Author Topic: In-line reel retrieve  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Fadetoblack188

• IceShanty Rookie
In-line reel retrieve
« on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:31 PM »
Looking to pick up a black Betty inline reel. My first inline.

I am a righty.

My spinning reels I crank with my left hand. And my jigging saltwater reels conventional reels I crank with my right hand. My bait casters for freshwater I crank with left.

What hand should I be cranking an inline reel??

Thabks

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: In-line reel retrieve
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:06 PM »
If you are right handed, then you want to crank with your left, like you do with your spinning reels.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:34 PM »
Same as a spinning. So you would get left handed.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:51 AM »
Hold the rod with the hand you work the lure the best. Crank with the other.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Hold the rod with the hand you work the lure the best. Crank with the other.

Agreed... There is no real correct answer we can give, it's your rod, your reel, and your hands... Do what feels right to you.
I'm right handed and hold rod in the left and crank with the right, I've been told I'm doing it backwards. I usually walk away from that conversation lol..
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:36 AM »
I would also suggest rod in the right hand and crank with your left.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Agreed... There is no real correct answer we can give, it's your rod, your reel, and your hands... Do what feels right to you.
I'm right handed and hold rod in the left and crank with the right, I've been told I'm doing it backwards. I usually walk away from that conversation lol..

I grew up with an old steel True Temper rod and direct drive Langley Streamlite reel. Standard baitcast deal crank on the right. Got some older and it was a much nicer glass (something or other) rod and a spinning reel. Even though the handle was convertible it came on the left and I learned to deal with it. After a couple decades of exclusive spinning gear I got into musky fishing and that mainstream was baitcasting. Now I'm trying to re-learn casting and cranking with the other side. Even kept both right and left casting reels and would switch off.

Eventually I learned that though I could cast and crank as efficiently with either hand, I always worked lures better with my right hand than my left. Sold all the righties and bought all lefties. Perfectly happy.

So... which hand are you most comfortable jigging with? The rest is learnable.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Looking to pick up a black Betty inline reel. My first inline.

I am a righty.

My spinning reels I crank with my left hand. And my jigging saltwater reels conventional reels I crank with my right hand. My bait casters for freshwater I crank with left.

What hand should I be cranking an inline reel??

Thabks

Your free hand.

Only you will know which hand feels most comfortable.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:30 PM »
Just a heads-up. I recently just got a black Betty. Originally tried to spool the reel and was winding but the spool wasn’t spinning to load the reel with line. You’ll most likely have to tighten your drag before you spool. On these reels you need to rotate the star drag until it feels “loose”. This, counterintuitively puts you at the tightest drag setting where you’ll be able to normally spool your line. If you tighten the star drag until it feels tight, you’ll be at the loose setting and if you try to reel at this setting you won’t make any headway with the spool. It doesn’t make sense until you go through it.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:33 PM »
I have tried both- I run 2 rods, 1 in each hand jigging, and thought that if I put the cranks to the inside, I could quickly set the hook, drop the other rod, and start reeling the one with the fish without switching hands. Alas, I am not that coordinated. Messed up with the left rod a lot.
Now I run all of them left hand reel, and mess up a little less.
I have decided that I just don't like inline reels. I seem to always hit the star drag, and end up reeling madly while the fish spools me.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:34 PM »
I use this. It can be set up left or right hand. A blast to fish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.