Author Topic: Fishing with Kids  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Broncoman

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing with Kids
« on: Feb 28, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I'm looking for somewhere to take my 6 year old boys fishing. I want them to catch something, don't care if they're keepers. Anybody have a suggestion on where I can take them within an hour of Marquette?
Any input would be appreciated!

Offline Teggs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing with Kids
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:51 AM »
There is safe ice on all the inland lakes and some of the big lake bays. With the snow melting most places are easily Acessable. You should be able to fish at will. Fish are actice now so whatever you wanna fish for should be a good bite. I would check out species you want to fish for and then scope out the lakes nearby that have them. The dnr stocking report online is good for finding stocked lakes. i usually use the books you can buy for east/western up. You can find out a lot of info on local lakes with them, i think they are 25bucks at most tackle shops.

Offline Broncoman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Thanks Teggs
We went to East Bass for a few hours but nothing

Offline Lake Bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2018, 10:00 PM »
It would be  a little more than an hour drive for you, but the smelt fishing in Keweenaw Bay has been fantastic. Usually go out an hour or so before dark and the bite has been really good. After dark, you set an underwater light just about 10' or so below the ice, and it will attract the smelt. Can easily get over 100 smelt within a couple hours on a good night. Lots of fun for kids, and some great eating as well!

Good Luck!

Offline Platinum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Broncoman...  Have you thought about taking them to Munising?  Lots of smelt over there too, plus the coho and splake,

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Give it another week or 2 and Pike Bay in Chassell will have very good crappie fishing.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline Teggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Np man i am glad you got out. E bass is a hard lake to learn but tons of fun. We are going tonight to load up on gills and walleye before the season closes tomorrow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.