Author Topic: Crawford Crappie  (Read 2771 times)

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
Crawford Crappie
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Three of us from around Delta fished Crawford Reservoir today, caught about 80, released the 20 smallest.  This was my mess around 2, had a few after that. (limit is 20 per person)  Wolfram tungsten jigs were the ticket, that was the only jig of a dozen tried that worked, but it worked WELL!  Keepers ranged from 8" to 11". 

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crawford Crappie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Very nice catch!! This is the first I've heard about Crawford this year. Catch any perch?
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Good work there Jerry. Any laker action out your way?

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Very nice catch!! This is the first I've heard about Crawford this year. Catch any perch?

Lots of perch in different places, and they are 2" bigger than last several years.  We got a bunch by the dam last time there a few weeks ago.  Next few years Crawford will be the destination panfish lake for the western slope, the cycle is here, woot woot!!

Todd,

The good areas are just now frozen, been a dink show till now.  We're hitting Blue Mesa at Cebolla/Red Creek with the 4-wheelers this Saturday, why donchya come on over and meet us there?  I'll drag your sled/hut with my Yamaha. I still owe you one ya know.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:29 PM »
Nice catch! I haven't fished Crawford in five years.Just a long day trip.Glad to hear they are getting bigger.Were there many people fishing?

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Nice catch! I haven't fished Crawford in five years.Just a long day trip.Glad to hear they are getting bigger.Were there many people fishing?

Good eating panfish attract more people than trout fishing, IMO.  There have been 20 to 40 vehicles at the lake about every weekend.  Go during the week however and you'll almost have the place to yourself.  You have to start moving around to different places now as the fish are starting to get more educated, especially the larger ones.

Offline justatrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2010, 03:08 PM »
spark up the grill great eating

Offline HansBaxter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Three of us from around Delta fished Crawford Reservoir today, caught about 80, released the 20 smallest.  This was my mess around 2, had a few after that. (limit is 20 per person)  Wolfram tungsten jigs were the ticket, that was the only jig of a dozen tried that worked, but it worked WELL!  Keepers ranged from 8" to 11". 
(Image removed from quote.)

What are Wolfram tungsten jigs?  Color, size, where can I get them, etc.?  I grew up in Delta, fished Crawford a few times in the early 70's, then couple times past few winters.  I'm retired now, living in Montrose and there's a bunch of us guys who plan to take some kids up there in 2 weeks.  Any tips would be appreciated.  A buddy and i fished Crawford last Friday (my 2nd time out this winter) and picked up a few small trout there at the main park entrance.  Just want these kids to have some fun.  Would love to find the perch, but I'm clueless about where those lil' guys hang out and what to use.  Thanks in advance for any advice from an old Delta native.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:25 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

What are Wolfram tungsten jigs?  Color, size, where can I get them, etc.?  I grew up in Delta, fished Crawford a few times in the early 70's, then couple times past few winters.  I'm retired now, living in Montrose and there's a bunch of us guys who plan to take some kids up there in 2 weeks.  Any tips would be appreciated.  A buddy and i fished Crawford last Friday (my 2nd time out this winter) and picked up a few small trout there at the main park entrance.  Just want these kids to have some fun.  Would love to find the perch, but I'm clueless about where those lil' guys hang out and what to use.  Thanks in advance for any advice from an old Delta native.

Sportsman's Warehouse has a few but the wrong color.  Glow red is the color, you may be able to get a 1/32 or 1/16 red Diamond jig or Gill Pill from Sports Authority in Montrose.  Maybe can get some from yourbobbersdown.com in time if a few weeks away. (4mm) We fish the dam area starting in 30 feet of water, spread out until someone starts catching, then follow the schools by drilling lots of holes.  Barely jig now, they're finicky.  Use 2# leader below a small swivel.  Tip the jig with a wax worm (Petco) or two maggots or a tiny piece of perch belly meat.  They've been from 3' down to 12' down, always suspended whereas the perch are usually on the bottom to 10' up. Use a Genz worm in green or a green Northland Blood worm for the perch.  Maggots or raw shrimp for bait. Should catch some trout on either tactic as well. Good luck.

Offline Icatchfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:31 PM »
anybody been fishing crawford lately??

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Nice work on the crappie's!

Thanks, we hit it about every other weekend and it is still holding up well for perch on the west side of the lake in 15 to 30' and crappie suspended 5 to 10' on the mid south end of the lake on the same jigs as before.  Fish slow.  We each caught around 40 a week ago Saturday.  By far the best crappie bite is from 3 to 5 in the afternoon and early mornings.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2010, 02:36 PM »
nice lil mess you got there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.