Author Topic: Sally  (Read 8878 times)

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sally
« on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:31 PM »
Anybody think salamonie will b good to go by the weekend 105 area?

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sally
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Seriously 50 + reads and no comments. Stinkn trolls. Lol. I know it was half open 2 days ago but as of yesterday it locked up i know its not ready. But its usually 1 of the 1st places to get safe ice.....

Offline DRJones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2021, 04:44 PM »
I was up north of Columbia City yesterday, the ice was very spotty on the lakes there.  The Salamonie river was open. Didn't go down 105 but checked a pond by there and it had was locked up with only 1/2" ice for about 3-4' from bank. The warmer days is not helping.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2021, 03:41 AM »
I would say no, not safe at all. It hits 40* today and those reservoirs lock up and build ice slower due to the current . The neighbor's 1/4 acre pond only had 2" to 2 1/2" of ice a few days ago. 

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:23 AM »
My guess is it will have safe ice but not right under the bridge. It stayed froze up during the warm spell except for under bridge. I'll be checking/fishing it tomorrow. Park on north side of bridge and fish the east or west sides on the old ice. Remember you don't need to get way out from bank to be catching fish and do not walk across channel without serious thought first. No need to move around much. Get out in 6 ft of water and sit down. Good luck if you try and be safe.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:49 AM »
Seriously 50 + reads and no comments. Stinkn trolls. Lol. I know it was half open 2 days ago but as of yesterday it locked up i know its not ready. But its usually 1 of the 1st places to get safe ice.....

Hear we go again ! I would say if there is 50 plus reads and know replies is because they don't have an answer to what your asking . Would you want someone to just say (ya it's great go for it ? )

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:51 AM »
My guess is it will have safe ice but not right under the bridge. It stayed froze up during the warm spell except for under bridge. I'll be checking/fishing it tomorrow. Park on north side of bridge and fish the east or west sides on the old ice. Remember you don't need to get way out from bank to be catching fish and do not walk across channel without serious thought first. No need to move around much. Get out in 6 ft of water and sit down. Good luck if you try and be safe.

Please let me kmow how the ice is big r. Or let me know when ur goin i might b able to meet u there..

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:32 AM »

Hear we go again ! I would say if there is 50 plus reads and know replies is because they don't have an answer to what your asking . Would you want someone to just say (ya it's great go for it ? )

I sure would no need for you to comment on my stuff buddy.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:02 PM »
I would say; "believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" (Edgar Allen Poe)!

Walk softly and carry a big spud!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2021, 12:25 PM »
I live a 30 minute drive straight east of there.  I'm unable to drive due to surgery on my foot.  But my guess is it would be sketchy.  From what I saw going to the Dr office on Mon to FWC things looked pretty bad.  Not enough cold nights and too much sun in the day time.  None of my buddies are getting out.  The ones that live here and my N. Webster buddies.  I'd wait for the Big R report.  He's pretty reliable but I still would take a spud bar.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:05 PM »
I think it depends if that construction crew is done working around the bridge. Last weekend it was open water under the bridge because those guys pull that barge in and out there.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:47 PM »
I’d stay away from the south shore or anywhere near the narrow part under bridge. It did open up but the north side east or west away from channel stayed frozen and may be fishable if not now very soon. I rarely fish the channel anyway . As I’ve said there is no need to think you have to go searching over a large area. They are either there or not. Your vex will tell you that. When we shore fish the same area we’re only ably to cast out 30 40 feet and do real well fish are close to shore. Sometimes 2 to 3 ft of water. If I make it out tonight I’ll check conditions and report this evening.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Good Luck and Be Safe Big R!!

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2021, 02:15 PM »
Does anybody know what that construction crew is actually doing down by the bridge??

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2021, 03:21 PM »
I wont be fishing tonight but will check. The work is to reinforce the base of the of the stands by putting large stone all around them to stop wash out.   

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2021, 04:36 PM »
Gotcha!!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:55 PM »
After a quick check the ice is not ready yet. Still open right under bridge rest the area is covered but weak. Needs a couple real cold nights. Even then stay clear of channel under bridge. I’m thinking Sunday afternoon for me.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:46 PM »
Thanks for checking big r. Probably going to be into feb before I make it out there

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:52 PM »
If you go Sun. Big R be careful.  Hope you are able to get on and get a few.

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:46 AM »
I haven’t been to 105 but I live in Wabash and the flow of the river is higher here than usual when Salimonie dam is set at winter pool. So as stated above, the current above the dam is something to keep in mind it will definitely slow the freeze up.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Buddy went over yesterday.  Didn't see anyone on the ice at the 105 bridge.  He didn't go test it like Big R did but he thought maybe Sat might be doable for him.  He's a pretty small guy.  The best part he said was seeing 6 eagles at the West Lost Bridge boat ramp flying around in the bright blue sky.  He was able to get some good pics.

Offline krh76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2021, 12:38 PM »
Just came across 105. No one on it but several lookers. I didn’t walk down and check the thicker looking ice but it’s got potential. Maybe soon. I did drop a rock off the bridge and it had no trouble going through. Lol

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:30 AM »
Ice was ready yesterday but guys only started fishing this morning. Bite is on. Some big fish lots of eaters. Do not go under bridge. Park and fish north side.

Offline RobertFitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2021, 11:50 AM »
Thanks for the heads up big r

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2021, 02:06 PM »
Ice was ready yesterday but guys only started fishing this morning. Bite is on. Some big fish lots of eaters. Do not go under bridge. Park and fish north side.

How muvh ice big r???

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2021, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for the info Big R.  Get on while you can as the end of next week doesn't look to good.  Wished I wasn't laid up for 4 more weeks.  That was one place I wanted to try again this winter as I haven't been over there for a long time.  Be safe.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:18 PM »
be sure to post pics of those sally monsters!
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline ED YOUNG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2021, 06:44 PM »
Was there today with my two grandson ,ice is very spotty 3 to 3.5 not good ice and marked no fish ,left after 45 minutes be very careful

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:02 AM »
3 1/2 inches with the edges less in spots. Should have gained alittle last night. Bite was on before the packers game. Stay clear from under bridge.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2021, 07:40 AM »
Thanks for the report as usual.   Might head down tomorrow.  Let me know if you're out there.  Like to put a face with the user name.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.