Author Topic: Maryland/Pennsylvania/West Virginia Region: 2011-2012 ice fishing season  (Read 6369 times)

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
It's only mid-October...however it's never too early to talk hard water. Just wanted to start a thread dedicated to the Md, Pa, & Wv areas for ice fishing this year. Maybe we can post this past year's spring and summer trends along with winter predictions for the upcoming season. Also feel free to include a summary of last year's successes and failures during the winter season.

Also feel free to include best places for tackle, bait, and any other relevant info....

Look forward to the conversations...tight lines!

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all a part o' fishin, son.
Don't want to start this thread on a downer but Matt at Nicklow's Bait Shop in Addison, PA, passed away earlier this month.  He was a great guy always gave me a good discount.  I will miss not talking to him on my Thanksgiving pilgramidge to Nicklows.  RIP Matt, you were a good dude!!

Hoping for a similar season as last year, started fishing a Michigan rig, one fly above a heavier jig was the ticket early.  Green with dots, diamond jig,  seemed to be the jig of the year in my fishing circle.  Had a bud kill em all year.  School bus yellow not as productive as the hellish snow fall year of 09.  Getting real itchy, might put the trap on skis this year.
Got any Maggots?

Offline CBOYCE1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 25" walleye on 2lb test with a 3mm jig STUD!!!!!
School bus hasn't been hot for me either in the passed couple of years.  Mud bug in tiger beetle was the go to last year.  Spoons also, proscandinavia.com pro pimple with one of their droppers was always productive.  Even caught a gill on a chubby darter but that was the only taker for it.  I like the chubby but it just doesn't seem to produce for me.
If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
I use the chubby darter with a dead stick. 80% of the time my dead stick gets hit. I usually fish about 4 yards away and rip real.aggressive...then use it finesse style to just make it rattle....draws big aggressive fish in. If no bites I keep it moving. Not a good bait for middle of the season. My finesse baits that were real tiny and key lime pie colored killed panfish....supposed to get down around 32 tonight in the region...this weather brings out the itch....has anyone fished sleepy creek lake in wv?

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
I caught a huge bass on a dead stick last year, 4lber, shiner.  My jiggin Rapalas weren't too productive last year.  I gave up fishing them.  Funny how some lures will kill  em one year and nothing the next.

bobby, now we're talkin' com on still nights in the 20s.  You tip those Darters, maggot, wax, fishhead, perch eye?

CBOYCE, what do you think of those jazzed up treble hooks on Proscan.  I been thinkin about tryin one of those Trantulas as well.  Dang, there kinda scary.  Couldn't imagine gettin one of those monster outta a glove or a hat, just cut the whole thing out gettin it free. ;D
Got any Maggots?

Offline CBOYCE1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 25" walleye on 2lb test with a 3mm jig STUD!!!!!
The dropper and the trebble are they key.  The spoon itself is very nice and has great action but I put their droppers and hooks on all my spoons.
If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
GET- perch eyes are bigtime...but the best are white perch eyes....they work wonders on  a swedish pimple.

What bodies of water do you guys fish...

Anyone fish sleepy creek lake just west of martinsburg, wv?

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
bobby,

I fish Deep Creek most of the time.  I want to get to Piney this year and maybe Little Meadows during ice season.  Blairs Valley can be fun and I went to Greenbriar one time but got skunked.
Got any Maggots?

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
I hear deep creek is a good fishery... I have actually never ice fished in Maryland...I moved down from new York not too long ago...ice fished alot in CT and NY but never in md  pa or wv. So this year I gotta get with some guys that know the ropes in the area...I have fly-fished, surf fished, and been out on rivers and lakes in md, pa...so this year I am hoping to get ALOT of time on the hard water.

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone know of decent bait located...say...60 mile radius of hagerstown...pa,md,or wv...

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
Been pretty tough since Wolf's in Wmsport closed.  What kinda bait?  Check last year's posts in MD...reports, there was a guy that was getting a license to sell in Boonsboro.  There was a bait shop in Brunswick probably closes in  winter.  I heard tell of bait in Ft. Loudoun, PA.  Pet Smart or some other pet shops, tropical fish stores would have wax worms.  Internet could get you spikes, but minnows that is tough.
Got any Maggots?

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
I am lucky to have 2 bait shops within a mile of my house so I always have about a pound of shiners/fatheads in my bait tank. I was thinking about trying to catch some chubs this year for the tip ups. However that seems like more work. Good advice about pet shops for wax worms Getthenet just make sure they are healthy looking before buying.

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone know how smoketown bait and tackle is in Brunswick MD ...do they carry live bait through winter...any hard water products?

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
bobby11,
Been there a few times.  Seems to mostly cater to the Potomac river fisher.  Plenty of bait including helgramites, and tackle.  Owner is real nice and helpful with tips on what is good to use at that time.  I come through Brunswick every day to and from work so I will make a stop and see what the winter hours are if any.  I am pretty sure no hard water stuff most because there aint too much hard water or nuts to fish it round there.  I'll let you know.
Got any Maggots?

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Getthenet thanks for the effort...look forward to you findings!

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
I spoke with a DNR guy today...we got on the topic of piney run reservoir in Carroll county...next to eldersburg...he was telling me that they stock it with tiger muskie and it is commonly ice fished...does anyone have any experience to add with this posting? Or heard of the same?

Offline Flying Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
I used to ice fish it years ago( early 80's)...prior to any muskie intro.  Mainly bass from the deep channels then. It was a relatively new lake and had not developed a strong pan fish base. I seem to remember they put stripers or hybrids in there at the time.

Nice to hear they still allow ice fishing....may check it out again!

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Frenchman,
Very good to here...I'll probably try it out myself this year. A local gentleman was also there with the DNR officer and he swore by the lake up at Cunningham falls park...I have fished there in the summer months catching some large panfish and respectable bass...but not much else....anyone ice fish that lake?

Offline Getthenet

• IceShanty Rookie
bobby11,
Stopped by Smoketown today.  Nothing shakin'.  Not even an phone number on the window.  I suspect the owner has another job and opens on the weekends during the Potomac season.

However, the Bassin Box in LaVale has minnows all winter, maggots and waxies.  Nice guy there also.  He is busy with deer hunters this time of year but once he gets to know you he will even let you dip your own minnows. Got hard water tackle during the season as well.

We need to hook up and fish Cunningham when I get the flu one day this January.
Got any Maggots?

Offline Flying Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
Ditto on the Bassin box.  Old school shop that I like doing business with. He told me last year he gets his minnows and bugs from Nicklows... it saves me some travel time when heading west.       

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Getthenet....I take you up on that cunningham falls trip...let me know when u aren't feeling well in Jan. We can set something up.

Offline strikequeen34

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey everyone, is there anyone out there that would be interested in sharing some helpful info about fishing deep creek lake or rocky gap. We mostly fish pa and places like big pool and little pool but we are close to rocky gap and deep creek also. I've fished rocky gap a lot but never on the ice. Any info would be extremely helpful.. Thanks guys.

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake habeeb (rocky gap state park) has a ton species in it...bows and browns, cats, smallies and bucket mouths, and a large assortment of panfish. There are artificial 'reefs' in the lake...various structures that hold good fish. Can't give away the spots...gotta put the work in to find em...but if u got a vex it shouldn't take you long...large number of guys on this forum seem to fish it in the winter months.

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Strike queen,
Have u fished raystown lake in the winter? Can u get stripers through the ice? Also, have u ever fished or know anything about Cowans gap state park lake...hard water conditions, species, etc., or meadow grounds lake over in state game land 53 by  Mcconnellsburg?

Offline strikequeen34

• IceShanty Rookie
Bobby,
  I have fished both cowans gap and meadow grounds, I'm not sure how the gap will be this season there was an ecoli breakout there this summer so I'm not sure what's going on with that. I do enjoy fishing there though, we do well with panfish and also the stocked trout.. We also fish meadow grounds from time to time. It's one of those places that is hit or miss, but it is like that all year round. We usually do well there with panfish, there is some good underwater structure that I found in the summer. I've heard of people catching muskie there, I do a lot of Muskie fishing other places but I have never seen any at meadow grounds..

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikequeen,
Good.to.here about muskie...might have to hook up for.some.pike.of muskie trips if u have it planned this season...thanks for the info...

Offline bobby11vd

• IceShanty Rookie
Took a Sunday drive this evening...couple of different water bodies showed skim ice....the sub 30 temps are making for cold water...the itch is becoming worse...anyone else see any signs of hard water....?

Offline strikequeen34

• IceShanty Rookie
The countdown begins Bobby.. ;)

Offline shanedoe

• IceShanty Rookie
I've been counting down since April. Another 2-3 weeks, HOPEFULLY!!!!

Offline strikequeen34

• IceShanty Rookie
Where do you do most of your fishing Shane?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.