Author Topic: Blackstrap 2023-2024  (Read 19361 times)

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blackstrap 2023-2024
« Reply #60 on: Dec 20, 2023, 06:49 PM »
Was there any snow on Shannon when u were there , there wasn't any when I was there on the tenth . Had lots of success that day .

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 21, 2023, 07:26 AM »
Was there any snow on Shannon when u were there , there wasn't any when I was there on the tenth . Had lots of success that day .

There were patches but lots of bare ice as well. I'm glad to hear you did well, I didn't catch but we did well there in the summer.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 21, 2023, 05:33 PM »
I seen what u we're talking about it was another great day with 10 and 2 iced and released here's one of the 2

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2023, 09:30 AM »
There are multiple trucks driving on the North end this morning. 

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2023, 10:42 PM »
Found lots of jumbo perch at Coteau Bay at 15 feet of water

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 23, 2023, 07:38 PM »
Found some like this this afternoon

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 26, 2023, 12:58 AM »
Some chubby perch fellas. Mind saying what depth you are finding them? I'm wondering if the warm weather has em somewhere else then I'm used to.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 26, 2023, 06:29 AM »
All the perch and walleye I have caught in the last 4 outings have been in 10 to 17 " depth .

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #68 on: Dec 28, 2023, 10:28 PM »
Nice fish photos guys. :)

Even if the ice fishing a bit slow, you can't beat this weather, an Xmas gift for sure. ;)

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2024, 04:09 PM »
Hi All,
I have a few questions about Blackstrap Reservoir.

Where do most of you ice or open water fish at Blackstrap?
Not looking for your exact spots, lol, just North part of the reservoir from the causeway or the South part of the reservoir. ???

Are all the fish species distrubuted equally throughout the lake or is the causeway a dividing line for some? :-\
Is the highway cam looking at the N or S end of the reservoir?  :unsure:

I was looking at the google map of Blackstrap + the highway cam, and had those questions. ;D

WW

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2024, 07:07 PM »
How many inches of ice is there currently?  Thanks.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 02, 2024, 08:26 PM »
I drilled and drove across the north end today. The ice consistently measured 15 inches out to the 20 plus foot of water depth. I see folks are being pretty cautious with many still walking on. I understand that given how warm it has been, but this ice is good and once we have a few days in the minus teens for highs I would feel confident to drive wherever in search of the perch.

As for Water Wolf's question, there are a bunch of favourite spots that attract all over the lake. The sunken road, mouths of the bays, and the flats in front of the developments are pretty popular. However, not all produce consistently. The Blackstrap Perch Mafia has had fabulous hot spots in some years that simply don't do well the next. I had a perch hole a few years ago that yielded jumbos consistently, but for one winter only. Nobody else really used the spot as there were other good areas that year. They just haven't been back since. This year is proving to be yet another puzzle to be solved. We also had a spot that produced walleye by the dozen, but only before Christmas.

I guess that wonder and mystery is what keeps us coming back.

Offline Dlzfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2024, 11:47 AM »
The perch have been weird the last couple years. Im guessing its a cycle. What has me surprised is the difficulty in finding walleye since ice up, granted i havent tried too hard yet... But seemed over this summer i could do no wrong. Any method, any time/day, and anywhere i tried i couldnt keep them off the hook.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 04, 2024, 10:39 AM »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one puzzled this year haha. My usual spots are bone dry this year so I think I'll head out tomorrow on a scouting mission.

Folks are driving on now? Scouting is a whole lot easier when you aren't walking.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 05, 2024, 09:02 AM »
Fingers crossed this snow helps the bite tomorrow. I've had issues even marking fish in anything less then 15ft.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:02 PM »
I know people are driving all around the North end.  I haven't been out for a couple weeks and was going to go check the South end tomorrow, I am assuming people are driving on there.  Can anyone confirm this?

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 06, 2024, 09:56 PM »
I went on Friday and saw a few full trucks on the ice. Be careful guys, but it should be ok?

I think I'll go out tomorrow too.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 07, 2024, 06:28 PM »
With the ice finally thick enough to go exploring safely, I joined the other folks on the south end today. The bite appeared to be pretty good by the launches judging from the number of shacks and pop ups, but I just had to go try that spot I mentioned a few posts ago. Damned if I didn't raise aggressive marks right off the hop. I drilled two holes but only fished one for two hours of steady action. The perch have clearly decided that this part of the lake is where they want to be again. One chunky keeper had bloodworms spilling out of its yap. Perhaps there is a great crop of those at this spot now?

All I know is that there will be a delicious batch of perch for supper in the new future.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 07, 2024, 06:47 PM »
Although I had the pleasure of fishing with S.S. for a hour this afternoon, my partner and I did most of our damage in the morning in a different area.  The saying.........."Go South" paid off today.  Seems to be nothing on the North side.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 08, 2024, 04:50 AM »
Nice catch there cr glad to see u got on the perch .

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 10, 2024, 09:37 AM »
Same report here. Steady perch bite, but nothing huge. average size seemed to be 7-9", with one 10.5. Lots of pike coming through to break up the party. Caught a chubby 33" big mama.

Super sad to see this snow come in and ruin my perfect drive on access. I'm assuming there will be big drifts out today and the boat launch will be a mess.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 10, 2024, 11:47 AM »
Ah yes, but since it looks like they want to make sure everyone has or buys a park pass, we can stop at the office building and complain if they don't open up the boat launches..........lol.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 16, 2024, 06:11 PM »
I stopped in today on my way to Regina, to get my park pass at the office today.  Talked to the girl and asked, so this means they will be keeping the launches plowed.  She said just the North one.  I went and checked and both launches are really good for getting on the lake. 

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:56 PM »
And now you can enter any Provincial Park...That was easy!

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:13 AM »
I stopped in today on my way to Regina, to get my park pass at the office today.  Talked to the girl and asked, so this means they will be keeping the launches plowed.  She said just the North one.  I went and checked and both launches are really good for getting on the lake.

I guess that is something. Itsure would be nice if they did both. I guess I always took the other launch when the north was rutted up and iced up, but maybe they will keep that under control so I won't need to. There were a few times last year where I made it halfway up the ramp and slid back down it in reverse, picked up speed. Didn't like that much.

Anyone see how getting around on the lake was? Are the drifts nasty?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2024, 07:16 PM »
Slow day today.  Started out by the boat launch, nothing going on.  So I explored the rest of the day.  Went South of Evans Road down the West shoreline, tired 7 different spots.  Then tried Evans Road on the way back.  Went North of the boat launches on the West side, tried 4 different spots all the way down to Thode, nothing.  Then went to the East side and worked my way back to the boat launches, again nothing.  Only caught 10 all day moving around.  Talked to a few that stayed put in one spot, and some caught 0, some had only 4 bites all day, some had 5 to 10 fish.  So looked like a slow day all around for everyone.  Going to give them H tomorrow again. 

Both boat launches are really good for getting on and off.  Some big drifts, but they are still soft and easy to drive through in 4 wheel drive.   Lot's of clear ice in spots still also. 

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 23, 2024, 05:44 PM »
Fished yesterday close to the launches, very slow compared to before the cold snap.  Left at 11 to explore.  Low and behold the first spot I tried there they were.  Pretty much steady action until 3, then slowed down.  Fished that same spot today and the morning was very slow and then picked up around 11 to 3, with steady action.  Was able to keep a limit of 10 inchers.  Nice to throw back lot's that otherwise would of been kept by others.  Seems to be lot's around as the flashers and camera are showing, but getting them to bite is another story.  The last 4 times out, I found them are full of blood worms.  I have my R&D working on a imitation blood worm. Partner today was using meal worms and I was keeping up to him with the eye ball. 

Noticed 3 guys stuck today, but they were able to get out easy with just a little shovelling.  Just keep your speed up, and you should be ok.  North launch is really good.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 25, 2024, 09:28 AM »
While fishing yesterday, got a chance to talk to the C.O. as he was checking people.  I asked him what is going on with them wanting us to get park passes.  He smiled and said that was something for the parks to look after (and enforce), and that they weren't going to be checking people for passes. 

Yesterday the bite was good from 9:30 to about 1.  Then very slow from 1 to 3.  Then they turned on again for about a hour at 3.  Left shortly after 4, so not sure how the bite was until dark. 

And the drifts are getting a little harder now.  Yesterday with the fog and being cloudy was hard to see them, hard to follow old trails.  Still a far amount of clear ice and spots with hardly any snow, so you can pick your way around the big drifts when you can see them.

Has anyone noticed the it seems the water is higher this winter?  I have noticed 25 and 26 feet of water from the top of the ice in spots we have fished.  Can't remember it being that deep..........or it might be dementia setting in

Offline danhanline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 25, 2024, 12:31 PM »
New to Saskatoon and looking for some info on Blackstrap. Places to access ice, pass needed? North end or south to start exploring. Looking for any help people can give.

Thanks!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 26, 2024, 07:34 AM »
Welcome D-Han. If you want to fish south of the causeway that runs though the middle of the lake, your only real option for drive - on fishing is the Provincial Park boat launch. You will need a park pass, especially if you leave your vehicle on shore and walk out. I was told by a worker in the park office that COs wouldn't likely check for passes on the lake itself, and this was the case a couple days ago for our group.

The north part of the lake is best accessed by a trail that leads south from the North Haul road. There is a gravel pit on your right just before the entrance as you come from Saskatoon.

As for where to fish? There are plenty of shacks and tents to provide clues as to where to start. The most successful fisher folk are the ones who stay mobile and drill plenty of holes. Right now, the bite is slower. Two days ago, the perch were very discriminating, and not willing to chase the lure very hard. We had numerous pike on camera that did a lot of looking, but not much hooking. As for the walleye, some believe they are vacationing in Mexico right now.

Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.