The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62494 times)

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #330 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Any ice condition reports for Lansing and surrounding areas? I drive to Mt Pleasant weekly and the ponds along 127 near St. Johns still had ice, but the shore ice was gone for the first one or two feet. Wondering  how the ice on Jordan, Morrison, Tuper,  and Chemung are doing?

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #331 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Hey guys sorry for being a stranger, let's just say I had an okay season. Did most of my fishing out on the west side of MI where my lady resides, so I didn't get to do much reporting for this thread. Glad to see you guys worked together a bit to help each other out. That's why I made this thread!!! Anyways stay safe on this late ice guys please. Let one or two people know where your going and when if you plan on going out on your own. Bring the picks and the spud out again.

Also side note, I'm looking to open the boat up soon and my tradition is always to hit Lake Ovid first to open the open water season up. Does anyone know how it's looking out there?
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #332 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Good to hear from you, red! Was wondering where you'd been. All in all it was a real good ice fishing season around here. But I wasn't expecting it would end this quick. I'm guessing it's over around here, but I haven't been out to check any lakes since the rain. Would also like to hear reports, but just be careful.

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat, sleep, college, fish. It's what I do!
« Reply #333 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Thanks for the reports this year guys they were helpful!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #334 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Well, here we are again fellas. This thread has been awesome the past 3 years. Lets keep it going! Lets talk about game plans/equipment this year to get the thread started!!! Per usual, youll see me walking around on 2 inches or so as soon as i find it! Will give reports more regularly this year. Last year i had a career change and started my own business so you all can imagine ive been working my butt off between last ice and now. But i think ive found more time to really get this thread rolling like we had it the first year! I'm absolutely pumped for ice fishing this year and i hope you all are as well!!!
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Nov 02, 2018, 06:33 PM »
We got some ice making temps coming fellas!!!

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #336 on: Nov 10, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Myself and fishingixxer were just discussing the upcoming season. Both of us are very excited, cannot believe we already have snow here in the Lansing area. Hopefully cold temps stick around!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #337 on: Nov 12, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Well if it’s anything you read into Barker, they’re saying this year is actually supposed to be a warmer than average and dryer than average winter. I guess we’ll see. I feel like for the past 4 years we haven’t really had much of an ice fishing season. Per usual I’ll be checking the regular spots that I do at the beginning of the year. Park Lake tends to freeze first around here. In theory I believe it’s due to its low oxygen levels. Plus the lake isn’t very deep and is a relatively shallow bowl besides the hole. One new thing I’m gonna try this year is make some
Of my own DIY I-fish pros out of wood. If you fellas haven’t checked out I-fish pros yet, they are so much fun to use. Basically a tip up with your rod attached so you can fight the fish with your rod and reel instead of hand over hand. I found a video of a guy making the Clam Ice version of them if anyone would like me to publish the link here just let me know!!!

Offline Barker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #338 on: Nov 18, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Thanks for that information regarding Park Lake. I will be sure to keep my eyes peeled on those temperatures.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #339 on: Nov 20, 2018, 01:36 AM »
WE GOT LOTS OF SKIM FELLAS!!!!! We’re getting there!!! Kinda
Weird this year.  Seems warmer than usual yet we have ice forming. I’m not complaining but we do have a warm up this weekend. I’ll be out musky fishing until the lakes are locked up!!! I’ll keep you all posted!

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Nov 20, 2018, 04:12 PM »
Howdy Folks!
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #341 on: Dec 01, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Got on in Mid Michigan yesterday folks! 2-4”. Also wrangled my personal best northern! 38 1/4!!! I’ll be checking the ice around Lansing next week!!!

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #342 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:13 PM »
Nice!

I won't hit the unless there is a minimum 4...be carefull out there!
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Well..........after the hard freeze Saturday, thinking there are some guys out on thin ice. 

Good to see we have a skim of solid black ice, just hoping for a few night of single digits and I so not see that in any forecasts.

Getting closer!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #344 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:52 PM »
I got out on Lake Lansing and also another small pond today. Lake Landing had about 3.5”, other pond was at 3”. We can say goodbye to that though after this rain and heat wave we’re about to have. Chin up fellas. Bite hasn’t been all that great so far anyways. Lol

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #345 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:26 PM »
I'm getting ready. I just bought some ice armor mittens, and Baffin Titan boots. I'm excited about the boots. I'm getting old, and no laces will be nice.
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Meet Up This Winter?
« Reply #346 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Let's think about a meet up!
When we hit decent ice this year.  Let's do a meet up.  I don't care if it is a junk lake like Crego, or something better like Morrison or Tupper.  Total Firearms pit  can have a decent bite.  A Saturday or Sunday.  Depending on the popularity of the parking spot, we may have to start early.  Maybe Oldreddbeard would help us find a good time and spot?  I'll be busy as the ice permits, and suggest things as I can.
- Joe

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #347 on: Dec 20, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I would like to get together and meet some of the Lansing guys. I bought so much stuff last year and got skunked all most every time I went out. HELP ;D
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #348 on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:50 PM »
I've been watching ice fishing videos today Oldredbeard I think I watched you catch that pike 

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #349 on: Dec 23, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I would like to get together and meet some of the Lansing guys. I bought so much stuff last year and got skunked all most every time I went out. HELP ;D

Last year I bought a Ridgid hammer drill with all the auger stuff and extra batteries for it.  A new Shappel 3000 shanty.  A Garmin striker portable fish finder.  A North Face Mcmurdo? parka.  A Big Buddy heater.   I caught fish once.  Might as well call them Goldfish for what I spent on them.  This year I already bought a fish camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076M2PWHF , New Ice Armor mittens, and some Baffin Titan boots.  I still keep using my 30 year old little stick fishing poles.  Some things never change.
- Joe

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #350 on: Dec 25, 2018, 05:03 AM »
Hate to be a pessimist but I have a sneaking suspicion this year is going to be a total junk year for ice fishing at least in our neck of the woods. They predicted a warmer and drier than normal winter this year and it’s definitely proving to be so far. Warmups and rain suck. I’ll more than likely be spending most of my ice season up north this year. But per usual I’ll always keep this thread updated on Lansing area ice conditions/bite. And wormdunker yes that was me on the Peelindrag channel if that’s the video you saw of my 38 1/4 pike. Me and josh do most of our ice fishing together these past two seasons. We always want to get out on first ice when no one else wants to do the footwork and find some
to walk on. Me and him have a couple
Ideas this season for a couple more cool ice fishing videos. Hopefully we have a cold snap at some point to at least get us a nice base layer going.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:15 AM »
In for a meetup... going north Jan. 25th for yearly trip.

Hopefully we will have safe ice here in 2 weeks...

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #352 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I. went to Cergo park and Hawk Island today ice is open around all edges. I would be open to a gettogether even if it's up north. 

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #353 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:58 AM »
any Lansing guys want to go to the Ultimate fishing show in Novi? I have two buy on get one free tickets but I can only go Thursday Jan 10 hours 11 to 9. I can drive but have a Colorado ex cab you have to be really really short to fit back there

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #354 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Any one interested in a up north day trip fishing? Going to be a few.weeks before we have ice down here.  I'm open to any suggestions except for Houghton lake. After ten years of annual weekend trips to Houghton and not catching enough to call it successful,  I'm done going there.

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #355 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Yeah I'm up for it on Thurs/Friday.  I'll probably go around Harrison because I know several lakes are in good shape. Agreed abour Houghton, Wingsfan; hard lake to fish. Just got back from Mille Lacs and a sleeper shanty. Pretty dang cool but I only got one northers (40") and a couple walleyes. We has cameras and all the tech known to God and Man and rarely saw a fish and NO FREAKING PERCH! But there was 16" of ice everywhere. So anyway, Thursday or Friday. PM me and I'll suggest a destination.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline FragsFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #356 on: Jan 10, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Compli123 and wingsfan87 I am interested in going on a ice trip I just moved to Lansing from Illinois for work. Need to find fishing spots

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #357 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:35 AM »
I’m not getting my hopes up, but looks like we’ll have some ice soon fellas. We already have 1/2” formed on the smaller ponds in places around town. Then next week we have a cold snap coming. As usual I’ll be out there checking spots once I think it’s worth the drives. I’ll keep you all updated.

Offline FragsFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #358 on: Jan 12, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Anyone fish Gun lake or Union lake a lot? Not sure which lakes to fish for pan fish and walleye around Lansing area.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #359 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:26 PM »
Question....... can you list items in these threads that are for sale? Or is there a special section on iceshanty.com for the sale of items?
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.