Author Topic: Lake Louise report thread 2020/2021  (Read 13920 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Louise report thread 2020/2021
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2021, 09:36 PM »
I decided that with it being New Years Weekend I would wait for the holiday traffic to slow down at the lake. I hope to go the 16th but I will probably hold off if it is really cold. I am a wimp in my old age I guess. I remember being out there on the lake in fog thinking I was following the shore of Lake Louise on my way to Susitna. When I made it out of the fog somehow I was on the other side of Cliff Bay . I thought I could see trees on my left the whole may.

I’ve got an awesome sequence photo of you getting completely enveloped by a fog bank less than 100 yards away from me.  One minute you were there, the next you were gone.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Alcanzach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:03 PM »
Hello all!

Recently moved back to the state and living in wasilla.  I have herd great things about lake Louise and am anxious to try it out.  I'm just trying to see what depth the big ones are normally at but I'm sure it varies day day.  I have everything I need except some lake knowledge..
thank you so much! Also how is it getting out to the hardwater?  I currently have a 6 wheeler but I don't want to be terring up the snow trails either so I got a buddy I can borrow a snow machine from if need be.   

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Hello all!

Recently moved back to the state and living in wasilla.  I have herd great things about lake Louise and am anxious to try it out.  I'm just trying to see what depth the big ones are normally at but I'm sure it varies day day.  I have everything I need except some lake knowledge..
thank you so much! Also how is it getting out to the hardwater?  I currently have a 6 wheeler but I don't want to be terring up the snow trails either so I got a buddy I can borrow a snow machine from if need be.

Thanks for asking Alcanzach.  Yes, please don't bring the 6 wheeler, it will tear up the trails that people work hard to groom and it can actually be a severe hazard to the many users out there.  In particular guys who are hauling out supplies to their cabins.  Lakers can be found at various depths.  I have personally caught them in 10-60 feet of water but I generally like to stick to 30-40 feet of water most of the time.  It all depends on where the baitfish are located.  If you can find where the baitfish are at, then you will find the lake trout.  The trouble is trying to find the baitfish.  If you find the secret please let all the rest of us know LOL.  It's like finding the secret long lost treasure.  Sometimes I get lucky and stumble on to them, and then I will go back out there and fish in the exact same spot and there will be nothing.  It's like trying to predict caribou migration patterns.  You might know where they are today, but good luck figuring out where they will be tomorrow.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:24 PM »
I’ve got an awesome sequence photo of you getting completely enveloped by a fog bank less than 100 yards away from me.  One minute you were there, the next you were gone.

That's sweet. you should post it here.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2021, 07:04 PM »
Yeah I can’t post pics.  I’m not smart enough to figure out this whole internet thing.  That and I don’t want tundraT to know who I am, I think he has a crush on me for some reason.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Yeah I can’t post pics.  I’m not smart enough to figure out this whole internet thing.  That and I don’t want tundraT to know who I am, I think he has a crush on me for some reason.

:clap: :thumbsup:

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2021, 06:10 PM »

that is one of the problems with this old forum. it is not user friendly.  I don't think I still have a photo bucket to post photos on here. It also took me along time to figure out how to post a quote. I guess the tape talk app might help with those but I don't know.

I was going to make Tundra jokes, like I heard you like the smell of the tundra in morning or you like the old two stokes but I will refrain from those. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2021, 06:25 PM »
This site doesn't support Tapatalk.
I mostly use this forum from my phone.
Makes it fairly simple to upload pictures as they are on my phone anyway.
Like these lake Louise "Partycrasher" blade baits I've been working on!
3/4 oz, 1oz, 1-1/4oz, 1-1/2 oz sizes.
All powder painted.
I did get the 3d eyes in and a clear lacquer topcoat on.
I went with a 3/0 Gamakatsu big river bait hook to keep with the single hook rule.

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Alcanzach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:37 PM »
Thanks Jack for that info ill probky try to make it out in a week or so to give it a go! 

Offline Alcanzach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:55 PM »
So thinking of trying to make it out Sunday but only concern I have is I don't have access to a snowmachine.  If I just use my 6 wheeler only on lake and not trails will this do ok?  Don't plan to do to much driving around as new to fishing it. 

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:00 PM »
So thinking of trying to make it out Sunday but only concern I have is I don't have access to a snowmachine.  If I just use my 6 wheeler only on lake and not trails will this do ok?  Don't plan to do to much driving around as new to fishing it.

If you do, just stay off the trails.  You might get by okay right now because there is so little snow this year.  But again I would stay off the trails.  Especially the groomed trails.

Offline Alcanzach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:13 PM »
Yeah I have no plans to go on trails just park unload and straight to Lake.  Thanks for the info! 

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2021, 03:38 PM »
Bushwack is talking about the groomed trails on the lake. Generally when wheeled vehicles go out on the lake they stay on the lake so when people ask to stay off the groomed trails they are talking about the trails on the lake.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:20 PM »
I wouldn’t recommend wheeled vehicles out there.  There are drifts this year and they just had a bunch of wind so it might have gotten worse.  There’s plenty of good fishing within easy walking distance of the boat launch if your not afraid to walk a little.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2021, 03:55 PM »
headed up next friday night and staying through monday. Probably going to be camped up on the NE side of louise. 6 man eskimo and  2 black and white skidoo summits. stop on by if you want to bs.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2021, 12:20 PM »
headed up next friday night and staying through monday. Probably going to be camped up on the NE side of louise. 6 man eskimo and  2 black and white skidoo summits. stop on by if you want to bs.

Hopefully your pop up doesn't get run over by a herd of caribou.  LOL.  There is like 50 billion caribou out there right now.  Completely ridiculous.  Wish I had a tag and the season was open.  About ran em over a couple times going down the trails.  Almost every lake and pond is full of them.  I don't dare put out my wolf snares this year.  I can almost guarantee I would snare a herd of caribou.  FYI, if you want to bring a little lynx sausage with you to try out when you are out there, give me a call and stop by.  I'd be happy to share some with you.  Especially considering you gave me all that bait at the beginning of season.  I owe you one.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:33 PM »
Looks like it should be nice and cool for you this weekend.  I got next sat off so I’ll finally be able to get back up.  I would imagine if there’s that many bou in the area there should be a few wolves around. 

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 05, 2021, 12:10 AM »
Looks like it should be nice and cool for you this weekend.  I got next sat off so I’ll finally be able to get back up.  I would imagine if there’s that many bou in the area there should be a few wolves around.

It's crazy bro, I am not even joking.  And yes you are right.  Wolves are around and coyotes have been wandering the trails and following the herds picking off the gut piles the hunters left behind.  I wish I could put out my wolf snares, but I know I will just catch a bunch of caribou.  Last weekend when I went down I seriously could not probably go 20 feet in any direction and not see some caribou tracks.  They are everywhere.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:43 AM »
we decided to go some where else to try to spear pike. have fished up there to many times when the high is around 0 and never do that well.  It happens every time, highs in the mid teens a week out. then slowly fall down to the single digits or below 0.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 28, 2021, 11:08 PM »
Anyone else enjoy that nice breeze and drifted in vehicles this morning.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:36 AM »
Anyone else enjoy that nice breeze and drifted in vehicles this morning.

Me, I did.  It was lovely.  LOL

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:09 PM »
Your truck wasn’t near as bad as mine.  Luckily it was soft so I just gunned it and busted right through.  Sure are a lot of bou hanging out in my neck of the woods, it’s nice to see the big herds again.

Offline DanielKPM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 14, 2021, 09:40 AM »
Hey guys, new to the forum, and lake Louise. Have fished it once in the summer with no luck. Planning on heading out there later this week with a buddy, possibly Thursday or so for an overnight trip. If y’all don’t mind telling me the condition the lakes in right now, that’d be much appreciated. As far as ice thickness, is my auger with no extension gonna penetrate through? Also any vague pointers on location to fish the lake would be great. Thanks in advance.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 14, 2021, 01:29 PM »
There is a ton of snow right now so overflow will be a problem.  I would bring the extension for your auger it’s pretty thick this year.  I haven’t fished Louise in a number of years so I couldn’t begin to tell you where to go.  Watch for caribou and try to give them a wide berth so as not to over stress them they are having a hard time getting around due to all the snow.

Offline DanielKPM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 14, 2021, 08:28 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the update man.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 15, 2021, 03:25 PM »
we always fish points and drop offs. generally 20'-40'

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 15, 2021, 09:47 PM »
I’ll be heading up Friday after work for a week so if anyone is up stop on down. 

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 16, 2021, 10:49 AM »
hope you guys get into some action like last year. I would join ya but kotz is calling.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Mar 16, 2021, 10:39 PM »
That should be an awesome trip.  What are the temps supposed to be up there, I’m looking at negative single digit lows for around here?  It hit -40 last weekend so we defiantly have some cold still lingering around.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 17, 2021, 11:21 AM »
seems to generally be around single digits the next week and a half. seems like they get a random 20 degree day once in a while. We are shipping up our 6 man eskimo for not if but when it decides to blow up there. buddy just saw a post that a family went out on the hotham inlet and pulled out 40 or so in a few hours, hope that type of fishing continues!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.