New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: cheating at tourneys  (Read 4364 times)

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
Re: cheating at tourneys
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:53 PM »
way you finished  last season maybe  your team better  cheat
A-roids back so you can bet your arss we'll be cheating. It's the only way he can compete, and as a Yankee fan - I'd like to see some offense....
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Speaking both open and hard water...
I love to compete in tournaments/derbies....just my nature I guess...And I'll keep fishing them even though I know that there are guys out there who do cheat. Snipers.... Especially guys on some of the local gigs that I fish and are run by regular folks, who's buddy's always seem to do well.
Fishing those kind of competitions and placing or winning makes it all worth while.

If you want to compete in a legitimate tourney without cheating - you have to find and enter some of the professionally sanctioned shows...I'd say nearly all professional or aspiring professionals would be honest / and many of those shows have some sort of polygraph tests that guys are randomly selected/or have crews that go out and witness catching.
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:12 AM »
When we catch cheaters at the Northern Challenge we ban them from ANY club function until 10 years after they die!
Mike

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:18 AM »
Anyone running a tournament/derby that catches someone cheating should makeevery effort to get the names of the cheaters to as many outlets as possible. The only way to stop guys like that are to make them a total pariah in the community. Local papers, local tv news, NY Outdoor News etc.......... 
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:02 AM »
So far that video of the cheater has 62 thousand views. I think a lot of people know who it was now. I too would like to hear who his partner was. Heared rumor it was a pro staff member. Possibly one that got a five finger discount from 307 since he's "pro staff"

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:23 AM »
Not a fan of tourneys,thing that gets me is when 2 guys show up late to weigh in and only 1 guy enters fish and it's obvious the 2 guys were fishing together,so its obvious that 2 guys were combining there catch for 1 entrant, or does that not count as cheating  ??? :whistle: :nono:

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:44 AM »
Sad that these guys got to cheat at a fishing tournament/derby to make some money. I only fish a few of these derby's and  know there is going to be cheaters, but some derbies have 3 or more hourly winners, which give honest fisherman a chance to win something and beat the cheaters at their game. Biggest/heaviest  fish " win all" derbies, or top 3 fish win derbies are where a cheater can have the biggest impact on the honest guys.   
 I don't think there is a way to make these derbies "cheat proof"....but I like how that derby director went around checking and patrolling to catch the cheater.

Maybe catching a medium sized fish closest to a designated length/weight, to be announced at the morning start time, to win the grand prize  and the other prizes too. Then just a nice trophy for a monster fish ,or largest fish....might keep cheaters away from a derby set up like that.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:50 AM »
After reading about the guy in Vermont who got caught trying to cheat I was wondering what people's views were about it.       I don't do tournaments for that reason.     

i thought the reason you don't fish any more is the new woman??   :o
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Where is the video and how did the guy(s) cheat, have seen things like this in many finger lakes tourneys!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:23 AM »
I won't not fish tournaments / derbies just because theirs dirt bag cheaters out there but what I will do is  make those aware of cheaters that direct an event if theirs any doubt about the honesty of another angler ! 99 0/0 of these events are run cleanly and with good intentions , I cant hold it against the folks running a contest and not fish these events because their MIGHT be a cheater amongst the anglers ! All we can do is hope that if their is that their caught and dealt with in a professional manner as Jamie did in his VT contest ! If we let dishonesty control what we do then we all may as well stay in our homes and not go outside because its all around us in every aspect of life !

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:53 AM »
I won't not fish tournaments / derbies just because theirs dirt bag cheaters out there but what I will do is  make those aware of cheaters that direct an event if theirs any doubt about the honesty of another angler ! 99 0/0 of these events are run cleanly and with good intentions , I cant hold it against the folks running a contest and not fish these events because their MIGHT be a cheater amongst the anglers ! All we can do is hope that if their is that their caught and dealt with in a professional manner as Jamie did in his VT contest ! If we let dishonesty control what we do then we all may as well stay in our homes and not go outside because its all around us in every aspect of life !
x2

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:40 AM »
I was wondering about his friend that was with him.    His name?

The other guy wasn't in the area while this was happening, so therefore he wasn't named as a cheater.  He wasn't there the night of or the day after. He's just attached by association.  It wasn't the "self proclaimed pro staffer", like I thought.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:00 AM »
"Self proclaimed pro staffer"

Go on
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2015, 10:08 AM »
Not a fan of competitive fishing to begin with, unless it's for invasive species.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:40 PM »
And John  ( ship of fools)   it's thus stupid work thing killing my fishing time.    The new woman tells me to take Saturdays off to go
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:58 PM »
"Self proclaimed pro staffer"

Go on

Yeah just buy the jersey of your favorite brand, have your last name put on it and you become a "self proclaimed pro staffer"  then you get to show off on the ice and make people believe you earned it for being such a asset to the ice fishing community. It's terrible that guys get to do that and act like fools, giving the brand they supposedly represent a bad image. There's not much the rest of the legitimate pro staff can do about it except let others know the truth.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Cheaters don't deter me from fishing contests.  I enter contests to fish with friends and have a blast.  If someone wants to cheat to scam a few hundred bucks then thats on  them.  The thrill of a catching a legal placing fish and the good feeling that comes with that is what I pride.  One thing I don't like is when you catch multiple placing fish and hear jealous contestants muttering amongst themselves that you must have cheated.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2015, 09:49 AM »
I think contests put a hurting on lakes.  IMO they should all be "catch and release" to qualify.   It might also help prevent or limit cheating if this was the case, even if just a little.  I also think cheaters should be banned for life.   Finally, I understand those putting on contests are juggling more than they can handle already but i wish there was a way it could be policed better.  I've never been checked, but wouldn't mind the inspections to make sure everyone is playing by the rules.  That said, my priority is always just having a good time with friends.  Probably why I haven't placed  @)

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:13 PM »
i have been told that the pike derby at coles creek on the st lawrence river is catch and release only. this is put on by the walleye association up there and is a good cause. i noted one of the rules was you had to be in everyones view and i believe you had to be outside not in your shelter or shanty. has anyone on here ever fished their derbys? i was invited up for the feb pike one but had the flu.

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Yeah just buy the jersey of your favorite brand, have your last name put on it and you become a "self proclaimed pro staffer"  then you get to show off on the ice and make people believe you earned it for being such a asset to the ice fishing community. It's terrible that guys get to do that and act like fools, giving the brand they supposedly represent a bad image. There's not much the rest of the legitimate pro staff can do about it except let others know the truth.
realy he isn't pro?? The big wiggle is his name funny stuff if he is a imposter

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 09, 2015, 08:56 PM »
realy he isn't pro?? The big wiggle is his name funny stuff if he is a imposter

Not anymore.  Fortunately Clam has the integrity to look down upon illegal activities.  Unfortunately some individuals just don't care.
I love clipboard man

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 09, 2015, 09:57 PM »
i have been told that the pike derby at coles creek on the st lawrence river is catch and release only. this is put on by the walleye association up there and is a good cause. i noted one of the rules was you had to be in everyones view and i believe you had to be outside not in your shelter or shanty. has anyone on here ever fished their derbys? i was invited up for the feb pike one but had the flu.

you have to stay in the boundaries.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:55 PM »

There is no fishing allowed inside a shanty during the derby.....i have fished in all 9 of these events one of my friends won 2 nd place last hour this year....
Budweiser pro staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.