Author Topic: my suburban needs tires  (Read 1633 times)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
my suburban needs tires
« on: Oct 02, 2016, 12:34 PM »
I have an 89 suburban that has 31-10.5-15 tires that have been on it since I bought it.  It shows factory size was 235-75-15 which is a smaller tire.  I will be putting all terrain tires on it when I put new ones on.  My question for everyone is if there are advantages/disadvantages to one of the sizes over the other.  My vehicle is used mainly for hunting and fishing and I rarely pull anything with it.  I am putting new shocks all the way around and replacing the front bearings this week and trying to get it ready for the upcoming season.  So my questions for you is which size would you put on a hunting/fishing vehicle, 235's or 31's or something in between like 30's.

thanks
jr50

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: my suburban needs tires
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2016, 01:04 PM »
31.    More height for ground clearance

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2016, 01:39 PM »
I would go with the bigger tires for ground clearance. Just remember when off reading through deep snow or mud to run it in first or second gear assuming it's an automatic since you've got a higher gear ratio with the bigger tires, assuming it's a stock rear end. I'm a big fan of the Good Year Duratracks myself. Excellent in snow.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2016, 02:51 PM »
Changing tire size changes your speedometer reading for whatever that's worth to you

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2016, 03:41 PM »
I am sure my speedometer is off but I don't worry about it as I don't go over 60-65 with it.  I am more wondering which is better for control and traction.  I saw a suburban the other day similar to mine with the 235's and they look small on the vehicle but maybe it is because I am used to the way mine looks.  So far the suggestions are for the 31's but keep them coming.

jr50

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2016, 03:48 PM »
Skinnier tires have less chance of hydroplaning.. And are better at gripping the road when it's snowing out.. Also better MPG...

Wider tires are better on bare ice though. Also might help to float on top with really deep snow..

For every plus there is a minus to go with it.. For example, BF Goodrich All Terrain AT are some of the best, but the price is the worst..

<°)))>{

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2016, 09:54 AM »
I would go with the bigger tires for ground clearance. Just remember when off reading through deep snow or mud to run it in first or second gear assuming it's an automatic since you've got a higher gear ratio with the bigger tires, assuming it's a stock rear end. I'm a big fan of the Good Year Duratracks myself. Excellent in snow.

X2, put a set on our Sport Trac and they're amazing.

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2016, 09:37 AM »
I ended up putting a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM in 31/10.5/15 tires on my suburban.  I talked to the local small town tire store and they recommended the tires to me.  I have a new set of tires, alignment, and new shocks all around so now I'm ready for ice fishing to start.  Actually I would like a month of duck and goose hunting then bring on the ice fishing but either way I am set for it now.

thanks for the suggestions

jr50

sunniewally

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2016, 06:52 AM »
I have better luck with narrower tires. the big wide ones just float on top of wet snow and spin.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Just went through the tire thing on my pickup. Nice aggressive 265/75/16 were 900 bucks up. Talked to the guys in the shop at work to see where they get there's. They use tread right remolded tires. They are all 1 ton trucks overloaded all the time and beat to death in the woods. Logging operation. They have 7 trucks with them and have used them for years with no problems. I bought 4 for my truck for 440 delivered to my house. All used under 2 oz. Of weight to balance. They are very aggressive. Pull great in mud but howl on dry roads. For the price I am happy with them. We will see how many miles they last.  Steve

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2016, 08:57 AM »
I run the cooper discoverer at3 best tire I've used on snow and ice to rocks and mud
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:25 AM »
my 89 dodge power ram has had 31s on it many times but calls for 235 75 15 also.i like the smaller pizza cutter tires on my dodge in the winter and not the big lug treads.speedo was off, bigger tires are more money.so I  went back to the recommended tire size,and got a set of goodyear wranglers for $241 shipped on black friday from discount tire on ebay.was running firestone destination at which were great winter tires.if I off roaded more I would go back to 31s but I haven't been stuck in a boat launch in 15 years with my trusty/rusty dodge and pulled numerous other truck out too..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.