Author Topic: Otter Flip Question for guys that have em.  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Otter Flip Question for guys that have em.
« on: Nov 28, 2020, 01:49 PM »
I'm just about done setting up the Otter X Over.  Today after I installed those plastic clips that fasten the fabric to the tub it was binding a bit in the front corners of the sled when I tried to flip it up.  It was a stretch extending the frame poles to get them locked into place.  I probably took too much fabric when sliding the clips on at the back and sides of the house but if I pull the clips off on that front side (its just a lightweight skirting material anyway) it frees up and works fine.   Did any of you Otter Flip guys have the same issue and decide to do similar?  I can't really think of any reason it would be a problem.

Looking forward to ice.  Smitty skis are patched and waxed.  Jig boxes are cleaned out and reasonably organized.  1000 spikes arrived last week and are in the fridge.  Flame King Bottles are full.  Flasher and Tundra Batteries are charged up.  I'm ready!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Otter Flip Question for guys that have em.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2020, 02:26 PM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2020, 02:40 PM »
I'm just about done setting up the Otter X Over.  Today after I installed those plastic clips that fasten the fabric to the tub it was binding a bit in the front corners of the sled when I tried to flip it up.  It was a stretch extending the frame poles to get them locked into place.  I probably took too much fabric when sliding the clips on at the back and sides of the house but if I pull the clips off on that front side (its just a lightweight skirting material anyway) it frees up and works fine.   Did any of you Otter Flip guys have the same issue and decide to do similar?  I can't really think of any reason it would be a problem.

Looking forward to ice.  Smitty skis are patched and waxed.  Jig boxes are cleaned out and reasonably organized.  1000 spikes arrived last week and are in the fridge.  Flame King Bottles are full.  Flasher and Tundra Batteries are charged up.  I'm ready!

I didn't have that issue with my Lodge pro xt, but I did leave the material a little bit of play when I pinned it to the tub knowing that the spreader bars would be able to take up the slack. I also notice that if the tent doesn't have enough slack the front bar wont lay on the ice without the spreaders, it will just float a couple inches up off the ice.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2020, 04:55 PM »
Thx Guys

800 do you recall if you were passing thru 2 layers of fabric or 1 when you ran the self tappers thru the plastic clips?  Its not really apparent on the instructions or in the videos.  Thanks for your help.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2020, 09:43 AM »
Thx Guys

800 do you recall if you were passing thru 2 layers of fabric or 1 when you ran the self tappers thru the plastic clips?  Its not really apparent on the instructions or in the videos.  Thanks for your help.

I just looked and all layers of the tent are under the pinch clips on mine... Also there is only a 1/4" of tent material hanging out of the back side of the clip at max, many spots there is no tent material sticking out of the clips. If you have a lot extra tent sticking out of the back side of the clip you may be too tight.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2020, 09:45 AM »

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2020, 09:49 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: Thanks 800.  Tight lines this year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.