The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2015 year of the Giant  (Read 1559 times)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
2015 year of the Giant
« on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:06 PM »
BOOM!!
88" 410 pounds live
330lbs dressed sold at auction in Japan sweet!!

Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
Re: 2015 year of the Giant
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Honestly I thought it was going to be another big skunk for my second tuna season on dreamcatcher.
Then came September!
I'll start with my fiancé left me in August, so sad, I thought what do I do now, then came my first single Saturday in Rockport MA. Wait a minute no sweetie to run home to, I might as well stay another day! That night Rockport put on a show of fireworks that puts any I've seen to shame. I admit I was a little stuck in my sorrows, but looking back that show was the start of something great.
If there's one thing I know, its that I fish for giant bluefin tuna!  I was now free, free to fish when I want whenever I wanted. For the rest of the season most every decent day on the ocean I was there. I had multiple 3 day trips staying over night at sea has become a regular thing. The 3 hour drive is just a small inconvenience
I started marking fish, tuna fish. I started meeting fisherman, Tuna fisherman. I have seen the calmest days you can imagine and I saw one day on a fifty mile run to the cape I didn't think I was gonna live through.
Then it happened I heard there was a good bite off the cape, I had to repair my hydraulic steering so I was late getting on the water, I decide to take a round about way to the cape stopping by my usual haunts and there they were. All the big shots sitting right on my spot. The place I had seen and marked tuna all summer. .com was right on my numbers, hard merch was hooked up. I set up a drift and immediately started marking fish. For whatever reason .com picked up his anchor and left. I eased into position and dropped anchor. 2 lines out, 1 hour in bzzzzzzz I'm on, I'm on!!That fish taught me about big fish what sea monsters are really like. Just me against the fish. After 3 1/2 hours and close to ten miles of zig zagging around be pulled and chasing I lost a battle to a fish I never saw. That was just the beginning I could go on and on. I ended the season with ten hook ups 6 fights totalling over 12 hours behind the reel and one fish in the boat!! They taught me a thing or two, I am a fisherman and a good one to, but giants are giants they are smart they are crafty and they are more powerful than I ever imagined. I lost 3 boat side in the motors they know how to cut that line off and they will if you let them.
Absolutely the best fishing season to date, only problem is now I suffer a great depression for lack of time in pursuit of sea monsters. I work, even on weekends to try and keep my mind off it. Some ice would be nice, I'd like to hunt down a big school of whites. I intend to put a serious hurting on them this year if we get some ice
Shivering Joe came out for a day of tuna fishing
Crayfish and perchbait also made a trip
Good times had by all
Maybe theyll post up some pics of there time on the dreamcatcher this summer

Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:27 PM »
 :clap: Good work Wes. Glad to hear that you finally got one on board. Next year will be something else with all the experience you earned this year. Thanks for the update, it was a good read. Good luck with the whites, hopefully I can join you on one of those trips. I have Thursdays off, btw.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Good stuff man I'm glad you landed one!  Good read too.  Will have to get on the ice when we actually get some.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2015, 11:03 PM »
"...I could go on and on."  I wish you would, that was great to read.  I would love to feel one of those monsters rip the line off the reel.  Stories like this are very therapeutic to the pain that is caused by such warm weather, and no ice in sight.  Maybe eventually we'll get the chance to chase some whites around St. A .

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:28 AM »
   Great read ! Great fish ! More please !!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2015, 08:07 AM »
Awesome Tuna Wes!!! Congratulations. Your a great fisherman, and it's certainly good to see that your perseverance has paid off.
As far as the trip my Dad and I made with you, it was one of the most memorable days on the water for me. Between jigging up our limit of Haddock, hooking up into some monster sharks, landing a beautiful Striper, and Sabiki jigging for mackerel and those pesky pollock, it was a fantastic day. We also caught some species of fish that I've never even heard of. Unfortunately, we were too busy fishing to fully document the day in pictures, but I still remember it as if it were yesterday, so I guess there was no need to waste time taking pictures at all. ;D
Here are the two that we did manage to get. I was amazed at how hard the fish fought out there. Even the mackerel will make your arms burn after a while.

Thanks Wes for an unforgettable adventure!!!!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2015, 08:30 AM »
You lost me at the part where your girlfriend left you and you were sad. I have been married for 17years. You should send that woman a thank you card.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2015, 12:32 PM »
BOOM!!
88" 410 pounds live
330lbs dressed sold at auction in Japan sweet!!
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Holy smokes!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

You should be on the wicked tuna..  ;D ;D
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2015, 02:07 PM »
That looks awesome. Never gone tuna fishing. Seems like an epic adventure
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Holy cow Wes! What a fish! I'm surprised it didn't crank you out of the boat like a rag doll! That thing is a BEAST. I bet it earned you a pretty penny as well!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2015, 05:20 AM »
Great post and an awesome  fish !!!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:24 AM »
You lost me at the part where your girlfriend left you and you were sad. I have been married for 17years. You should send that woman a thank you card.

LMAO! I agree, send that woman a thank you card, gave you your life back  ;D

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting!

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Wow that is an incredible fish!
It's great that a some of the VT crew came for a couple trips.  I'm definitely hooked on the ocean after hitting Sarasota FL and Cape Cod this year.
This story is easing some of the pain from our missing ice.  I'm still canoe fishing!  I'm going to pick up a wetsuit today... you know- so I don't die if I fall in the water. ;)  You should put that boat in Champlain and catch some salmon!   ;D

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2015, 12:04 PM »
That's a lot of cans!  ;D
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:27 AM »
Congratulation, Wes!!  That is a beauty!  Must have had your hands full chasing that thing around by yourself.  I've watched "Wicked Tuna", and it looks like a lot of work with 3 guys on board!  Your dog (sorry, I forgot her name) doesn't look too impressed, though.

Perchbait and I had a great time on the "Dreamcatcher" with you.  Like PB said, we caught our limit of haddock while waiting on sharks or tuna, I think PB caught something like 8 different species on that trip.  Of course, he is a fish magnet, so that helps! 

Congrats again, Wes, and hopefully we'll get to see you on the ice some time this year.

Shaun

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2015, 08:43 AM »
Thats amazing! Dream of catching something like that, hell even hooking up would be incredible to me!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.