New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Opinion on Slot Limits  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Opinion on Slot Limits
« Reply #30 on: Aug 21, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I think that slots are good,every body of water is different and so is every fish type
let us use the people that know[D.E.C] to do what is RIGHT ,most of the biologist
in D.E.C. know what is right for the fish.look what they have done for the brookies
this is just  my opinion,but I have seen the brookies go from ZIP to 6lb. in my life time
this GREAT
I love fishing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

While I do agree that DEC does a nice job most of the time. I disagree that brook trout are bigger today than they were 50 years ago. I think there are just more people reporting their catches. I have heard of old timers that have caught numerous 5 and 6lb brookies, but would never tell a soul. Some people just want notoriety these days.  The other reason for the great brookie fishing these days is laziness. Camping is done on black top paths now adays didnt you get the memo.  ;D

Offline OWOF1946

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Aug 21, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Slot limits would be good in some fisheries in ny, like earlier mentioned Oneida. It is a great fishery but if there were a slot limit on walleye it would help preserve the growth of the species in this lake.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2014, 12:03 PM »

While I do agree that DEC does a nice job most of the time. I disagree that brook trout are bigger today than they were 50 years ago. I think there are just more people reporting their catches. I have heard of old timers that have caught numerous 5 and 6lb brookies, but would never tell a soul. Some people just want notoriety these days.  The other reason for the great brookie fishing these days is laziness. Camping is done on black top paths now adays didnt you get the memo.  ;D
YOU ARE 100% RIGHT, i am from the 50 years ago.[ i have been fishing from 1944 or 1945,
i walked the 18 plus miles to brooktrout lake to PUT BACK what i got
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Sep 03, 2014, 12:06 PM »
TO ME and only me, i think slots are good
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Sep 04, 2014, 01:52 PM »
YOU ARE 100% RIGHT, i am from the 50 years ago.[ i have been fishing from 1944 or 1945,
i walked the 18 plus miles to brooktrout lake to PUT BACK what i got
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

That must have been a great trip.  :thumbsup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Sep 06, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Oneida  is not designed to be a trophy lake it is a money maker brings in between 15-20 mill a year  , far as trophies 30 miles or so NW - Lake Ontario, if the biologists  thought it was necessary to do something with it they have done a long time ago , what we were told the size of the fish right now is about as big as they will ever be , not saying slots are bad , some lakes it would help out very much , and others not , the reason they lowered the size limit to 15" from 18"and a limit of 3 instead of 5  was to take the pressure  off that age group and it has helped  a bunch , if they don't get a handle on Lake Ontario this could end up a problem IMO slots might work there, reason just look at Oswego , use to see all kinds of 10LB plus eyes now there is still eyes there but the average size is way off that now and that comes from Captains I know, and from what I have seen growing up on the Salmon River area

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Sep 06, 2014, 01:17 PM »
TO ME AND ONLY ME, i think the D.E.C. biologists know more them US.
so let them try to bring these fish back.i donot have a P.H.D in any thing.
but have talked to several who have one. and they state that fish need
several year classes,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Sep 06, 2014, 01:45 PM »
TO ME AND ONLY ME, i think the D.E.C. biologists know more them US.
so let them try to bring these fish back.i do not have a P.H.D in any thing.
but have talked to several who have one. and they state that fish need
several year classes,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
well far as Oneida there are several  year class fish out there right now  and lots of them , far as Ontario I'm sure there is to, the point is if you beat the bigger ones out of  there means smaller size average fish , this has been done for decades, and now it shows

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Sep 25, 2014, 03:03 PM »
what type of fish are you talking about?????perch,eyes,bass,???
and why do you think the D.E.C  is wrong,and what why,WHAT
WOULD YOU DO????
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Sep 25, 2014, 05:24 PM »
No where did I say the dec is wrong , far as fixing Oswego eyes it will cure it self in time , due to less fishing pressure, , Also due to more and more people concentrating on black river and the bay's up that way , Oneida is very healthy as I stated before and one big reason for that was the size and limit was lowered to 3 fish and15" , to take some of the pressure off the larger ones and I'm talking about WALLEYES  ;D
PS ,I stated maybe a slot limit might help on Lake Ontario WALLEYES!!!, or go back to the old rule ,limit kept your done move on to the next species , we lived with that one for ever ,  ;D

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Sep 27, 2014, 12:19 PM »
YOU ARE RIGHT ON--it will cure it self in time[each pond of water and each fish
is different
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #41 on: Sep 29, 2014, 01:16 AM »
Slot limits are implimented on self sustaining populations to keep breeders in the system.  Oneida is primarily stocked so what is the sense in having an over abundance of spawners?  Isn't the natural reproduction in Oneida very low?  If this is the case, a slot limit would be a waste. 

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Sep 29, 2014, 01:15 PM »
please check out the HATCHERY ON THE NORTH side[you will love it]
the eyes swim right into the hatchery,so other waters can be stocked
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Sep 30, 2014, 07:00 AM »
Slot limits are implimented on self sustaining populations to keep breeders in the system.  Oneida is primarily stocked so what is the sense in having an over abundance of spawners?  Isn't the natural reproduction in Oneida very low?  If this is the case, a slot limit would be a waste.

Agreed it is by design a put and take fishery for eyes , I think 15-20 mill a year take in from fishing verifies this , but there has been years with more than 750,000 adult eyes in Oneida , according to reports and as little as 200,000, and is the second most fished lake in NY ,my personal favorite for flats, perch and eyes but I do fish many other lakes during the ice season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.