Author Topic: My observations of the MarCum LX-5 and the VS-560  (Read 2744 times)

olbaidhh

My observations of the MarCum LX-5 and the VS-560
« on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Bit the BIG bullet and got both the MarCum LX-5 and the VS-560 for myself for c-mas, and I finally got to use them this weekend. I did a LOT of research (part of my real job) and from what I have learned these units seemed to fit my needs best.

I have read the manuals on-line at the MarCum site and since forgotten most of the info. I have been way too busy to even take either unit out of the box until we got the sleeper setup on Milac's.... big mistake, here is why and my observations.

LX-5:

Liked the unit overall, seemed to work well but I could not get any of the advanced features to work right over the LX-3 because my LX-5 came packaged with an LX-3 manual!

So I was not sure if the SFL was setup right and if I was using the 8 or 20 degree cone. etc... I think I worked it right but big disappointment there. The display was nice the unit itself nice. I liked the arm feature and the power indicator, the cover, all accept the cord.

The rubber that the cord comes wrapped in was almost "loose" around the wires, hard to explain but it looks as if someone stretched it at the factory. I don't think it had any affect on the readings but you never know. Made me wonder though... I guess I would have to see it next to another to make sure mine is good. Either way I have the bad feeling that it may not be, and for $500 dollars a unit you don't want that feeling.

Battery seems good, I used the unit for over 8 hours and I still have a 90% reading.

Overall, 10 being completely satisfied and 0 being pissed off. I'd give it a 5 maybe an 8 or 9 if I had the right manual, and did not have a bad cord. Terrible quality control in my opinion. Maybe I will do another review after I print off the on-line manual.

VS-560

This unit was FUN! It worked pretty well everything was there this time, manual etc... I actually enjoyed it and I thought it worked better than expected for what it is designed to do.

The things I did not like were in the design. The cord wrap is just ok and I am not sure there is much more you can do other than the way it is setup. The pouch worked ok. I thought long and hard about better ways to wrap and hold the cord and I think this is the best it can get.

The monitor adjustment location SUCKS it is almost impossible to get at I think they could have maybe moved it to a better place. This is really the only thing I did not like on the unit itself.

The other thing I did not like was the remote control. Either I have a bad one or it just stinks. My particular one did not work unless you were right next to the unit (inches away) close enough not to bother with the remote anyway. It may be a bad battery I will check that but once again if I am spending that kind of $$$ $550 I would expect a decent battery in the remote. You also had to push the buttons so hard you thought they were going to break to get it to work. Fine inside the fish house but outside with gloves the remote would be useless, and that's where I want to use it most.

The depth, temp and direction worked well if you calibrated it right. Once in a while the direction was off but I knew it anyway based on the lures. I just eventually turned it off. Had to turn the cord and adjust it once in a while but it worked as most people out here have said pretty decent with some tweaking.

The camera when it pans makes a TON of noise, I think enough to spook fish. I took the unit out of the water and used the pan and it is LOUD. Clicky and mechanical sounding.

Also the unit battery indicator might be bad. At 2 different times the battery status light blinked and said low battery. I pressed the indicator and it said 70%. The other time it said 60%. Yet another time I pressed the indicator just out of the blue and it said 30% pressed it again about and hour later and it said 60% ???

So I might have a bad indicator, once again that bad feeling of is it working right or not?

Overall, 10 being completely satisfied and 0 being pissed off. I'd give it a 7. Maybe an 8 if I did not have issues with the remote and battery indicator, and I am not sure if other units are that loud when panning.

trapperdirk

Re: My observations of the MarCum LX-5 and the VS-560
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 02:40 AM »
Well that wrong manual does suck and it's the first such screw up like this  I've heard about .I'm not sure whether I'm grasping what you are getting at with the cord but get onto the Marcum customer service and get these things figured out .I'm sorry you are so dissatified this early as I have nothing but praise for my LX-3 and also my friends are very happy with their Lx-5's . Not to make light of your disappointment but are you jinxed . ???

Keep us informed whats happening and even though I have absolutely no affiliation with Marcum other than being an owner , if there is something I can do to help out I will gladly do so because I know its posts such as I do often on Marcums which may have influenced you to buy one and I feel a certain responsibility for your decision . I still stand exactly by what I have always said about the Marcums and only want you to share in the same satisfaction and hope your concerns are addressed and resolved .

TD

olbaidhh

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:53 AM »
we'll do....thanks

olbaidhh

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 08:12 AM »
I have been getting a few emails and PM's because some people think I am bashing MarCum.... far from it!

I spent the $1000 on the MarCums because I did the research and I bought what I though was the best product available at the time. 

I could have easily bought a FL18 Pro Pack (second choice) or an Auqaview. 

But I do research for a living and pitting one product against another and weighing out the pluses and minuses to find the best fit based on as much criteria as possible is what I am trained for.

Yes I had some problems but I still think that I will be satisfied with the units.  So far I am satisfied with the customer  support. 

Chris at MarCum has been a great help and it sounds as though my issues will be addressed. Hopefully.

Would I buy these units again?  ... yes.  Would I have bought anything else if I though it was better or if something comes out next year that blows it away made by someone else... you bet.

I want the best for my hard earned $$$.

olbaidhh

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:35 AM »
DCI,
My LX-5 still said 90% after almost 8 hours.

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:48 AM »
My lx3 does the same thing (shows 30%) but if you turn it off it will show 90% I think its a glitch in the meter.As long as its running im happy.              Ron
Bobberstop

trapperdirk

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I didn't take your post as a bash either olbaidhh ,just someone critiquing the product from a first observation . No problem there at all and it's us the consumers that need to be satisfied . I personally think you will be as satisfied as I am because I have done comparisons myself using the LX-3 and its competitors .From all the reports I'm reading the Marcum LX-5 rocks and is something special . I can't wait to get my hands on one because of the great things I'm hearing and also what I personally know from using an LX-3 . If the competition had been better and more advanced I would have went in their direction but this was not the case and I bought what I did because of it .Marcum Tech has it all together from my own personal observations and is your best bang for the buck when you stack it up against the competition but I also understand that everybody has personal preferences so they may choose a different unit .

I pay little attention anymore to the discharge numbers on the charging screen because it will vary with the temps and I have ran my LX-3 for 16 hrs before and still had juice to spare .Initially I bought a backup battery which now I have lent to a friend because I have NEVER needed it and I just have it kicking around incase I ever forget to charge my unit the night before an outing . You will see the numbers increase also when you bring your unit inside and the battery warms up to room temperature . Thats just how batteries are . They lose some zip in the cold . It also is not a Marcum issue as batteries are an entity onto themselves . I also reccommend that you wait for your battery to get back up to room temps before charging and I keep mine fully charged up as soon as I can so that performance levels are always peak . I have yet to completely ever drain mine . I also suggest that if you will not be using the unit for sometime to disconnect the DCS charger from the battery .

For those of you that have become recent owners of Marcums my congrats to you and I hope you are happy but keep us posted of your personal observations whether they are positive or negative because we are the consumers and the ones who must be satisfied in getting value for our hard earned coin . ;)

TD

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:50 PM »

For those of you that have become recent owners of Marcums my congrats to you and I hope you are happy but keep us posted of your personal observations whether they are positive or negative because we are the consumers and the ones who must be satisfied in getting value for our hard earned coin . ;)

TD

My LX-3 tc arrives tomorrow!!...I'll keep you informed....excitement is building!! ;D

Offline 1Wildbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:15 PM »
My lx-5 arrived friday and was fully charged and ready to go. I wish the manual
explained things better. I can't program the damn vcr let alone figure out how
to use this properly. I am from Albany, N.Y and if anybody would like to try it
out,and show me how to use it let me know.

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:28 PM »
I bought a marcum lx-3 this fall.  It works great.  Only problem I have had with it is the digital charging display was screwed up.  When I would charge the battery, the display would flash all sorts of weird numbers/letters/symbols.  I emailed Marcum and that day got an email back with a return authorization number.  I sent in my DCS and wall charger like they asked and got a brand new DCS and wall charger in about 3-4 days. 

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I'm lovin my LX5, I can stay out all weekend without charging, but I did notice that the readout would drop then come back up once you give it a rest for a little while.  Zoom and SFL features have been great.  I found it easy to get the hang of, but then again I am the one who programed the VCR  at home ;)

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

trapperdirk

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:47 PM »
I'm lovin my LX5, I can stay out all weekend without charging, but I did notice that the readout would drop then come back up once you give it a rest for a little while.  Zoom and SFL features have been great.  I found it easy to get the hang of, but then again I am the one who programed the VCR  at home ;)

HEHEEHHEH LBD but I bet you don't reset the exact right time every time you have power failures . Mine just gets set often by just leaving it at noon because the biggest thing that bothers me is the constant  flashing of the same number . LOL ;D A pet peeve of mine is why don't they have battery backup like on alarm clocks so no resetting is needed . >:(

This should be an interesting thread in the future weeks as more of you lads that have went with Marcums and get out using them return with your own observations and conclusions. I hope your experiences are as positive as mine have been but they could differ so lets hear them regardless . I like walking over with mine and setting it in the same hole with another friends  unit and see who can block what signal . LOL ;D

TD

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Only gotten to use my LX-5 a couple of times before the thaw, but I'm in love with it. I wouldn't part with it for anything.
I just wish I had some ice to use it on again!!!!!

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.