Author Topic: So you have built a shack...what is on your "must-have" list?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Jackand7

• IceShanty Rookie
I am just finishing my first build and it has gone exceptionally well so far. Just at the wiring stage with paneling and interior bench/beds, etc. to come next...

What are your best ideas...or "must-haves" for inside your camper conversion or shack? I am talking about the little things like a paper towel holder, circulation fans, magnetic tool bars on the wall, rod racks, etc. What are the extra little luxuries or comforts that you have added or seen added to a shack to really make it stand out? Pics would be appreciated as well...

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: So you have built a shack...what is on your "must-have" list?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Hey Jackand7 congrats on building a shack first off.
I used cable tray on both sides at the top of the wall to hold anything and everything. Also put a piece behind the stove for drying things like gloves and boots.
Rod holders were a must, along with phone and beer holder.
Just a couple things i did .

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Wire shelving and a few dollar store wire baskets to keep stuff in check.

Offline Jackand7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Hey Jackand7 congrats on building a shack first off.
I used cable tray on both sides at the top of the wall to hold anything and everything. Also put a piece behind the stove for drying things like gloves and boots.
Rod holders were a must, along with phone and beer holder.
Just a couple things i did .

Cable tray! Nice...I like that one.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2019, 04:49 PM »
Build it light!...I see shacks for sale on Craigslist that looks like you need a Mack Truck to move the shanty. Just wondering if that's why their sell it. I do like a floor in the shack.  Also, think about how many family members or friends you plan on fishing with and build accordingly. Have fun building and Good Luck!

Offline cwangell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:16 AM »
since you're still at your wiring phase, wire an outside light with an outside switch.
my shack runs 12V, I have a cheap automotive fog lamp outside with a simple toggle switch beside the door.

Offline McFishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:33 AM »
For the outside, I added these motion lights that are battery powered. I got them for less than this link says so could maybe find cheaper (around $45 for a 3-pack). Upside: don't need an outside switch so when you approach your shack or head out for a tip up, they flip on immediately, easy to mount, quite bright. Downside: no settings on these for how long they stay on, but they are great at noticing motion so if they turn off, they will turn on again quick. If you want to wire more, definitely great to wire motion lights on too. I just really enjoy walking up early/late to the shack and being able to see right away and also having lights on when packing up and leaving at night knowing they will shut off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP6I6QU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

My newest addition that I just purchased and will be adding/trying this weekend are the glow catch cover hole sleeves. Hoping that when it is dark, it will add better light in the holes without the need to have a ton of lights on. If anyone has experience/reviews on these, i am interested to hear what you think!

https://catchcover.com/9-moon-glow-hole-sleeve/

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:48 PM »
For the outside, I added these motion lights that are battery powered. I got them for less than this link says so could maybe find cheaper (around $45 for a 3-pack). Upside: don't need an outside switch so when you approach your shack or head out for a tip up, they flip on immediately, easy to mount, quite bright. Downside: no settings on these for how long they stay on, but they are great at noticing motion so if they turn off, they will turn on again quick. If you want to wire more, definitely great to wire motion lights on too. I just really enjoy walking up early/late to the shack and being able to see right away and also having lights on when packing up and leaving at night knowing they will shut off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP6I6QU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

My newest addition that I just purchased and will be adding/trying this weekend are the glow catch cover hole sleeves. Hoping that when it is dark, it will add better light in the holes without the need to have a ton of lights on. If anyone has experience/reviews on these, i am interested to hear what you think!

https://catchcover.com/9-moon-glow-hole-sleeve/

Those lights look nice, how do the batteries hold up to the cold? Do you replace them often?

Offline McFishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Well I just added them this year, but so far so good. Got the house out in northern MN about a month ago and they were still shining bright this weekend. I also have the cheap, off brand batteries in them. Wish I had more time tested info for you, but overall, I'm pleased with the lights!

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Hey Jackand 7 another thing i added this year is a aqua-vu fish cam , I have it wired to a 24 " tv , just makes the time in the hut so much more entertaining.
And if you have kids it will keep them interested a lot longer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.