The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62897 times)

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #150 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:06 PM »
I swung buy Crego just before I took the kids to the Hawk Island sledding hill.  There were a couple test holes near the edge, but no sign of anyone fishing.  I live over by Jolly/Waverly area.   I just bought a brushless Ridgid hammer drill and a 5" lazer auger.  I'm dying to try that out.  Tonight I ordered a Garmin Striker 4 portable kit fish finder thing.  Starting next Wednesday it is supposed to start getting very cold.  We should have ice next weekend.  I've got a Shappel 3000 folding shanty, but now I'm driving a tiny Chevy Spark clown car, so that's not going to work.  I guess I can steal the wife's grand caravan :)

- Joe

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:34 PM »
I'm thinking next weekend as well. Gotta decide where... Mostly target panfish.

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Jan 01, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Something to contribute, as I promised to do when I had something.
Got onto Foxknoll for a quick pre-hunt fish.  The ice was good around the South and East. I didn't go to the north but there were some guys over there. Nobody was cutting across the middle. 3-5 inches where I was.
The bite was good.  Nothing outrageous in size but some keeper panfish. Beautiful day.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Jan 01, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Thanx brother

Offline Scottman1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:52 PM »
Curious how ice will be this weekend

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Jan 04, 2017, 06:43 AM »
I think the ice on most lakes should be good to go by the weekend. Its supposed to be very cold for the rest of the week.

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:47 AM »
I have a cousin from Georgia who has never ice fished before coming up on the 20th of January. I hope we have ice by then she's gonna be disappointed if she comes all this way and we can't get out.

Personally I think shes gonna freak out even if there was 20 inches of ice...... ;D

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Looks like were gonna be back in business by the weekend fellas. Gonna try out some new lakes this weekend. Duck and Narrow. Also am gonna check how saubee is looking as well. Thanks for all the reports guys much appreciated
I知 a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Thanks for keeping this thread going, guys. I enjoy reading it from afar and I'll chip in when I get back and out on the ice later this month.

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Looks like were gonna be back in business by the weekend fellas. Gonna try out some new lakes this weekend. Duck and Narrow. Also am gonna check how saubee is looking as well. Thanks for all the reports guys much appreciated

Duck is one of my favorites. The bite can be slow, but there are big fish in there.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Due we have a Lansing area ICE whisperer ? Went by the Dell rd. pits the one on south side open water next to road. When will the ice be safe?
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Those ponds opened back up with the rain the other day. I'm afraid the pond with sycamore creek running into it isn't going to freeze at all this yes unlike last year when you could almost fish the creek

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Due we have a Lansing area ICE whisperer ? Went by the Dell rd. pits the one on south side open water next to road. When will the ice be safe?

Thats one of my favorite "secret spots" so to speak lol. That pit takes a while longer to lock up due to its depth. The north side gets as deep as 32' and with such a drastic drop from shore, makes it that much skechier to take a chance on until you know for sure theres at least 4". I usually only take two trips out there in the winter just cuz because o the hike. That was actually the first spot i tried to walk on the year. Trampled thru a foot of snow to get out there only to find two inches of crap ice. Good little spot tho. Tbis will probably be the last year we'll get to stand on it due to the townhouses theyre putting in. Sucks.
I知 a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Has anyone tried ice fishing behindtotal fire arms on here? I know in the summer they charge you. Wonder if they charge this time of year and if it would be worth the charge if so

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:27 PM »
I do believe they charge 15$ a day to fish it, there's quite a bit of springs in it so it takes a little longer to freeze up. It's not a bad pike lake but as far as panfish goes I don't think I'd spend the money

Offline Sustainable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I am thinking the Same Redbeard, Narrow and Duck. Never fished either. I might cruise by tomorrow just for a visual and see what is happening.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:46 PM »
I do believe they charge 15$ a day to fish it, there's quite a bit of springs in it so it takes a little longer to freeze up. It's not a bad pike lake but as far as panfish goes I don't think I'd spend the money

They charge $5 a day for ice fishing according to http://www.totalfirearmsgunshop.com/boat-rentals  $15 is to rent a boat for the day.  I might give it a shot, just because I haven't tried there before.  Heck, if the fishing doesn't work out, I can always go to their indoor range and warm up by cooking a few clips of 9MM or 357.
- Joe

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Okay that sounds a little more reasonable, thank you for confirming that Joe. I've seen some pictures of decent pike caught on tip ups out there, and what a great way to warm up!

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Who sells pike tip-up minnows?
« Reply #168 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:52 PM »
I know Grand River Bait & Tackle does.  Anyone else?  I could always go to Pruesses Pet store.  But that's gonna get expensive fast..:)
- Joe

Offline Lil bluegill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Grand river also has been running out of minnows quite a bit this year so I usually call ahead before going out there. Total firearms sells them, round lake party store used to but last I heard they were closed down?

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:25 PM »
If anyone is looking for suckers, perch minnows, spikes etc (aside from mousies because they did not take well this year) i had my recieving manger stock up yesterday from knutsons at Gander. All the suckers look nice and juicy ranging from 3-6 inches. Get em while we got em. Youre welcome folks.

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:29 PM »
They charge $5 a day for ice fishing according to http://www.totalfirearmsgunshop.com/boat-rentals  $15 is to rent a boat for the day.  I might give it a shot, just because I haven't tried there before.  Heck, if the fishing doesn't work out, I can always go to their indoor range and warm up by cooking a few clips of 9MM or 357.
- Joe
[/quote

Thanks for the heads up! Who wants to meet up for a little capitol city tip up town at total firearms or lake lansing soon??? Or any other suggestions? This thread is turning out to be quite the success. Lets put it on ice. Who's down?

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Just realized i qouted my own post. Lol

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:45 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! Who wants to meet up for a little capitol city tip up town at total firearms or lake lansing soon??? Or any other suggestions? This thread is turning out to be quite the success. Lets put it on ice. Who's down?

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Jan 06, 2017, 05:17 AM »
I don't do much tipup fishing but wouldn't mind meeting up with some people at times to fish.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline Fishingixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:53 AM »
Not sure if it applies to me but i think a lake Lansing shanty/tip up town sounds like a great idea. I would be in.

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Not sure if it applies to me but i think a lake Lansing shanty/tip up town sounds like a great idea. I would be in.

A Lansing area "meet and greet".......be a way to put faces and names together.

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Jan 06, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Sounds like fun to me! I'm more of a jigger than a tipper, but still . . .
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Im more of a jigger as well. Capitol city tip up town just rolled off the tongue well  :P

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #179 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Just followed you on IG, Oldreddbeard. Based on your username here, I expected someone a little older, lol. I guess old is relative.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.