The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Never thought I'd see the day  (Read 2469 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Never thought I'd see the day
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Another example of you guys striving to be just like the rest of us Mark. :'( :(  What's next, State stocking Walleye in Long ???

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Another example of you guys striving to be just like the rest of us Mark. :'( :(  What's next, State stocking Walleye in Long ???
Don't give anybody any ideas. 

I'll be in Mexico for half the extended season anyway @)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2017, 06:36 PM »
gamefisher  Walleyes would be a great addition to some bodies of water.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2017, 07:43 PM »
      Chesuncook. ?

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2017, 06:54 AM »
Guess this weekend to camp will be more than a snowmobile trip.  Ride in the morning, and watch traps in the afternoon.  Gonna be a great 3 days

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2017, 07:37 AM »
I for one would love to see the state stock several different species of fish in Maine. I would like
to see Steelhead stocked in Sebago, and walleyes in many of our waters that Maine has to
continually stock brook trout in.  Anyone that has not caught a walleye, or eaten one does not
know what they are missing. IMO the single best fish to stock in Maine is a Walleye.  Another
thing is you don't have to continually stock them.  After several stockings they should take care
of themselves.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2017, 07:53 AM »

Little Sebago ? For sure along with pike.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Time for a perch jerk guys........
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2017, 08:41 AM »
I read somewhere that the walleye had been introduced into a body of water in maine. Just can't remember the lake.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I believe it was in the Belgrades.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I for one would love to see the state stock several different species of fish in Maine. I would like
to see Steelhead stocked in Sebago, and walleyes in many of our waters that Maine has to
continually stock brook trout in.  Anyone that has not caught a walleye, or eaten one does not
know what they are missing. IMO the single best fish to stock in Maine is a Walleye.  Another
thing is you don't have to continually stock them.  After several stockings they should take care
of themselves.
X2

Offline Fishteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2017, 12:36 PM »
i think they should stock some of the more remote downeast lakes with walleye or steelhead to encourage people to get out there and fish. Aside from west grand and grand lake stream the area doesn't have to much of a draw. Most of the lakes have small native brookie populations, togue, and salmon but these can be found in other areas of maine and usually are better fishing. They just need to be selective in there picks of which lakes and find the ones that are mainly bass and white perch populations that aren't connected to quality coldwater lakes

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2017, 12:45 PM »
If the pike issue in Maine over the last few decades teaches anything, it is that once fish are introduced somewhere, legally or illegally doesn't really matter, they will start showing up in nearby water bodies no matter what you do.  Can't stock fish in one bass/perch lake and expect that they won't show up in a great cold water fishery nearby at some point in the next 50 years or so. Not really a question of if, just when.

If you want walleye, there are tons of great fisheries across the country.  Not many places left with good populations of landlocked salmon and brookies

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2017, 12:51 PM »
If the pike issue in Maine over the last few decades teaches anything, it is that once fish are introduced somewhere, legally or illegally doesn't really matter, they will start showing up in nearby water bodies no matter what you do.  Can't stock fish in one bass/perch lake and expect that they won't show up in a great cold water fishery nearby at some point in the next 50 years or so. Not really a question of if, just when.

If you want walleye, there are tons of great fisheries across the country.  Not many places left with good populations of landlocked salmon and brookies

Agreed.  You don't have to travel very far.  There's good walleye fishing in the Connecticut River in New Hampshire.

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Walleyes were stocked in long 50 years ago and were eventually elektroshocked to kill them off......... Several have been caught in the last ten years and biologists have recorded several different aged walleye In their trapping in the last several years indicating some breeding...... I have a camp on long and would not be opposed to reintroduction and expansion of a walleye population

Offline Eroy4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2017, 04:39 AM »

Exactly, I rather Maine be known for its Brook trout and Landlocked Salmon. Steelhead and Walleye are both great game fish, but If I want to catch a Steelhead or Walleye I'll go to the pacific northwest or the Midwest. Stocking Steelhead/rainbow trout in Sebago lake would not make any sense to me at all (not even sure that it would actually qualify as as Steelhead anyway,) l. I feel that the prestige factor of certain game fish (like Steelhead) has been diluted some by expanding the population out of its native range.

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2017, 08:34 AM »
You guys do realize that a steelhead is just a sea-run rainbow trout right?!? 
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2017, 10:25 AM »
There are rainbows in the upper Kennebec and Androscogin rivers. It's only a matter of time until they migrate downstream to the ocean. When they come back to the rivers to spawn there will be steelhead in Maine.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2017, 11:14 AM »
There are rainbows in the upper Kennebec and Androscogin rivers. It's only a matter of time until they migrate downstream to the ocean. When they come back to the rivers to spawn there will be steelhead in Maine.

There are rainbows in the tidal waters of mousam .

http://www.maineflyfish.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4700-sea-runs-anyone/

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Great! I wish the state of N.H. had of kept up with the Co Ho stocking They stayed around in Casco bay for several years and we were catching some 10lb in size . But I think the Bait trappers caught them all.

Offline Eroy4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2017, 05:10 PM »
You guys do realize that a steelhead is just a sea-run rainbow trout right?!? 

Yes, genetically they are the same fish. The strain of rainbow used does play a part in the fishes life cycle though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.