The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: BOOTS ! (most important)  (Read 6917 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: BOOTS ! (most important)
« Reply #30 on: Oct 21, 2012, 03:11 AM »

I wore Sorels for 20 years. When I looked at the next generation of their boots I went elsewhere.

This will be the 6th or 7th year on these boots, although they didn't see much use last year.They have been 100% waterproof and warm beyond belief. I've slogged through 8"of slush and water on the ice for hours on end. No problems.  What the heck, it's Cabelas.......if you don't like them, send them back! My only complaint is the original ball bearings in the lace eyelets rusted the first year. I replaced them with SS and no problems since.

I hit the leather parts with sno-seal every year....that's about it.

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2012, 05:29 AM »

Check out  Preditor Extremes from Cabela's. ;D

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Oct 21, 2012, 06:52 AM »
               Check out  Preditor Extremes from Cabela's. ;D

This man kills black bears. If he wears these boots, you know the gotta be bad a$$.

Rg brings up a good point as well. If you dont like them, return em.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #33 on: Oct 21, 2012, 06:58 AM »
I've been wearing a pair of LaCrosse boots for 20+ years now and still doing it, keeping my feet warm. They are all rubber, built in chaps at the top of the boot and a wool/poly-wicking inserts, just a great boot.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2012, 06:27 PM »
i guess it's the mucks
Chepi

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Mucks are great,Glenns Army/Navy free shipping

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:35 AM »
My only issue with the mucks is they tend to crack on the top of your foot by the ankle due to the constant folding/bending in that area when you walk.
I have a buddy who swears by mucks, always buys them. Wears them ice fishing, hunting, and even steam/river fishing in the spring/fall.
But he wears thru them in about 3 years.

It seems like these newer generation all rubber boots are designed to fail after about 3 years.. Its for that reason alone i didn't buy mucks when i got my new boots.
I hear those Mickeys are nice but you'll need a warm sock. And are heavy as hell.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 22, 2012, 07:36 AM »
I have used Baffins for 2 years and they are worth every penny.  They have always kept my feet dry and the are rated -150 degrees.  I used to have to put those toe heat packs in to keep my toes warm all day ice fishing with my old boots.  These Baffins I wear a cotton athletic sock and my toes haven't been cold yet.  They are like a pac boot so they are a little big but VERY light great when your tromping through heavy snow.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:07 AM »
I have used Baffins for 2 years and they are worth every penny.  They have always kept my feet dry and the are rated -150 degrees.  I used to have to put those toe heat packs in to keep my toes warm all day ice fishing with my old boots.  These Baffins I wear a cotton athletic sock and my toes haven't been cold yet.  They are like a pac boot so they are a little big but VERY light great when your tromping through heavy snow.

Just as a FYI, you should never wear a cotton sock in boots. Reason being that it will absorb the sweat/moisture from your feet and hold it. Once wet a cotton sock looses ALL its thermal value.
A wool sock, even a thin one, would be much better. They retain 95% of their thermal value when wet.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #39 on: Oct 22, 2012, 12:48 PM »
I ve had muck artic pros for 3 years so they dont leak and keep your feet warm . I agree that the # 1 thing is to have boots that dont leak . I fish alot of ice that  will have a lot of snow and slush here in nw pa
RIGHT ON, ifeel the same way,i get cold now,faster then i did when i was in my 50's
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 22, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Lacrosse alpha burly,  only boots to keep my feet warm to date.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:08 AM »
Lacrosse alpha burly,  only boots to keep my feet warm to date.
Warmth has never been the issue I'm having . It's 100% Waterproof  I'm looking for . I'm just not a big fan of Muck boots . The search continues .

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:19 AM »
Warmth has never been the issue I'm having . It's 100% Waterproof  I'm looking for . I'm just not a big fan of Muck boots . The search continues .

Warmth comfort durability and 100% water proof boots? Lacrosse Alpha Burlys. Best in the game today. I absolutely punished mine for nearly 4 years and they held up great.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:56 AM »

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Sorry they are 100%  water proof as well this will be my fourth year wearing them and still love them!!

Offline Powow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Oct 23, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Woody mac muc boots.  end of story.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2012, 06:24 AM »
Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlx4XIhi8-8
Nice comparison video ! Those muck arctic look interesting . Lacrosse were never in my thoughts . A friend has Lacrosse , I agree CRAP .

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Oct 24, 2012, 06:29 AM »
Yah that was my thinking as well.
Altho i have a friend with those Mucks, and he burns thru a pair every 3 years.
But like i said, he wears them from hunting, to stream fishing, to ice fishing..

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #48 on: Oct 24, 2012, 04:38 PM »
But like i said, he wears them from hunting, to stream fishing, to ice fishing..
I only use them for ice fishing , but I do a lot of ice fishing . All conditions ! Those muck boots on the video looked like they had a zipper in the back ? Does anyone know if they do or was it just a seam ?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Oct 24, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Just a seam.

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:01 PM »
  LIKE I said b4...mucks ALL the way. Only downside that I have seen in the 8 years I been wearing these is the neoprene upper can get ripped up in super thick stuff..like deer drives etc.  So just remember to put the pants over the boots in super thick briars  etc. Since this is a fishing forum..... Muck..woody  if yer feet dont get cold...and arctic pro for cold feet guys! :tipup:

Offline dutch 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's no fish in this lake.
« Reply #51 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Although most boots have goods and bads, I work outdoors all year round and LaCrosse boots have not failed me yet.Not the most comfortable by far but IMO they're not junk.Just got my first pair of artic pros for the colder days off for fishing and such,will post results on them.
Any day I get to play with my auger is a good day!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Well, I have found something different. Most over the winter I wear merrill winter mocs. They are light comfortable and warm to single digits. They slip on and off good for home, work, around town. I bought some NEOS Navigator 5 overshoes with built in Gaitors. The slip right over the Merrills. When I lived in Montana I kept them in my truck. They are bulky and too big to fit in snowshoes but that is my only gripe. They are very warm and dry. I have walked thru water with them and when I drill ice Water splashes on them and no problems with water or cold. If anything did get through the NEOS AVIGATOR 5's the merrills have some type of breathable waterproof barrier. I never did stand in water to test that kind of waterproofness but they suit my needs better than anything else.
I have Sorrels and Lacross ice kings which I like but never wer ice fishing anymore because  like the flexibility of the NEOS/ Merill combo. Two seasons ago I put some machine screws in the bottom and I don't slip a inch go through hip deep snwdrifts nothing gets in. Can't wear them anywhere except on the ice or deep snow though!
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:50 PM »
I bought myself a pair of Muck Arctic Sports from LLBean. Got 15% off and I had a $50 gift card so I ended up paying less than $100 for a pair of $170 boots.

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Not for everyone but google NEOS Navigator 5 stabilicer just for fun
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #55 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Cabela's 15" 800-Gram Pinnacle™ Zippered Hunting Boots with GORE-TEX® Scent-Lok on sale now for $109.00 from $179.99
I've had these for three years and they have never leaked while hunting and ice fishing. I've walked thru 1 foot of water numerous times and they do keep your feet warm while standing for hours.
 Also no issues with the zipper even on below freezing temperatures after walking in slush.
MA

Offline FishingWorcester4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 24, 2012, 10:04 PM »
MM I have the same style boots, one mold of rubber with the pullout liner. Mine are made by kamik and I will never go back to any other style of boot for ice fishing. they are 100% waterproof as advertised.Got them for $40 at sears, I thought they wouldnt be too warm so I got them a size bigger so i can wear more thermal socks and it works.
Fishing....A jerk on one end and a jerk on the other.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 25, 2012, 01:36 AM »
Two words "Baffin titans " I got a pair last year for 110 $ and they protect your feet to -150 and are waterproof to the top look them up I used them up in NY last year and I was not prepared for sleeping out on the ice and the only thing on my body that was warm was my feet and it was about 10 out that night I had on many layers and a snow suit but after 20 min of trying to sleep I would wake up really cold but the Baffins kept my feet toasty !!!! You will be very happy with them if you get them I will never get another brand of boot for ice fishing for as long as I live 
Go big or go home

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:38 AM »
I just pulled the Muck boots out to wear hunting tomorrow. They are still perfect. I even used them with my waders over the summer surf fishing. The salt water had no effect on them either. Spent the extra few bucks and get the Mucks.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #59 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:29 AM »
I just pulled the Muck boots out to wear hunting tomorrow. They are still perfect. I even used them with my waders over the summer surf fishing. The salt water had no effect on them either. Spent the extra few bucks and get the Mucks.
Yes Bob , I believe the Mucks will be my choice . No offense to anyone and their footwear but I will never try Lacrosse after my fishing parters leaked and started faling apart . The Baffin just don't have many great reviews . The Muck seem to have many great reviews and test videos . I'm gonna try the Muck arctic pro extreme (I think thats what their called) But I will be walking in 12" of water for 30 minutes or longer before using them in real life ! If they leak !? Back they go !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.