Author Topic: Take a look at this map  (Read 4601 times)

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Take a look at this map
« on: Sep 07, 2014, 09:56 PM »
I have a lake a relatively close to home with a fairly healthy perch population.  We ice fished it twice last year, and had decent success on crappie, gills, a couple sunfish, and one 7" perch.  We were fishing 5-10 FOW (near the pinpoint on the map), on a drop off with a tree on it.  It dropped from 5fow to 8fow in about 2'. 

Map scrolled to the east:

I wish the map was a little more detailed, but that's what Navionics shows.  I believe there is a paper map available at the marina, but I haven't made it there yet.

There is dock in the tip of the bay where the pinpoint is, where I will be putting in.  I'd like to stick to that side of the lake, as the waterfowl keep much of the center of the lake open during the winter. 

Well, I fished off that dock today, trying a variety of baits and presentations.  All I could do to catch the perch was a slip bobber and worm, which is fine, but I couldn't keep the bluegill off.  I tried 1" Gulp minnows, which caught nothing but gills, along with Gulp Minnow heads, and fish fry.  Drop shot-ing the same baits yielded similar results.  Don't get me wrong, I love catching gills, but when's there are 10"+ perch out there, they are kind of a nuisance. 

So I have a couple questions about fishing this on the ice.

On a large, very deep lake such as this, where would you target Perch?  (keep south side in mind)

I know it's not perch related, but where would you target walleye?  We spent a little time jigging for walleye out a little deeper on the ice last year, but only managed to find a 2lb Rudd. 

As far as I can tell, most of the bottom is soft, with rocks near the shore where they have been dumped.  There are quite a few brush piles that have been put in over the years, mostly close to shore.

Like I said, I had my best luck on half a nightcrawler under a bobber, on a chartruse octopus hook.  I brought three keepers home, filet'd them, and cut their guts open to find out what they've been eating. Found 2 of the 3 with 1" crawfish inside!

Looks like I need to find something to match them!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Take a look at this map
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2014, 06:52 AM »
The short answer ...Perch are fish of the flats(and the bottom)...so any section of lake with long spans of flats that's the area to search . Perch will be in the weeds at first ice then  work there way out ...eventually to the basin area ...then toward late ice back to the flats and weeds again .Transitional areas on the flat ie: weeds to sand ..gravel to mud etc will sometimes hold fish on that edge as well a smaller depressions and humps . . Once you get on them you can practically follow them toward the basin area outing after outing .If you can locate "sticky" bottom that's a good spot to search for them ..the sticky bottom will hold insect larva ...after landing a couple Perch they may burp up some of what they a gorging themselves on ...then "match the hatch"  . Pound the bottom with your spoons and jigs...a rattle spoon tipped with red spikes is irresistible to them . My best colors on my lake which is gin clear and for the most part 8 ft deep with a basin of 15 tops...is perch and minnow colors/patterns  ..slick jigs tipped with a minnow has also produced quite well. I don't recall having great success with "glowed up jigs" but you may on your lake . Fishing from a boat/dock in fall I would tie on a jig and a gray colored grub and bounce the bottom ...on the flats if you find where they are hold up before ice ..they will be there at first ice too. So fish the flats ...above a break and below a break ..NOT THE BREAK...If you get a copy of In-Fishermans Ice Fishing Secrets ..its a great read and will get you on fish of all species ..Ps if you have a flasher and its set just right you will see the bottom signal "fade" in/out signaling fish movement stuck on the bottom .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Thanks!

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Scatter your tips your first time out running from 5 to 25 feet of water to find where the fish are hanging out. I prefer 10-20 feet for perch at least on the lake I fish. If I were going to start on that map. I would head towards the 25 foot mark just to the left of your spot. Perch start off in the weeds early and then head for the flats. Good luck

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Thanks.  I did a little looking, and found a couple access points around the lake, one far to the northwest, with a nice big 10-15' flat near it.

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:52 AM »
Nice that will make it easier to get around. Looked like a long walk to most of the lake.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Yeah, it's about 900 acres, so a LONG walk to anywhere

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Reservoirs will hold schools of perch on the flats just outside of the bays. Also the deep water flats in front of the dam should hold fish. This lake resembles my local reservoir and that's where I get them!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Going to try and hit this lake Sunday.  I think we will be trying the NW end around the large flat.  There is a pretty good creek bed with some nice contour lines to try out.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:53 PM »
You'll be wasting your time on the breaks. Stick to the flats and drill baby drill!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:10 PM »
hoping for some toothy critters at dawn and dusk

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:22 PM »
hoping for some toothy critters at dawn and dusk
gotcha!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:50 PM »
Did mark a few fish along the channel before sunrise, but couldn't trigger a bite.

Moved to the flats at sunrise and couldn't find a thing. Moved all over the lake, not even a crappie to be found. 

Ended up on a brush pile full of decent bluegill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.