Author Topic: Pike spearing out of a portable shnaty  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Mule Skinner

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike spearing out of a portable shnaty
« on: Mar 02, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Anyone here do any darkhouse pike spearing out of a portable ice shanty ?  What type of set-up do you use or what brand do you have and how/why do you like it ?

I like to stay mobil and hit many different lakes and pike waters during the Winter ice fishing season. I am currently using a Cabela's portable that is a kit where you had to provide the wood and hardware for the floor.I strap it on top of a jet sled and off I go. This has been good to me for the last few years, but it is slightly bulky and cumbersome and  its tough to set up on a windy day. Also, the drilled holes in the wood 2x2's at the 4 corners has split due to windy conditions and has made matters worse when setting up ,so I'm ready to up-grade to something better for the 2007 ice fisning/spearing season.

Any one have any ideas on what to go with ? I need an open floor space (not some pre-fab floor with 2 small holes cut in it where you line your auger cut holes with) I cut a 24in. wide X 48 in. lone hole in the ice, so I need the open floor space.

I looked at the Shappell Rover 2.0 and really like the padded bench seats and it seems roomy for when I bring my boys with me.     It also has the open floor space, which I need. and is a flip over, or flip top. 

Also wondering about the Frabill Ranger XLT ? If anyone has this one, would it work for spearing ?

All comments are welcome,

Thanks Mule
I love the  smell of fresh Pike Slime in the morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.