The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: headed to stratton this weekend  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Meppsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
headed to stratton this weekend
« on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Any recommendations on lakes/ponds around Stratton Mountain? Set up for anything, any help would be helpfull and appreciated. Thanks.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice like an idiot.

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
Re: headed to stratton this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 04:09 AM »
depends on how far you want to drive.  the only place close i know of is Gale Meadows, perch and lots of Bass and some huge ones.  don't know if you can keep them.  check a vermont atlas it's on there.  emerald lake 45 minutes from stratton huge pike and perch

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:13 AM »
there is also lowell lake in Londonderry.

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:33 AM »
You can get bait in Manchester on rte 11/30 at "The Reel Angler". The final 1/4 to 1/2 mile of road in Gale Meadows in Bondville may no be plowed.
Gale meadows has yellow perch, bluegills, pickeral and largemouth. You can not keep bass. Jigging wise pink or orange are best colors. Water has a tannic color to it.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:50 AM »
If you goto Gale Meadows or Lowell you can get bait in Jamaica at Woodruff Bait on Castle Hill Road, he would be less out your way than dropping down to Manchester and backtracking.

From the F&W site:

WOODRUFF BAIT
FOREST  WOODRUFF
Baitfish available: Jan Feb March April Dec  PO BOX 108 CASTLE HILL ROAD
JAMAICA VT 05343 (802) 874-4421 Statewide 

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I forgot about Forrest....He'll have better bait to!!!!

Offline JigStickShaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch with Electric Knife
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:43 AM »
depends on how far you want to drive.  the only place close i know of is Gale Meadows, perch and lots of Bass and some huge ones.  don't know if you can keep them.  check a vermont atlas it's on there.  emerald lake 45 minutes from stratton huge pike and perch

I have fished here in the past and had luck with many perch and pickeral through the ice on the backside, is there any deeper water in Gale Meadows? We love to catch bass through the ice and take photos before a safe return but i have only caught bass there on the open water in a canoe. Any advice, is it better by the dam or cove to the right where the house sits up on the hill?

We actually came across a warm dead deer there one time as well when headed out to ice fish, looked like a coy dog had made one bite that punctured a lung, it was a shame ... nice doe.

Any advice on locating the bass at Gale Meadows?

Offline dustyl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Just wanted to drag this topic up again- I am new to ice fishing (and this forum) and heading out to Stratton this weekend.  How have things been on Gale Meadows?  I saw a few old posts saying the perch were a little wormy at one time.  Is this still the case?  I'm just looking to bring a few home for dinner each night before going trophy hunting on some of the larger lakes to the north.

Also, I had a question on VT law- is it OK to have a small fire on the ice or is this illegal/frowned upon.  Obviously I would clean up and take everything off the ice with me so it doesn't end up at the bottom of the lake.  I just ask this, because I will be fishing sans shanty, and would love to be able to warm up the hands every so often (and maybe enjoy a fresh fish for breakfast).

Offline JigStickShaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch with Electric Knife
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:49 PM »
Just wanted to drag this topic up again- I am new to ice fishing (and this forum) and heading out to Stratton this weekend.  How have things been on Gale Meadows?  I saw a few old posts saying the perch were a little wormy at one time.  Is this still the case?  I'm just looking to bring a few home for dinner each night before going trophy hunting on some of the larger lakes to the north.

I spoke to the folks in Manchester on rte 11/30 at "The Reel Angler" last weekend. He said the perch and blue gill fishing was good right now there. We went to Lowell Lake in Londonderry but didn't get many perch. Good luck and let us know how things go if you make a trip to Gale Meadows. Interested in if you catch many bass there, my friends like to bass fish and we go up once a year for a Vermont ice fish.

Offline dustyl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 02:55 PM »
I'll be sure to report back.  I'll likely have a few tip-ups with live bait out for bass/pickerel.

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:35 PM »
yeh you can have a fire on the ice and it wouldn't hurt to leave the ashes or a little wood there i guess.  Of course you don't want to leave a big unsightly mess either

Offline dustyl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Fished Gale Meadows on Saturday (2/13). Caught a lot of pickerel and one decent largemouth, fishing around the point with the farmhouse on it.  Sunday headed to Emerald Lake looking for northern pike.  Fished the weed beds between the island and train tracks.  No luck at all.  It was still better than being at work though :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.