Author Topic: Flipover mice damage, repair  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Flipover mice damage, repair
« on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:20 AM »
I have holes in my clam flipover from not putting dryer sheets in it when it went into storage. I just left the canvas shop, and they want $100.00 to fix it. I know there are replacement tents but the holes aren't that big, and I was wondering what others have used to fix holes in their flip overs. thanks in advance.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Flipover mice damage, repair
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:28 PM »
some companies give patches. i think it was eskimo. you can use gorilla clear tape on both sides. it is pliable and strong. best tape there is. you can try iron patches. use fabric between patch and iron and use lowest setting you can. i think some glued patches on theirs.

Offline laker24taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I just had the same thing but I ordered clam patch kits of their website it was like 6.99 for 4 8x8 patches
(img)http://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg(img)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Colored duck tape

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:44 PM »
There is a product out there called Tear mender, you use it with patch material. Stuff works great and is flexible and the patches will never come off
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I've got nothing to lose trying to fix my clam, This tear mender stuff looks like it might work. I'll get some patch material from clam, cut it up to match what's left from the mice, and take some pics of the before and after. Thanks

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Clam wants $6.99 for their patch kit and $11.99 for shipping. Outfitter north of me has them on the shelf for $6.99 looks like I'll make a road trip. Bought this replacement tent last year and Clam only charged me $10.00 for shipping. funny place

Offline tyme2par4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I've had good luck repairing tents with good ole duck tape. Put it on and use a mallet to really hammer it on. Should last at least a few years and will be waterproof.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2018, 09:00 AM »
If you use duck tape, gorilla tape, flex seal tape or anything like it.  Go over it with a heat gun or hair dryer.  When it good and warm press it on good.  Really helps it stick.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I bought the clam repair kit and some gorilla super glue, and will do the repairs in the basement, thanks for all the advice.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2018, 07:56 PM »
This spring when you put it away, toss in some dryer sheets.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I had moth balls AND dryer sheets in my clam scout... mice still got me.  The worst part was cleaning the urine smell.  I took it apart and brought the tent to the laundromat.  Took 3 washings to get rid of the urine smell from the large nest they had going on in there!  As far as the chew holes, I just sewed them together by hand.  The bunched up fabric left behind wasn't too noticeable.

Jason

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:33 AM »
the holes they put in mine were as big as golf balls, some bigger. I stated in another post that I used gorilla glue, I was wrong, I used locktite/fabric adhesive. Worked slick. The patch kit is no where near the same color as the fabric on the clam. The smell is terrible I washed it by hand, with dish soap, and it didn't even seem like I did anything. May have to take mine to the laundramat. Or the car wash.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Hey Uncle Al,  I left the small holes, about d8ne sized or less, alone.  Only seed up the big ones.  I like your patch job, it gives it character!

As for the smell...

My dad left it out, (he found the damage) set up in the garage for a couple weeks before I even got back home to deal with it
Initially, I used car wash soap outside with a stiff bristle brush, then left it set up in the sun on a 40 degree day.  Didn't work.

A whole bottle of Lysol,  didn't work.

I then used Tide powder detergent in the largest machine at the laundromat, (3 times)  MOSTLY worked.  I could still smell a hint of the nest while sitting in it with a heater running after all that.  I dont know how much urine is stuck to yours, but for me, it was really bad.

Ultimately, my advice would be to save the headache of repeated hand washings, take the tent off, and spend a day at the laundry.  It will give a good test to that loctite adhesive too!

Good luck,

Jason

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Thanks latremorej for the nice comments about my patch job, I think it looks like crap, but it's done. As for the smell I hate the smell if mice piss. I have always used dryer sheets in everything I store for a long time  this year I forgot, so I'll pay. May sit on a bucket this year.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Thanks latremorej for the nice comments about my patch job, I think it looks like crap, but it's done. As for the smell I hate the smell if mice piss. I have always used dryer sheets in everything I store for a long time  this year I forgot, so I'll pay. May sit on a bucket this year.

Could try some foaming carpet cleaner or borax ..spray vinegar ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:44 PM »
I repaired several holes in my Frabill. One was 13" X 13". :o I used a yard of 1000 denier fabric I ordered fromn Amazon and 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I watched a YouTube video that showed how to do it and it turned out way better than I would have ever thought possible. Basically, you cut the damaged area slightly larger than the damage and then spray adhesive on the shanty and the patch that is a couple inches bigger than the part you cut out, let the adhesive sit for a few minutes to get good and sticky and then just slap it on there. 24 hours later, I couldn't pull the patch off if I tried.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2018, 01:07 AM »
Good idea on the spray adhesive!  I actually ordered a few yards off 1000d cord era nylon off Ebay a bunch of years back to repair my hub shelter... an ice auger got mixed into the shelter while drilling holes.  I took it apart and ran it through the sewing machine. 

I never thought to do the vinegar trick!  I use that one for cigar fumes in the truck! 

Great idea!  Set it up with a small heater, pour a couple cups into a bowl, leave overnight. When you removed the bowl in the morning, the stank should go with it.  May take a couple tries, but I bet it would work.

Jason

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:21 AM »
I've got the shack in the basement for the repairs, the smell isn't bad until you get right next to it, or sit in it, I sprayed it with vinegar yesterday inside and out, and folded it up so the vinegar wouldn't run off of the patches, haven't been down there yet today. We're supposed to get a full day of rain today, I'm going to take it outside and set it up, and let the rain rinse it off, and see how bad it smells.

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Give your wife money to go clothes shopping.  Hop on you computer and order a new hut - she'll never fight it.  That's what I did.  Easy.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:15 PM »
After spraying last night quite a bit of the smell was gone so I left it in the basement, sprayed it again and will let it sit over nite again.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:48 AM »
The smell is gone, I sat in it today and could only smell vinegar, that's a lot nicer than mouse piss. I'll take it outside and set it up and open the doors and windows and let the wind blow through it and see how it smells tonight.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Sounds like you're making progress! Hope it continues to improve for you!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:54 AM »
thanks tbern, you're not the only one that hope's it continues, The old lady ask's daily, "when is this thing going to be out of here." I'll take it outside and she won't even know it's gone.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Hang a towel soaked in vinegar from the shelter pole as you air dry it out side today ....as a last resort use baking soda ..this is a task though as you would have to flip/move around the shelter on its sides to coat it ..glad things are looking up for you.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:06 AM »
My daughter cleans houses and gave me the tip on using vinegar, she's got tips for lots of smells, stains, uses windex for things I've never heard of using it for

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2019, 10:08 AM »
My daughter cleans houses and gave me the tip on using vinegar, she's got tips for lots of smells, stains, uses windex for things I've never heard of using it for

Very cool post the applicable ones for IceShanty solutions under a new thread  :thumbsup:

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:22 PM »
I have used iron on knee patches.     from walmarts or any sewing store

to patch fishtrap holes

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:17 AM »
Glad to hear about the progress!  Not too many smells linger like mouse piss!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.