New Jersey > Ice Fishing New Jersey

Cracking Ice Sound

(1/3) > >>

Willy Q:
Hoping some of you seasoned pros might be able to give some insight on this. When I was out on Sunday morning  I heard a lot of cracking. A buddy was out on Lake H today and he heard a lot of cracking too. Is the cracking sound ice being made, ice breaking apart, or something else?

Gills-only:
What was the temp at the time? Buddy went out with temps around 40 the other day, wind was howling and ice was moving, cracking and popping, he thought was making ice!! Wrong , wind moving ice and cracks going all way across lake with water coming up !!

pickerelpete:
Here in New Jersey the cracking sound is most likely from the ice expanding as it warms. It was in the teens Sunday morning and low twenties this morning.  I was on LH today and saw and heard some cracks form when we cut some holes.  The cracks would fill quickly with water and refreeze. Not much to worry about with temps below freezing.  Be observant and careful while you are learning to read the ice. 

njsquatch:
Most likely the ice was expanding from the sun or contracting when the clouds covered it up. was out on aeroflex on sat and it was noisy as hell with the in and out of the sun.  Really gets the heart rate up when a crack forms under your feet. Remember there is no safe ice. Be safe and use the buddy system.

Lackawanna Larry:
i was on 8+ inches of ice one day and it was crackin all over.  I sorta got used to it after a couple hours and then one of the cracks shot right through between my feet.  I jumped like a cat and my buddy laughed his ass off. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version