Author Topic: old mora light blue auger one piece?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
old mora light blue auger one piece?
« on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:52 PM »
had this 6" auger 20 years.  doesn't appear to come apart to vary the length.       the new one i see have a thrubolt feature

any feedback if the old ones separate? almost appears the aluminum crank was welded to the blue bottle m half

i wanted to use this with a cordless drill

danny

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: old mora light blue auger one piece?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:27 PM »
The galvanized handle unscrews counter clockwise from the bit. The best way to separate them is to use a pair of channel locks on the hex of the bit and a pair on the handle. This picture is my 40 year old 8” Mora hand auger that I adapted to the Ion quick coupler. I cleaned it up and painted the bit. The blades are 40 years old and cut through the ice like butter.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:27 PM »
I've got a 7" mora like that.  The bottom section has a threaded insert that is welded into the top of the blue section.  The top handle screws into the bottom section.  I think in theory it is supposed to come apart and be a two piece hand auger.  In practice the only way I have ever been able to take it apart again after using it is to clamp the bottom section in a bench vise and give the top section a good whack the heel of my hand in reverse to loosen it up.

Offline johnb340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:46 PM »
I had to use a pipe wrench to get my 6" Mora apart.  I have mine hooked up to an ice master adapter and a milwaukee drill and it works great.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:35 PM »
I have several Mora Hand augers - 6", couple 7" & 8" converted to power. Use a Mud Mixer or M18 fuel on early ice and Eskimo Mako 43 later ice. Most blades converted to chipper type and center point added. Handle threads to blue auger are M14 - 1.25 right thread so left turn to remove. They come off real hard after years of use. I run drills on direct drive chuck adapters or on Clam Plate. Also made several adapters. Also use the ION quick connect to screw in Hub anchors and connect drills. Photo covers all the above in addition to the M14 bolt I cut off and replaced handle part welding a section of blue shaft for 35" ice depth, without an extension, on my 8 incher.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:23 PM »
20 years ago should be 2pc with a thumb screw. The ones in the early 90's were threaded together. Did you buy it used? I wonder if someone didn't tack weld the screw handle to the shaft.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:41 PM »
I have piles of moras.offsets and reg handles and all are other screw in type or wing nut style.the threaded handles are non adjustable.but the kovac ice master drill adapter can use both style bits if your handle is threaded.

Offline socketboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2019, 10:24 AM »
 On Ebay there is lots of adapters to fit the old Mora auger for both the direct drill mounting and the Clam Plate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.