Author Topic: Who has the Nils Power Head? If you have this, please give some opinions.  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live In A Van Down By The River..........
I have the 8" Nils hand auger and love it.  But was thinking about adding some power this year.  I would love to hear from guys that have the power head and can tell me what they think.

Has anyone seen the bulb drilling augers that are Tanaka--are these any different from the expensive version you see at Cabelas?

A dry line will never catch a fish.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have the Tanaka Nils and they are far and away a better motor than anything else on the market, think mines something like a 270?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The powerhead is Tanaka powerhead as Esox mentioned. Its referred to as the Nils powerhead however Nils has nothing to do with it. The same powerhead can be bought at every authorized Tanaka dealer. My local Tanaka dealer has the 270 powerhead and their price is $599.99 for the head only. Tanaka makes quality equipment, have some myself.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
I wonder how a icegator power head would work on the nils auger blade? Saves weight, noise and no gas.

Anyone............?

JIGGIN.

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't think the gator power head is lighter than the Nils. I have a Nils head and love it. It is a little under powered when it hasn't warmed up but after a hole or two it runs like a champ. When I wear this one out I will buy another.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have owned a Tanaka TED-262 HD powerhead since 2003. Commercial grade engine, lightweight, efficient and no chinchy plastic parts. You can convert back to hand use something the StrikeMaster, Jiffy and Eskimo can't do.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I owned a Gator Attacker and a Nils.
Now I own a Tanaka and a Nils.
The Gator was too heavy.

Trooper Bri

The Gator is definitely not lighter. There's a post in the Auger forum comparing weights. It's isn't even close. Nils is the lightest. Dependability isn't an issue either. I know folks who are on 5 or 6 seasons with no issues.

The Tanaka engine is more RPM dependent than a traditional Jiffy, etc... They rely more on torque. You will find yourself lifting the auger at times when it starts biting too hard. That also makes it easy to tell when you've dulled the blades, it'll start bogging like a chainsaw with a dull chain.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Great info guys!

JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.