Author Topic: Wheelhouse skis  (Read 2547 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wheelhouse skis
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:03 PM »
My fears are coming to fruition, I wait all year to put my shack out and fish opening weekend of by trout, and now a big storm is moving through, and with the snow already on the ice, and another 8+ inches due, it am now in a spot where I am not sure how I will get it out.

My shack is a 12*8 on a tilt trailer, it weighs 2k or so. I pull it with a can am 450l atv, and have tire chains. My buddy has a sled as well.

I want to build some skis for the tires, I have a couple 2x8s, and have thought to make 2 40 inch skids, but am not sure if my basic design will hold.

2x8x40 vertically on the inner and outer edge, taper starting at 30 inches up to creat lift. a 2x8 across to stop the wheels from going forward somewhere the middle, 1/2 plywood on bottom with some sort of plastic to allow it to slide. Thoughts?

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wheelhouse skis
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:12 PM »
I think you’re on the right track. Add a couple eye bolts to strap the tires in for sure. Only question id have is if building out of a 2x10 or 2x12 would be beneficial? I would also do both a front and back tire clamp. Keep them closer together so the weight is not on the plywood but held up in the frame. Also keeps your axle from dragging more snow.

Fished with Red Lake Remote this year and he runs track machines and tows a snowmobile trailer with something just like this. His were made of aluminum so he either bought them or made them just the same. Dimensions were similar to what you stated.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Sorry not visualizing the tire clamp... my concept since it’s a short distance (500yds+-) was really a drive on no lock system. The trailer has small tires (the wide 215-60-8 size) so I don’t think they would pop out of a 8 inch deep groove. But not really sure what you are describing.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:29 PM »
I'm going to get me a couple of used snow boards and build some skis out them. I think that they should be stout enough.???. Some day I'm going to build a set out of aluminum and UHMW. That's a next years project....    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:00 PM »
Sorry not visualizing the tire clamp... my concept since it’s a short distance (500yds+-) was really a drive on no lock system. The trailer has small tires (the wide 215-60-8 size) so I don’t think they would pop out of a 8 inch deep groove. But not really sure what you are describing.

I think i may have been thinking too deeply on that one. Was just thinking to make it like a box inside of your ski instead if only one direction to hold it. This way you could make the box short enough that the tire would sit up higher and sit on top of the front and back stoppers. Could gain you some clearance? Just spitballing.

But for a temporary service what you mentioned should work just fine. Add straps and you’ll be golden.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:07 AM »
I would think the tires would actually pull better than skis even in deeper snow. might take a little to get it moving but once you do I think there would be no problem. I usually pull mine with a truck but the tires roll the shack real nice. ( mine is also 8x12ish and on the heavy side)

Skis would just add extra drag? What do I know lol

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:51 AM »
My theory is that with skis I can kinda float across the snot as opposed to plow the snow. But I may be wrong on that theory. my alternative idea is to borrow a snowblower and snowblow a 100 inch wide path out the 1800 or so feet it is from shore to where the shack is going.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Better late than never.  Your theory is in practice.  Works great!

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2020, 01:47 PM »
I made some skis basically how you said you were thinking a few years ago. Made mine with 2x8's as the runners. 48" long overall the front 1/3rd of it is curved then strait until the last 6" and then kicks up a 1/2". I put the axle center line at two thirds the overall length. I dato'ed in a 1/2" piece of ply for the tire to sit in, then covered the whole bottom with 3mm baltic birch plywood, and then put on 1/4" HDPE. It works awesome to say the least. No problem pulling my 8x16 wheel house (5000lbs)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.