The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Does barometer readings have any affect on fish biting-ice fishing?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
My grandfather used to swear by what the barometer was reading. If it was rising, the fish would bite better and he would make an effort to go. If it was dropping, he just wouldn't go fishing due to no fish biting.

My experience with how fish bit was a good sunny day was good for fishing and a heavy snow day was good for fishing, the fish seemed to bite better on those types of days.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish seem to bite best when the barometer is changing up or down for me.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
absolutely the best time to go is when you can

Offline vt icehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
I totally agree with you, tracker one

Offline Huntnfishvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
absolutely the best time to go is when you can
well said!

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
You people are funny, and I fully understand your replies "absolutely the best time to go is when you can"....I get that. Ice fishing is fun.
But as far as any experience as to HOW the fish bite in reference to the barometer and whether it's moving up, down, or moving at all- is it all wives tales?!?

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
One of the best ice fishing days for me was blowing a gale with snow.  The only reason we went was neither of us wanted to be the wimp.   Crazy, eh?

That day I caught the largest ice rainbow I have ever caught, 27 inches, as well as a whack of kokanee.

Still usually stay home, though, in that kind of weather, as there will be other days to go.
Ted

Offline Vtbassman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I did it because the red lines told me to.
This could get long..

Remember the saying:
Wind out of the north, don't venture forth (bad)
Wind out of the east, fish bite the least (bad)
Wind out of the south, blows the bait in their mouth (good)
Wind out of the west, fish bite the best (good)

How does wind play into this?  Here's how.  See how this fits with your thinking on fishing success as well as the general weather patterns.

North wind indicates a rising barometer, clearing skies, and generally not great fishing, especially in shallow or relatively shallow water.  There is also something to be said about the added air pressure and its effect on the water column and the microorganisms that start the food chain.

East wind is also an indicator of a high barometer and for all the same reasons as above, generally not great for fishing.  We don't see a lot of strong east wind in this area due to our position relative to the Atlantic.

South wind indicates a falling barometer, and with thickening skies and generally less pressure on the water column and the above mentioned microorganisms, the food chain gets in motion.  Little things get moving and bigger things eat them.

West wind indicates a falling barometer, trending toward a rise in barometric pressure.  Think of the wind shift as a storm approaches.  A line of storms is generally a boundary of higher pressure approaching the area.  Commonly we think of a west wind as the best mostly because we will see a relative flurry of activity as compared to the shift of wind to the north and the rising of pressure (and lowering of fishing success).

All of these things are just generalities.  There are exceptions, of course.  Nature is impossible to predict.  These things are comparable to the "best and worst days" to fish or hunt, as relating to moon phases.  There are times when those days turn out the exact opposite way they were supposed to be, but if you were to take a big sample, you would find them to be the case more often than not.

Or I could be full of it...
Vexilar Marine Electronics

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
This could get long..

Remember the saying:
Wind out of the north, don't venture forth (bad)
Wind out of the east, fish bite the least (bad)
Wind out of the south, blows the bait in their mouth (good)
Wind out of the west, fish bite the best (good)

How does wind play into this?  Here's how.  See how this fits with your thinking on fishing success as well as the general weather patterns.

North wind indicates a rising barometer, clearing skies, and generally not great fishing, especially in shallow or relatively shallow water.  There is also something to be said about the added air pressure and its effect on the water column and the microorganisms that start the food chain.

East wind is also an indicator of a high barometer and for all the same reasons as above, generally not great for fishing.  We don't see a lot of strong east wind in this area due to our position relative to the Atlantic.

South wind indicates a falling barometer, and with thickening skies and generally less pressure on the water column and the above mentioned microorganisms, the food chain gets in motion.  Little things get moving and bigger things eat them.

West wind indicates a falling barometer, trending toward a rise in barometric pressure.  Think of the wind shift as a storm approaches.  A line of storms is generally a boundary of higher pressure approaching the area.  Commonly we think of a west wind as the best mostly because we will see a relative flurry of activity as compared to the shift of wind to the north and the rising of pressure (and lowering of fishing success).

All of these things are just generalities.  There are exceptions, of course.  Nature is impossible to predict.  These things are comparable to the "best and worst days" to fish or hunt, as relating to moon phases.  There are times when those days turn out the exact opposite way they were supposed to be, but if you were to take a big sample, you would find them to be the case more often than not.

Or I could be full of it...

Very well written article. I couldn't of said it better. I also try to live by the old fisherman wise tale. Especially when I used to do my fishing charters on Lake Champlain
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any change in the barometer is good. ALso on the way to your spot look to see if cows or horses are up and feeding if applicable. In my experience 9 times out of 10 if the animals above water are feeding then the animals below water are. ;)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
I am a believer that reguardless of pressure, the moon phase also effects fishing. full moon seems to indicate a much tougher bite. my 2 cents
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Barometric pressure definitely has an effect both on fish and game.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish seem to bite best when the barometer is changing up or down for me.
Xs 2 on that!

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
Any change in the barometer is good. ALso on the way to your spot look to see if cows or horses are up and feeding if applicable. In my experience 9 times out of 10 if the animals above water are feeding then the animals below water are. ;)
I haven't heard anyone ever make that connection before...Hmmm, might be onto something there Tench!!!

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie

Interesting. I'll certainly keep watch for the "animals above water" and if they're feeding or not and how it coincides with my fishing.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
Ssw winds Saturday!!
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I personally hate south winds while trying to catch lakers and usually stay home.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Blackink

• IceShanty Rookie
here is a great article that should help clear things up..

http://www.weather.com/outlook/outdoor-activities/fishing-reports/articles/fishing-by-barometer_2010-10-29

Great article Joe.
"Low means Slow".... I would have to agree with what the article reads, my grandfather believed in using barometer readings and making decisions on going fishing or not depending onwhat it was reading.

We fished Lake Memphremagog one Saturday, a beautiful day-sunny with calm or no winds, and caught a bunch of good sized perch out near the twin islands. We decided to travel back up there on Sunday because of the good fishing we had experienced.

When we did arrive back on Sunday, the wind was blowing like nobody's business and the temperature was dropping and no sun. Obviously a front was moving in and the fish hardly bit at all. We barely got any hits on our minnows but I did manage to hook onto a large Lake trout, 2 feet up from the bottom in 30-40 feet of water using a small perch minnow. I only got to see it when it swam just beneath the hole in the ice and then it dove down.
The thing snapped my line but everything that happened on that Saturday-good fishing with great weather, and then Sunday-heavy winds, dropping temps, no sun- hardly any bites at all and getting a hit on that Lake trout so close to the bottom relates to what that Spud Woodward states from his experiences with barometer readings and fish activity.

Someone else's personal results may vary though.....

Now if I could just get barometric readings ffor my area rom the Weather Channel's Web site.......

Interesting article none the less. Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.