreed. I do the same thing with whitefish (mountain or lake variety) and find them equally tasty. I find our cultural mores surrounding food to be fascinating.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2023, 02:09 PM »
To those frying whitefish/grayling - are they bony? Ive heard they are super bony, not like perch or walleye where you can get boneless filets?

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2023, 02:20 PM »
lots of bones.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2023, 03:06 PM »
They seemed to cook up just like trout fillets, and I don't bother to do anything special to their pin bones. Perhaps it was because they were on the smaller side (like the trout I keep for the pan), but they softened up enough to eat.

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2023, 09:17 PM »
Three times in my life.  Yuk!  Soft white meat and bony.  Three strikes and you're out.  As honest Abe said "If you don't learn from history, you're destined to repeat it". 

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2024, 01:24 PM »
Three times in my life.  Yuk!  Soft white meat and bony.  Three strikes and you're out.  As honest Abe said "If you don't learn from history, you're destined to repeat it".
The ones out of Hyalite, back when you could keep them, were softer than trout. I didn't care for them. Other areas must have better fish.

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2024, 09:17 PM »
Not much of a fish eater, but ate a lot of them in Alaska. One of the few fish I will eat and like. After fried the bones are easy to pic out. Always skinned them . After gutting ,cut through skin full length of back. Then from front grip a small piece of skin between knife and thumb. The shin peels off like a sheet of paper. Easiest fish to  skin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.