Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST  (Read 75698 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Heres my initial review of the new Rigid Octane Hammer Drill with  Best In Class 1300 in/lb of torque. I used this with my 4 year old 8" Nils Trekker Auger. This combo is a BEAST!! Check it out if your looking to get into a drill for ice fishing!!

INITIAL ON ICE REVIEW

MID SEASON UPDATE

25” OF ICE

Why I picked the Nils over the KDrill. 

OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good review! Thanks
Jig em up!

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was really impressed with mine, spinning an 8" K Drill.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great job on the video. Very informative.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wish all the features and benefits videos we see posted were as well executed as yours. Simple and to the point. No BS. That's a hot knife rig you have there.  I had my 8" Nils

rigged to a Fuel last year but it never cut as smoothly as you show. I added a Clam plate to give more control and that helped and this year went with the Ridgid Octane spinning a

7" Nero. The Clam plate seems to add a wobble element that's not present in your setup. I'm going to try strapping the Nero directly to the Octane this weekend, maybe with a

Kovac adaptor and see if I can get that wobble out of there. It cuts well but it feels like a 7" Nero is boring an 8" hole.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey stinky I run a new ridged-kovac-clam extension-Nero auger and there is little to no wobble. That is only true on my first hole and then I feel a little bit of looseness. It is the wing nut connecting my clam extension to the kovac. It loosens by just the slightest bit from bung hole tight and creates a little wobble. I intend to replace the wing nut with an Allen bolt that should have my system rock solid.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey stinky I run a new ridged-kovac-clam extension-Nero auger and there is little to no wobble. That is only true on my first hole and then I feel a little bit of looseness. It is the wing nut connecting my clam extension to the kovac. It loosens by just the slightest bit from bung hole tight and creates a little wobble. I intend to replace the wing nut with an Allen bolt that should have my system rock solid.
I'll see what I can figure out on my end. The only real downside to the Clam that I've found is that slop built into the shaft bearing. Having said that, it's a good way to help grapple with all that torque.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Just a few observations.

Its warm out with white (soft) ice.

17.4 lbs is heavy. My fuel setup weighs 11lbs.

Otherwise I'm sure it works just fine! ;D

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a few observations.

Poopoo parade has arrived.

I bet you don't have a nils auger, they're like 5 lbs heavier than other hand augers or the k-drill.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Poopoo parade has arrived.

I bet you don't have a nils auger, they're like 5 lbs heavier than other hand augers or the k-drill.

No I dont use a NILS.  Dont need the extra weight.

Hey it was merely an observation. I'm sorry I forgot you NILS guys are wound a little tight! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: RIGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. INITIAL ON ICE REVIEW.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Great job on the video. Very informative.
Thanks.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I wish all the features and benefits videos we see posted were as well executed as yours. Simple and to the point. No BS. That's a hot knife rig you have there.  I had my 8" Nils

rigged to a Fuel last year but it never cut as smoothly as you show. I added a Clam plate to give more control and that helped and this year went with the Ridgid Octane spinning a

7" Nero. The Clam plate seems to add a wobble element that's not present in your setup. I'm going to try strapping the Nero directly to the Octane this weekend, maybe with a

Kovac adaptor and see if I can get that wobble out of there. It cuts well but it feels like a 7" Nero is boring an 8" hole.
I initially thought I’d have to get a clam plate, but after what I felt this weekend, I won’t. It was more than comfortable. The frame on the octane is a little bigger than the Milwaukee 1200, so I think that helped with the stability as well.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Just a few observations.

Definitely a little heavier than some set ups.  The Nils is 100% steel which packs a few extra pounds on. The octane is a little heavier as well.

It was 20D, starting temp of zero, so it was still cold. Most of the ice I cut through was 5-6” of black ice, with 1-2” of top white ice. It was all solid.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:53 AM »
For those using shaver blades, like the nero or mora.  Does the auger catch at the end of the hole?
westernmas on the finder

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:54 PM »
For those using shaver blades, like the nero or mora.  Does the auger catch at the end of the hole?

For me they do, always have even doing it by hand.

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:59 PM »
pmaloney86 - I am using the Ridgid Octane hammer drill with a new 7" Mora and yes there is a pretty harsh catch as I break thru the bottom of the ice... that is really my only complaint about the setup as I came from a 700+lb brushless Hitachi hammer drill and 6" lazer and did not experience this same type of catch.  It definitely helps to lift up on the auger, but I was not able to eliminate the "catch" completely.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:00 PM »
For me they do, always have even doing it by hand.
I’ve tried a strikemaster and  Eskimo hand auger, both shaver and both wanted to bind up at the bottom of the hole.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:50 PM »
pmaloney86 - I am using the Ridgid Octane hammer drill with a new 7" Mora and yes there is a pretty harsh catch as I break thru the bottom of the ice... that is really my only complaint about the setup as I came from a 700+lb brushless Hitachi hammer drill and 6" lazer and did not experience this same type of catch.  It definitely helps to lift up on the auger, but I was not able to eliminate the "catch" completely.

Thank you!  I ended up getting the clam conversion kit due to this.  My girlfriend and less experienced people will be using it and I don't want anyone getting hurt.
westernmas on the finder

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:01 PM »
pmaloney86 - I use the Clam plate with mine as well and can't imagine using this new Octane/Mora combo without it.  Yes the plate adds weight, but as far as being able to control the auger when it catches the bottom it is totally worth the added weight to me.  If you haven't already seen the posts regarding the Clam plate trigger modification I would look for the thread, it is a nice upgrade for ~$6. Enjoy the new setup, I am amazed with the cutting ability.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Thank you!  I ended up getting the clam conversion kit due to this.  My girlfriend and less experienced people will be using it and I don't want anyone getting hurt.
Sounds like a good plan! Thinking this rigid would be rough with an auger that bit at the end of a cut.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:55 PM »

6" Nero with a clam extension direct to my fuel with a home machined adapter but she spins very true, to be honest I expected more wobble but it's strait and smooth, as mentioned above I tossed the wing nuts and replaced with allen head bolts to crank it nice and tight..

And nice video Pike
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Used my Octane with a Eskimo 8in. hand auger for the first time, you had better hang on when it breaks through or it will pull you right down to the ice. Man this thing really cuts though. I put it on a Clam Plate and can't imagine running it without one. I used a universal extension because I could not find a 12in. Ion. I can't believe how much bang and pop there is with this set up, I guess it's just the brake in the drill but sure makes a lot of noise. Not sure if it would help using the Ion extension instead of the Trophy Angler universal extension?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Let off the trigger slowly.less internal braking with the drill that way.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Used my Octane with a Eskimo 8in. hand auger for the first time, you had better hang on when it breaks through or it will pull you right down to the ice. Man this thing really cuts though. I put it on a Clam Plate and can't imagine running it without one. I used a universal extension because I could not find a 12in. Ion. I can't believe how much bang and pop there is with this set up, I guess it's just the brake in the drill but sure makes a lot of noise. Not sure if it would help using the Ion extension instead of the Trophy Angler universal extension?
Im not sure, I don't have any experiences with these extensions. But I could see where the breakthrough bite could be rough with the shave type blades. I don't feel any bite with my nils, so thinking I wont need a clam plate.

Offline fishnhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I used my Octane with a Mora 6" on a Clam plate last weekend and I thought it worked great. Very little grab, blew through the 5" of ice we had. I love it! I may get an extension and sell my Strike Master Lite.
[img]http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/albums/oldbear/team_iowa_logo5.thumb[im_]

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I used my Octane with a Mora 6" on a Clam plate last weekend and I thought it worked great. Very little grab, blew through the 5" of ice we had. I love it! I may get an extension and sell my Strike Master Lite.

Did you have a extension?

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Awesome. Glad it worked well for you. I’ve thought about selling my Strikemaster Lazer Pro too, if I didn’t fish for pike so much I’d get rid of it. I like the 10” for late season!

Offline fishnhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:03 PM »
I did not.
[img]http://www.iowaoutdoors.org/albums/oldbear/team_iowa_logo5.thumb[im_]

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:27 PM »
I can’t wait to try this, got my 7” Nero the other day, Rigid is coming for Christmas. I’m going to start out without the clam plate and see what happens.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.