The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How Thick is Thick Enough  (Read 2282 times)

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
How Thick is Thick Enough
« on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:16 AM »
Hello,

Thought it might be interesting to hear how thick the ice needs to be for you to go out on it.

If the ice is good black ice I would head out on 3 inches, but I like to wait for 4 if I am bringing the kids.   I know they weigh a lot less but not all of our decisions are logical.   

Bomoseen is getting close, although the forecast isn't going to help much.

Mike

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
Re: How Thick is Thick Enough
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I used to go out first ice 2 inches or sometimes less. Not any more. Been through 3 times with more than that. Once it was 2 ft but I found a spring. All I do now is jig a little so I usually wait until it has been tested.
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Like you ill go on 3 black nothing less than 4/5 if snow pack ice.all of it depends on how cold also.

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2019, 12:45 PM »
This is the way I learned it.

4” can hold a person weighing 200lbs and their gear.

6” can hold a person weighing 200lbs & a snowmachine or 4 wheeler

12” can hold a small pickup truck.

That is assuming it’s all solid clear ice. As the season goes on and it turns mealy I tend to use a lot more cation.
Also know where you are fishing as conditions can vary for very deep water, as well as if there are any tributaries. Take a moment and study the map before venturing out.

Offline nanau_beznez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Anybody been out on ice yet in southern half of the state?

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:44 PM »
I wait for 4"

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2019, 10:01 PM »
I’ll do 3” of black for myself but won’t start inviting non regulars until there’s 5+.

My favorite is bringing a nervous newb out onto 16” and handing them a hand auger and having them drill a few holes... helps them get over their jitters fast.  ;)

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2019, 07:13 AM »
I like being out on the ice and people will walk all the way out to where you are and ask "how thick is the ice"?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline OldChumBucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2019, 09:31 AM »
I like being out on the ice and people will walk all the way out to where you are and ask "how thick is the ice"?

“Two inches” lol  ;)

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2019, 11:17 AM »
4-6" depending upon the body of water...

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2019, 12:00 PM »

Oh man, here's what made me crazy the other day:
I was out on ice that I was barely comfortable with.  I carefully made my way out onto the ice, checking with the spud and drilling test holes, wearing the float suit and and the ice picks.  Then I hear a (NON-fishing) man an woman with a kid arguing on shore.  The guy is saying that the ice probably isn't safe yet.  The woman and the kid are stepping onto the ice "it must be safe, with those fishermen out there!" and the guy is like "you can't assume its safe" as the woman scoffs and heads out onto the ice with the kid.

Civilians on early ice-- YIKES!

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Oh man, here's what made me crazy the other day:
I was out on ice that I was barely comfortable with.  I carefully made my way out onto the ice, checking with the spud and drilling test holes, wearing the float suit and and the ice picks.  Then I hear a (NON-fishing) man an woman with a kid arguing on shore.  The guy is saying that the ice probably isn't safe yet.  The woman and the kid are stepping onto the ice "it must be safe, with those fishermen out there!" and the guy is like "you can't assume its safe" as the woman scoffs and heads out onto the ice with the kid.

Civilians on early ice-- YIKES!

Reminds me of a time when visiting a lake in late winter when I was in my early teens. There were several fishermen out in the middle and I wanted to go out and see if they had caught anything. The ice was plenty thick and all candle like. You could pick chunks up, toss them and they would shatter....I thought that was really neat! My older friend didn't let me go out.

I'll set bait traps on shallow ponds with 4" of new ice, but prefer 5 to 6" of newer ice...usually the first inch of that is white ice around where I fish. I usually fish alone so I don't chance it. Just looking at clear 4" of ice freaks me out..it looks a lot thinner through the hole.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Fishing last week and gent comes out in cross country skis. He asks how think is the ice. "He said it must be safe
everywhere by now." There are two groups on the pond. I commented its 4-6 inches as far out as I went.
I continued the narrows will not be safe and cannot attest to the middle of the pond. He gives me a weird look like I'm stupid.
It is mind blowing how ignorant people can be.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:15 PM »
3 of black ice is good for me.

In my younger years I remember fishing on 2 and bouncing near the holes to see water come up.

Yeah, not the smartest move but I was stupid in my 20's  ;)

I fished on 3.5 with an inch and a half of water on top last week. No issues.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2020, 03:23 PM »
My brother said a couple of guys in Central MA just needed to ice fish. They rowed a small boat out to the ice edge.   
The ice had broken up along shore. The Darwin candidates proceeded to go for a swim.

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2020, 03:04 PM »
It's not how thick the ice is that matters as much as the quality of it.  I learned from my grandfather when I was a kid; if you really want to go out on questionable ice just carry a good chisel with you everywhere you go.  If it goes through with on really hard wack turn around and go back.  If it doesn't, your good to go.  Keep wacking every step along the way until you have completely surveyed the whole area you intend to fish for the day.  This has never failed me in 40 years. 

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:53 AM »
6 + inches for me, I have been through twice once clear to my shoulders, and the 2nd time was with my ol man it was only to our waste but we were in about knee deep mud and that took a few to break the seal around my boots and once i was free I grabbed my father by his coat pulled his out and didn't stop dragging him across the ice until we were back to shore and there was 2' of ice but apparently we found a soft spot. Either way be cautious and safe. Tight lines.

Offline MassBass85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:02 PM »
If I know the lake well, 3 inches is my comfort zone if it's nice black ice. As the season goes on and it's majority white ice I like 5 inches. Sketchiest I've ever been on was late season 5" but it was like a 50 degree day and rapidly deteriorating, I'd sad I wouldn't do it again but that was my most productive day all season. But I'm a relatively light guy, don't carry a ton of gear or ATV/Sled and I spud my way out. If you're careful you can get away with a lot but you need to do your due diligence. I've been on ponds where I was standing on a foot of ice and 500 yards away was open water because about 30 swans decided they wanted to spend the winter there. Throw in springs, streams, rocks and you really should know a place before feeling comfortable on it no matter how much ice there is when you first get on it.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2020, 08:31 AM »
I rarely see guys with a spud but more an more electronics, etc. Spud bar has saved my
bacon multiple times. I'll go out on 3 inches of black ice w/my spud.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.