The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fish and HuntLicense Price Increase  (Read 10276 times)

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fish and HuntLicense Price Increase
« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:50 PM »
i agree we need to pass the cost of DIF&W on to the outer-stater they get to enjoy the wildlife that you and i have worked hard to either maintain or bring back.sure their fees are a little higher then ours but not by that much in comparison to other states.salt water liscense hell i'd buy one of thos that cheap then at least i know the other people on the beaches or jettys or offshore are payin their fair share

Out of stater license could be twice as much probably but if we reduce demand for out of state licenses alot more than license fees goes down hotels restaurants gas etc.  Your job is at stake.  Economics are impervious to our emotions.
sorry if an angler from mass had a choice ,fish mass or maine he would likely come to maine no matter what the cost.try camping in the big woods of boston ,or maybe central park.we have what they want and thier pay scale is alot higher than ours ,you know what a carpenter in mass gets versus maine scary!!!
Your right about that. Maine has what Mass. wants and since they have the money, they are buying it! Look at what is happening to the Moosehead area. As they say, it is no longer southern maine, it is northern Mass!

bluewinger

« Reply #31 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:30 PM »
you're rite adding a saltwater stamp to everyones liscense and increasing thiers by 10 - 20$ is jus gonna be a drop in the bucket and won't reduce the amount of revenue. jus think as an out of stater you can hop the train in mass and come to maine for a day of fishin and not pay a thing except train fare

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Yea, more licenses, too bad Baldicci won't hire anymore wardens to enforce those laws....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:19 PM »
i agree we need to pass the cost of DIF&W on to the outer-stater they get to enjoy the wildlife that you and i have worked hard to either maintain or bring back.sure their fees are a little higher then ours but not by that much in comparison to other states.salt water liscense hell i'd buy one of thos that cheap then at least i know the other people on the beaches or jettys or offshore are payin their fair share

Out of stater license could be twice as much probably but if we reduce demand for out of state licenses alot more than license fees goes down hotels restaurants gas etc.  Your job is at stake.  Economics are impervious to our emotions.
sorry if an angler from mass had a choice ,fish mass or maine he would likely come to maine no matter what the cost.try camping in the big woods of boston ,or maybe central park.we have what they want and thier pay scale is alot higher than ours ,you know what a carpenter in mass gets versus maine scary!!!
Your right about that. Maine has what Mass. wants and since they have the money, they are buying it! Look at what is happening to the Moosehead area. As they say, it is no longer southern maine, it is northern Mass!
VERY TRUE!
It's a catch 22 though.  We need the tourist $$, but we don't want them to stay too long. What scares me is that the tourists are starting to focus on VT and NH and upper New York state more and more.  Have you ever fished New York (ontario and the rivers there).  The fish are HUGE! and there's lots of them! Granted there's a ton of people, but traveling fishermen are going there instead of here cause the fishing is better.  I don't like that either.

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #34 on: Mar 23, 2005, 05:18 AM »
try camping in the big woods of boston ,or maybe central park.

We camped out in Lowell a couple times, your right, it ain't nothing like camping out on the bank of Seboomec Lake(i know nice spellin) north of Moosehead

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #35 on: Mar 23, 2005, 08:40 PM »
I have nothing against out-of staters, my wife is from Mass. I just hate to see Maine turn into Popeye land, if you ever saw the movie, the tax collector was right on Popeye's back charging him a tax on everything. Walking on the right side of the road tax, looking at the sunset tax and so on. Today, in the paper, the bloodsuckers in Augusta decided to up the budget by 100 million. Taxes on canoe and kayaks and even a permit to walk in the woods. They even made four more positions in the state senate at the tune of $450,000.00, just what we need. Augusta hasn't a clue on what Maine people need. The difference between Maine natives and out-of-staters is that we are independent and still have that feel of freedom racing though our blood. They have been taxed and permitted into a state of numbness and wouldn't know to act if they were truely free. What I really hate to see is when Maine people have to sell the family farm because they can't keep up with the taxes. I live on land that has been in my family for over 200 hundred years, I wonder how many people in Mass. can say that? I hope I don't fail my ancestors and have to sell because of taxes. Time for another pill.
Steve

Offline me0nat0

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Yea, more licenses, too bad Baldicci won't hire anymore wardens to enforce those laws....

Instead of more wardens absorbing tax revenues, if we Mainers were more vigilant of our own natural resources (especially in regards to those with the red and white license plates who may not be as familiar with the rule book) we all could help preserve our tourist dollar generating fish and wild game.  Think about it: how many times have to met another sportsman in the woods or on the lake vs. how many times you've chatted up the "man in green"?

And personally I would like to be reimbursed by the midwest industries for each and every fish I catch that I cannot eat due to the levels of mercury found everywhere.  A free new truck from Detroit would be a good start! 
I live my life by one basic tenet: big fish eat little fish.

iceman04

« Reply #37 on: Mar 24, 2005, 10:23 AM »
I think we need to look at what we're debating here.  We're talking about raising the cost of licenses/stamps . . . but what for?  it doesn't matter if it is in state or out of state licenses, what will it help????  nothing, until the money spent stops going into the general fund (as someone has already said).  so why should we suggest any type of license increase until we get that money headed back in our direction?? 

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2005, 11:23 AM »
Yup, I'm a MassHole, just last week I came to your state and dropped a grand into your economy. The price of gas went up 10 cents in the week I was there, I've bought license's for hunting and fishing for 30 some years along with Vt. And N.H. and of course here at home. Why on God's green earth do you want to loose us folks helping out by coming up and dropping $$$$$ ? You should live down here and see how the money never goes to what it was intended for.You are not unique. Our resident lic's cost more than yours, we have added fee's for this and that, over and over, but the dough ends up not being used for what they say, it is just revenue enhancment for the fat cat politico's to blow someplace else. But don't say let's make up the difference on those folk's driving the red and white plates. Thats not fair! I cherrish the hours spent in Maine, my Mom was born and raised in Maine, I spent my youth in Maine, every chance I could. And I plan on buying a place soon. My grandmothers family were one of the largest potatoe producers in Maine at one time. They didn't pass on the farm, they're done. A shame! Blame NAFTA, Washington, Agusta, Boston. Don't penalize the sportsman. And don't lump me in with the tourist either, the tourist/sportsman especially. I love the outdoors and empathize with you all. Just hope that you never end up like Taxachusetts. Ahh, the way Life used to be !
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 24, 2005, 11:34 AM »
who changed my definition of a Mass Resident? (ma$$hole) to Mdummy, I'm no dummy.

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #40 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Flapjack (this is not directed at you, but rather a general statement) if you want to talk about fair then how is it fair that massholes get to come to our state and make a mess out of it...more often then not I see a group of out-of-staters and they are always boozin and leaving there empties everywhere and what not...

how is that "fair"?

Thats great that you want to buy a place here, seems like all non-residents do...and it always seems like they buy up the best land and post the he*$ out of it...once again not fair

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:17 PM »
I started the topic and from what I read, everybody has some great thoughts on the subject. In review, I think we all agree that as sportsman who love to hunt and fish, we will pay what ever the cost is. More so if we know that it goes to what it is suppose to instead of the general fund. As with every state, politics, false promises, and the great outdoors rarely come together piecefully. That is why true sportsmans and watch dog groups are needed all the time. This forum is one of them and it is great to see people so passionate about the outdoors.

Also, in Maine where are economy struggles, especially in the northern part, we need the out of state revenue. I personally do not like to generalize in saying out of staters are to blame for messes. In truth, it is the careless and lazy individual that may or may not call himself a sportsman that is the problem. In my earlier post, I told of someone dumping tires of my fathers property to save a few bucks so my father can end up paying for it, is a prime example of this pathetic creature.

In summary, hike up my license fee, make the recreational sportsman pay, but put it back where it belongs and keep this state and others outdoor hearitage the best it can be.

Fish ON!

bluewinger

« Reply #42 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:22 PM »
if we could only force the state to follow our constitution things would be a little better - but as usual the dept is the first one to get raided in pinch time or to be jus plain ole ignored

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Well I'll take it as that, a general statement. But as far as someone coming to youre state and making a mess out of it, I saw firsthand what at least 3 natives left behind for a mess after pulling their shacks off Pleasant Lake in Island Falls this weekend, all the blocking, frozen in skirts and what looked like the trash barrel of the local Gin Mill after a busy Saturday night. And I read the names of the owners of these shacks, 1 from Millinocket and 2 from Medway. And at Sebago there was some messes left there also, several as a matter of fact. Never mind the 2 shacks with the names removed, broken in several pieces and left at the beach.
   Secondly, lumping people in to groups, I do not drink so I'll be leavin' no empties 'round for you! So in general, last week my impression of the native has been as you see in the non-resident. And last, I only want a buildable lot, that leaves nothing to post as far as land goes. Because I, am not a wealthy man, but a proud man and a decendant of many,many generations of Native Mainers, from the Houlton area. But would you rather another ROXANNE QUIMBY, you have heard of her haven't you? If not may be you can ask around or some other folks on the site who know of her and her actions can enlighten you. We aren't all bad apples, and I know it only takes one to spoil for all ! We could turn this into another PIKE debate, which I am following with great interest. TOUGUEBUSTER, you da' man ! As I am a Trouter myself. FAIR.... I wish I could do something to change your mind about us, but it seems as though you are convinced that non-residents are no good for Maine. FAIR 'nuff. And no I don't take it personal, because I can look myself in the mirror. THATS FAIR, to me.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #44 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:43 PM »
who changed my definition of a Mass Resident? (ma$$hole) to Mdummy, I'm no dummy.

the software that runs this site automatically substitutes some words

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 24, 2005, 03:56 PM »
No problem on the auto-edit. And folks, please do not take any post of mine as mean-spirited, there are good and poor sportsmen in every state. I, for one, am willing to pay any price to keep what we have. The debate on this section of the Shanty is outstanding, and for the most part is right-on and quite stimulating.
                                           flap..............

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #46 on: Mar 24, 2005, 04:17 PM »
People like roxanne quimby need to be locked in the looney bin for life!  >:D

I know all too well of her antics if you will...I have not been a part of any debates involving her on this forum but I can only imagine what they would be like with the strongly opinionated chaps on here

I agree about some of the natives...theres always one in the crowd, and if there isnt then its you...People like this will eventually be the demise of all outdoor sporting the same sporting that so many of us would bend over backward, upside down, sideways...to save

brooktrouter

« Reply #47 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:16 PM »
 just an opinion, i'll pay the extra fee's , Just wish IFW were its own entity again and not in the general fund, drives me nuts.robbing peter to pay paul ,as usual.

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #48 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:52 PM »
No problem on the auto-edit. And folks, please do not take any post of mine as mean-spirited, there are good and poor sportsmen in every state. I, for one, am willing to pay any price to keep what we have. The debate on this section of the Shanty is outstanding, and for the most part is right-on and quite stimulating.
                                           flap..............
glad to keep you interested flapjack, there are some on here that think that debate is bad for our maine section,but as you can see im not one of those !!! nothing wrong with good healthy debate ,it sparks interest in topics and could stop someone from doing the wrong thing or can change a persons view on a subject when ,given facts or examples. im sure glad you love maine and come up anytime to fish for trout . its people like you and others out there that treasure what we have that inspire me to stop the threat of invasives, feel free to chime in your thoughts im sure otheres would like your take on why you come to maine. ........... and by the way ,im not trying to price it out of the reach of the common guy ,just keep it in line like other states do to non residents! i know i pay through the buut to go anywhere else!!!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fryeman

« Reply #49 on: Mar 25, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Guys, I was a little bit taken aback by some of the comments in this thread, especially those aimed at out of staters.  I have always found the people of Maine to be some of the friendliest people anywhere, and I have travelled alot in my job to many parts of the US.  I am one of those out of staters you are referring to.  I have been coming to Maine for years and chose to invest in a home in Maine because it is a great place for my kids to visit and we like being there.  I'm sorry that I contribute over $2K in property taxes to your schools and ask for nothing in return. The town I have a home in doesn't have any kids in any Maine schools (Frye Island) and we contribute alot to MSAD#6.  I'm sorry some of you think I'm rich.  By whose definition?  I drive 50 miles each way to work every day and work an average of 50-60 hours a week.  My wife works too on top of taking care of my two sons.  Over 4o% of my income goes to taxes (income property payroll and sales) and in the state I live in (CT) I have no idea where it goes.   To top it off I have to do consulting work on the side to send my son to catholic school because the schools in my town ( Supposedly one of the best in the county) suck. The sad fact is that many states like Maine are becoming service economies because most of the industry has gone offshore.  That makes serving "rich out of staters" even more important with services like construction etc.  I guess where I am going with this rant is that all states will spend as much money as you will give them. I know this because I work in the State and local tax field for a major company.  If you are unhappy with your tax situation vote out the folks that are there and replace them with folks that will control themselves. I actually agree that as far as tax policy goes, it is better to tax non residents than residents (Just ask FL).  I always treat everyone with respect, all I am asking is you return the favor.

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 25, 2005, 12:27 PM »
fryeman i hear you taxes suck just ask any mainer second or third in taxes and 48 th in pay!! most of us are just saying to raise out of state licenses to match the other states .look at the cost difference from non resident to resident!!! where else can you shoot a moose ,bear, deer turkey and fish,for just under 300.00 that the biggest bargain in hunting and fishing in the usa or canada. we are just asking pay a little more to useour resources cuz you would takeit up the a$$ anywhere else!!!and by the way thatsgiving you ten cahances in the moose lottery,and you as non-residents get to buy as many chances as you can afford. residents cant. im not anti non resident, im happy you enjoy maine . but we all have to pay!!!! some just pay more!! i know i and alot of others on here would love to have a camp on frye!! treasure it !!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I did it all for the brookie, the brookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 25, 2005, 12:38 PM »
                                           flap..............
not all of us stereotype those from 'away'...(with one exception..the beeswax lady can kiss my a$$!    ;-) .......and if you decide to purchase land around Pleasant please don't buy it all up, I'd like to retire there someday!  :-)
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Fryeman

« Reply #52 on: Mar 25, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Guys I agree that I am willing to pay for what I get, and as a non resident, I am willing to pay more. As everywhere, I just want to be satisfied I am getting my $'s worth.  As for the Beeswax Lady, if you want to see what will happen to your state if she gets power, look to VT.  30 years ago it was very much like ME.  Today it is run by former communists.  I really enjoy your great state, FI and Weav, I promise not to steal anything near pleasant- its all yours!!!

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 25, 2005, 05:02 PM »
                                           flap..............
not all of us stereotype those from 'away'...(with one exception..the beeswax lady can kiss my a$$!    ;-) .......and if you decide to purchase land around Pleasant please don't buy it all up, I'd like to retire there someday!  :-)

As a matter of fact a friend of mine has just purchased the Barn and fields across the street from the old Ski hill on Rt. 2, several nice lakefront lots on Mattawamkeag down to the Sportsmans Club on the left. May just get lucky and own one of em' on the Lake and sled trail. And I won't post it, cuz the deer are all across the street and my pal Sue lets us hunt it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.