Author Topic: Best transducer for the FL-8 panfish icefishing?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best transducer for the FL-8 panfish icefishing?
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:09 PM »
Got the FL-8 out of mothballs and charged the battery. Never used in on the ponds on the property that max out at 11 feet, and you guessed it I need the 's' cable which I will pick up sometime this week.

I've got the 12 degee transducer on it now made for icefishing. Would there be any advantage of getting a 9 degree cone transducer?

Again to clarify. This is not one of the new models. This is the original FL-8.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best transducer for the FL-8 panfish icefishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:07 AM »
taxidermist,

Generally speaking, I prefer using a wider beam angle in water as shallow as you describe.  The only time I switch to the narrow cone in shallow water (I have the dual beam) is to try to avoid weed piles or other obstructions that can, on occaision, make the vex look like a christmas tree.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best transducer for the FL-8 panfish icefishing?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:21 AM »
     I have the "Ice-Ducer" on my FL-8 and it seems to work for my needs. I use the 9 degree and the 19 degree settings to help clarify some things I see. I do not have an S cable though, and it may have helped, but I've had the Vex for 6 or 7 years now and am very happy with it's performance. I'm going to be able to make comparisons soon though, between the FL-8 and the MarCum LX-3 with the $45. upgrade to TC-3, just because I thought there were improvements that could be made.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.