New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I'm new to this sport  (Read 621 times)

Offline SlayinBass

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm new to this sport
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals....I'm new to ice fishing! I went out last week for my first time and I'm hooked! No pun intended! I'm big into bass fishing and cat fishing. Any tips on bait, hugs, lures and equipment is welcome. I caught a ton of perch last week but I'm looking for the pike and walleye...question...t ip ups or just my rod?
I meant Jigs....but I guess I like hugs too 😂

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
Re: I'm new to this sport
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Location helps alot,if your looking for hugs you better try christianmingle.com  :roflmao: :blink:

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:57 PM »
[quote if your looking for hugs you better try christianmingle.com  :roflmao: :blink:
[/quote]

LOL

Offline 955Actual

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals....I'm new to ice fishing! I went out last week for my first time and I'm hooked! No pun intended! I'm big into bass fishing and cat fishing. Any tips on bait, hugs, lures and equipment is welcome. I caught a ton of perch last week but I'm looking for the pike and walleye...question...t ip ups or just my rod?

Looks like we both started in this past time on the same weekend. Your best bet is to search the forums for advice, lots of great information here. I would recommend that you grab a few tip ups (depending upon your State law) and give those a try too.

Good luck and welcome.
Frank

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Tip ups will allow you to spread out and locate fish. If I am fishing a new location I typically look at a map for a good starting point(Navionics app very handy)drill a hole, jig for a bit if I don't mark any fish or get any bites I will drop a tip up with a minnow and move to another spot.  Keep doing his until you get your full spread out.  Some days I don't use tip ups because the bite is on.  I also typically buy a few types of minnows and let the fish tell me which ones they like.
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Sometimes I like to check out YouTube to see what people are doing when targeting a certain species

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Welcome to the shanty :) all sorts of ice fishing addicts here willing to lend advice..  Except for trapper and riverrat, they wont give up there favorite carp hole.... Hahah JK...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Location helps alot,if your looking for hugs you better try christianmingle.com  :roflmao: :blink:
I like to give hugs, in a nice cozy shanty, light way down low, purty mouth and such.... >:(

Just kiddin, everybody calm down. But yes location in your avatar is extremely helpful.  Fish eat bugs and other fish. Put that on the tip of your hook, drop in a hole in the ice and pull the fish up through the hole in the ice, toss fish on top of ice and repeat...
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Welcome aboard. I have been ice fishing a long time but am new to this site. You will be glad you joined. Another good way to learn about a lake or a species is to stop and talk to other people on the ice. Some people are a little stand offish, but a lot of us are willing to help, share a beer and even a little venison. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I wager 50 quatloos  in the  new comer and  believe he will catch a lot of fish!!!!

Offline SlayinBass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Hugs lmao so iPhone chooses hugs over jigs...who knew. I just got some new boots from amazon, Baffin...problem is they run small and I'm going out Saturday. I'm gonna try gander and field and stream. It looking for recommendations for a good warm boot. I'm not opposed to spending 150-200 but I don't want cold toes. What's the best options and has anyone tried the Sorel Caribou?
I meant Jigs....but I guess I like hugs too 😂

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Hugs lmao so iPhone chooses hugs over jigs...who knew. I just got some new boots from amazon, Baffin...problem is they run small and I'm going out Saturday. I'm gonna try gander and field and stream. It looking for recommendations for a good warm boot. I'm not opposed to spending 150-200 but I don't want cold toes. What's the best options and has anyone tried the Sorel Caribou?
I have a pair of baffin poler sports but had to get a size bigger, But they are awesome, warm and lite. Got them at gander.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:17 PM »
I don't get out towards Rochester and fish much but can say get a couple spoons and some jigging rapalas,I use 6lb test Mainly on my jigging rods,I'm not one who likes chasing tip ups so no help there ,when it comes to rods my walleye rods are medium light action, sometimes I tip my spoons / jig rap with a minnow head sometimes it's not needed,good luck this yr ,be safe and hide the wallet

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:36 PM »
My tip is don't tell the DEC your targeting bass out of season they have to be an accidental -miscatch. always set out a few tip ups to try to determine where the fish are and if they want moving or dead bait. youtube like others have said can be an invaluable resource as well as this forum just get specific we will all help you out. Tip: try some small treble hooks for tip-ups with fluorocarbon.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.