Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112490 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #180 on: Apr 10, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Hello, folks!

We're still continuing the development of the reverse kit, its release was delayed until the Fall. Sorry for that, but we're striving to make the product as good as theoretically possible.

Thank you Sergei. There are a few lucky guys on this discussion who did get the reversing models but a few others who will be wanting them when you do get them available. Put me first on your list.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Hello, folks!

We're still continuing the development of the reverse kit, its release was delayed until the Fall. Sorry for that, but we're striving to make the product as good as theoretically possible.
Will this reverse kit fit current Compact and standard models ?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #182 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:31 PM »
sweet! snowdog is part of our community now..im saving my money to hopefully have one this winter.im thinking a small model with reverse.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Apr 10, 2018, 03:39 PM »
I don't believe the compact models ever came with the reverse option. Sergei will be able to answer this question. As far as the Standard 13 HP models, there were just 2 this year, and the only difference between the B13 ME that I have and the B13 MER was the reversing option. Very few of the MER models ever made it this far east for this season. I am not sure if the dealers just did not order them with reverse or the manufacturer just did not make that many with reverse that came to the US.

Yes it is nice to see Snowdog log in here and from all of my contacts with Sergei and Vladimir I must say they have been top notch with providing me with info and updates. Rather refreshing actually!

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #184 on: Apr 11, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Pretty cool to have the company reps on here now. Great opportunity for growing this machine's ice fishing potential. I have a compact that I bought new this February, but it must be one of the first models made as it doesn't look anything like the ones on the website or that people showed on here. Still performs great, we're supposed to get about 2 feet of snow this weekend, should be the dog's last snow ride this winter.....I won't go out on a lake anymore as it is a little too dangerous for my liking plus the fish have basically stopped biting by now.....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Pretty cool to have the company reps on here now. Great opportunity for growing this machine's ice fishing potential. I have a compact that I bought new this February, but it must be one of the first models made as it doesn't look anything like the ones on the website or that people showed on here. Still performs great, we're supposed to get about 2 feet of snow this weekend, should be the dog's last snow ride this winter.....I won't go out on a lake anymore as it is a little too dangerous for my liking plus the fish have basically stopped biting by now.....

I would love to see a picture of your dog mboss. We don't know where you are located and I keep saying this is the first year for Snowdog in the US but I could certainly be wrong on that. It is however the first year we have ever been able to buy them here in NY. I have seen both the compact and standard models with different outer dresses. Some are black and others are snowy camo but I think under the covers pretty much all the same depending on the model.

Now as far as your last point, "the fish quit biting", I  hope you are right. Our open water trout season started on April 1st and most of the lakes have some or all open water. I have not caught a damn fish yet and have fished every day the weather cooperated. Between snow, rain and crazy winds I have been out but only saw one guy with a fish so far. Basically I've just been drowning bait fish other than a few SM Bass that are out of season.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:47 PM »

Here is the unit I got. Looks different than the ones on the dog site.

Notice my drive chain is on the left side...on their website the compact 10hp ones have the drive chain on the right.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:48 AM »
I have noticed the different sides for the drive chain and just thought all the compact models were on the left and the standard larger models were on the right. I do like that your cover left open the grab spots toward the front where mine has those spots completely closed. I installed grab handles on each side of the front on the cross brace the light is affixed to because with cold hands in gloves it had no place to yank it around on the trailer. In some of the videos I have seen from Russian models there does appear to be a few different models we don't get here. I think in Russia these have been on the market a while but only here in the US for a year or two so far.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #188 on: Apr 13, 2018, 06:13 AM »
I agree, I think there must be several models out there. Ultimately they all seem to be only minor variations and the engines are the same. I got a really nice deal on my unit. We are getting up to 2 feet of snow this weekend so I hope to take it for a spin Sunday.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Apr 13, 2018, 06:45 AM »
I agree, I think there must be several models out there. Ultimately they all seem to be only minor variations and the engines are the same. I got a really nice deal on my unit. We are getting up to 2 feet of snow this weekend so I hope to take it for a spin Sunday.

After seeing the pulling power of my 13 HP model I am very sure I could have been fine with either of the compact 7 or 10 HP models like yours. With just a light coat of snow on the ice these dogs dig right in and can pull an amazing amount of weight with little effort. I think in deeper snow the bigger engine might be a bit stronger if pulling heavy loads but I rarely ever have deep snow on the lakes here. Slush is the only condition I have not yet been in so I can't comment on the dogs performance in it.

I now have a 2 wheel sulky to tow behind the Snowdog and am setting it up to tow my kayak on a wheeled trailer much the same as towing my shanty sleds. We have a real nice fishing lake about a mile into the woods from the parking area I hope to tow the kayak back to. Not yet sure if being on wheels will work good or get me into a wag the tail condition but spring should arrive here in the next few weeks and I will be trying it out. It does pull the sulky great but I have to wonder how the trailer with kayak might track behind it.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #190 on: Apr 13, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Are you all making your own cargo trailers for these or buying the ones from snowdog....they seem a little on the pricey side, especially compared to a full trailer from say harbor freight.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Apr 13, 2018, 11:10 AM »
It seems to me that the compact would be more maneuverable than the standard unit I have - both from length and from a weight perspective.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Apr 13, 2018, 01:16 PM »
For a cargo trailer I have a 4 wheel dump cart that can hold over 1,000 pounds and hooks right up. No seat though so it has to go behind either the sled or a sulky. I picked up an old Gravely lawn tractor sulky and for under $100 I have it all hooked up to drag either the cargo trailer or my kayak on a wheel cart.

I just finished hooking up a small ATV winch I got from Harbor Freight for $50 and I rigged it for both front and rear operation. I would suspect the compacts are a little easier to maneuver but doubt it makes that much difference.

Gam

Offline SnowDog company

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Apr 17, 2018, 07:15 AM »
Will this reverse kit fit current Compact and standard models ?

Hello!

It will fit both Standard 13 and Compact 13. Kits for the other models may be developed later.

P.S. It's really good to be here, guys. Hope my answers will be of help to you! Thank you, Gamalot, for telling us about this forum.
Best regards!
SnowDog client department

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Looking on the Snowdog web site at the various models I think the pictures do not show the actual models accurately. My B13 ME-WR Standard has the chain drive on the right side of the machine under the headlight. On the site it shows the B13ME Standard with the chain on the other side. So far I have only ever seen the 13.5 HP models and they all have the chain drive on the right under the headlight both Compact and Standard models. I think the smaller engine 7 and 10 HP models have the chain drive on the left side and not under the light.

This might be the reason why the reverse kit being designed now will only work on the 13.5 HP models. For the models that have the chain drive on the left side the reverse kit would have to be completely different as best as I can tell.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #195 on: Apr 17, 2018, 11:11 AM »
As pictured my is on the left side. I would be interested in the reverse kit if it is actually an easy add on. Hope they make it for the compact 10, and then there is the question of what model year it is as they aren't very transparent about that right now obviously.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Apr 17, 2018, 11:19 AM »
As pictured my is on the left side. I would be interested in the reverse kit if it is actually an easy add on. Hope they make it for the compact 10, and then there is the question of what model year it is as they aren't very transparent about that right now obviously.

Just a guess here but I suspect all the Snowdogs we have now are all built in 2017 although the sales brochure I got with mine says 2018. I bought mine in November of 2017 but it is common for companies to build their next years units in the previous year. If it was built in say August of 2017 it sure could be a 2018 year model.

Gam 

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Apr 18, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Just a guess here but I suspect all the Snowdogs we have now are all built in 2017 although the sales brochure I got with mine says 2018. I bought mine in November of 2017 but it is common for companies to build their next years units in the previous year. If it was built in say August of 2017 it sure could be a 2018 year model.

Gam

I bought my from a dealer who claimed to have it for a while and used it as a display unit at many of the fishing, hunting, camping shows so it had 15 hours already on it but was sold to me as new for warranty purposes. I do believe my is one of the first units brought to the states.....

Offline plumber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #198 on: Sep 19, 2018, 06:20 PM »
 im looking at buying a standard snow dog ,i will be using it for rabbit hunting back in to state lands where my truck would get stuck on unmaintained roads from winter snow, i will be hauling a dog box with 5 dogs and all my gear all i would say app. 300 lb. i would really like one of these units but cant seem to pull the trigger on it ..done a lot of research and video and love the idea but afraid of buyers remorse.... i think it will do the same as a sled but not sure any advice from any owners would be appreciated.. thanks

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #199 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:57 PM »
As an owner of one of the first ones here in NY i will give only my opinion. I have the 13.5 HP model and really only use it for ice fishing and pulling my gear, sometime quite a massive load. It does fabulous with a coat of snow on the ice and if you add the studs it does just as well on glare ice.  Out on a lake with lots of room the steering is not an issue at all but I think in the woods on tight trails it could be a good work out. The machine itself is a bit top heavy so if you get on a tilted slope it sure could end up on it's side if you don't horse it through. Traction on earth will never be an issue and on a few inches of snow it sure will go. Even with a foot of snow would be no problem but I would look for flat trails in those conditions. I have a small ATV winch I carry just in case I do get tipped or stuck and it was around $50 at Harbor Freight. If I was towing a dog box behind it I would be sitting or standing on the box and not doing a 3 point drag in tight trails, machine, sled and box all separate. I will use mine this deer season if I get a good buck but the deer will be in the sled with me and not dragged behind the sled. Crossing deep mud might be an issue if it bogs down but the winch will get me out. You will not have problems dragging a heavy load as long as you have solid earth under you and blast through lose stuff. It has plenty of power but it sure could dig a hole if the load is too heavy and the ground is lose. Out on the ice these are a dream come true and going through fields or on old wood roads is great. Not so great on a single track motorcycle trail unless you have the upper body strength to horse the machine around. I would not recommend buying one that does not have the reverse option on it. I will complain until the cows come home about mine that lacks reverse option and even slam them if they do not come up with the promised add on reversing unit. IMO they should not even sell them without reverse unless you want the smaller and much lighter weight compact model. 3 point turns are pretty common on these and pretty damn hard if you can't flip a switch and back up. Mine is ready and raring to go and I hooked up an old Gravely sit on sulky with wheels for the hunting season. It won't be a go fast unit anywhere but much faster at top speed on flat ground than any of us need to go, actually pretty scary fast on bare or snow covered ice. On a scale or 1-10 I give it a solid 8 and will go to 10 if they get me the reverse gearing they said was in the works last winter. It is a little tank and will go just about anywhere any snowmobile will go in up to a foot of snow or more depending on the snow pack conditions. Remember it has no skis out front to float it but it does have all the weight directly over the track to dig it down and plenty of power to push through. I was impressed to no ends out on a snow covered lake with what this tow motor could easily drag behind it. Glare ice was an issue until I added Ice Kutter studs to the track which made it nearly unstoppable. Hope this helps.

Gam

Offline plumber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:08 AM »
thanks for your response gam.. it will be seasonal logging trails i will be using most of the time and i made a custom dog box on an xl sled that is lo profile so its not top heavy with a seat for me also, up 2- 20 mph is perfect i dont want fast i want safety and a machine that will do the work to get us in and out time and again. i see for ice fishing these are a very valuable tool of transportation and work horse... i think it will be the same for hunters and trappers as well but must know limitations.. if they had a 30 day trial i would not hesitate to get one ha ha so theirs a challenge snow dog im call you out. you would get a very honest review from me...        thanks, plumber

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:47 AM »
thanks for your response gam.. it will be seasonal logging trails i will be using most of the time and i made a custom dog box on an xl sled that is lo profile so its not top heavy with a seat for me also, up 2- 20 mph is perfect i dont want fast i want safety and a machine that will do the work to get us in and out time and again. i see for ice fishing these are a very valuable tool of transportation and work horse... i think it will be the same for hunters and trappers as well but must know limitations.. if they had a 30 day trial i would not hesitate to get one ha ha so theirs a challenge snow dog im call you out. you would get a very honest review from me...        thanks, plumber

There are numerous reviews and videos posted on Youtube on the Snowdog. Most are very positive reviews and a few negative ones from owners who likely took them where they don't belong. I have a number of old logging roads here and it works great on them. Smaller trails off the logging roads are a lot more challenging and I don't go too far off the roads with the dog. I would not go too far off these same roads with a snowmobile either just because they get too tight and steep with very little room to turn around. You will be fine once you learn the machines and your limitations. As far as dragging 200-300 pounds I think no issues at all as long as the ground allows traction. Just avoid slick mud pits because you will get trashed.

Gam

Offline plumber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Sep 24, 2018, 04:29 PM »
 called snow dog today and they said they sold out to power distributor? not sure what that means but im still planning on a purchase.. they sell them in my town currently and they service them also so that is a plus here, i thank everyone for their posts and information to help the undecided and answer questions that a salesman wouldnt know and an owner would.                       plumber                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #203 on: Sep 24, 2018, 04:53 PM »

I saw 1 at all seasons power sports in lowville ny Rt 12

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:24 PM »
called snow dog today and they said they sold out to power distributor? not sure what that means but im still planning on a purchase.. they sell them in my town currently and they service them also so that is a plus here, i thank everyone for their posts and information to help the undecided and answer questions that a salesman wouldnt know and an owner would.                       plumber                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

I just reached out for my contact at Snowdog and should get a response in a day or two. These machines and the Snowdog name originate in Russia but were made here I believe in Milwaukee, WI. Not surprising that they could transfer ownership to a US company front given all the good vibes between Russia these past months regarding tariffs. I would think if you want a machine it might be a good idea to spring for one that is already here and came before the tariffs kicked in. Who can really say what the end result will be with fledgling companies such as this with all the turmoil in our world right now. I certainly do support what our President is trying to do but that does not protect us from the fall out. Weather or not Snowdog will be a one or two year wonder is something worth considering until we know what direction these machines will go in. My contacts were signed in here as members but I just don't know much more than that today. I will be the first to slam them if they drop the ball on getting us the reversing kit they promised back last winter which was promised to become available in May of 2018.

Gam

Offline plumber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Sep 25, 2018, 03:32 AM »
              i plan to use a cargo carrier unit to haul my snow dog and have seen video of this and some posts .. but dont list a model they use ? i will make a salt shield for protection and also load the unit in its own sled ..(the standard will fit in the sled they say) my question to all is what cargo carrier is recommended ? their is alot that say rated at 500 lb but the reviews say their not .im looking at a 24 x 60 curt.. any input or recommendation of model capable with no problem...                      plumber

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Sep 25, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I will be the first to slam them if they drop the ball on getting us the reversing kit they promised back last winter which was promised to become available in May of 2018.

Thanks Gam, I will be the second.

Gunflint
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #207 on: Sep 28, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Gam,

Did you see this? This looks like our missing "Reverse Kit" that we have been longing for.

https://snowdog.com/parts/item/211

Di you think it would it work for us?

I just put a call into my dealer for more info.

Gunflint
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Oct 02, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Gam,

Did you see this? This looks like our missing "Reverse Kit" that we have been longing for.

https://snowdog.com/parts/item/211

Di you think it would it work for us?

I just put a call into my dealer for more info.

Gunflint

Yup, That is the new reverse system and I hope they get it here soon. I just posted the National Weather Service Long Range prediction for my area and here is what they say.

LONG RANGE WINTER WEATHER FORECAST: DECEMBER 1, 2018 TO
MARCH 31, 2019.
Headline: Above normal Snowfall for the winter. And
temperatures will average slightly below normal.
Look for our first cold air outbreak early this season, around MID OCTOBER.
Also, we are forecasting an early start to winter in terms of the odds of snowfall.
Watch for something as early as late October to mid November then more
significant “events” later November and December.
January will have it’s usual “January thaw” but not last too long. Still above
normal snowfall in January. February and March look to be closer to normal
temperatures with February above normal snowfall and March near normal
snowfall.
More specifically, we are forecasting snow totals this winter to be 35% to 55%
above normal totals! Temperatures will average 1 to 3 degrees below normal
with some periods of excessively cold air.
Thank you

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Oct 03, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Reading their post on Facebook, it looks like they just changed the company that does their US distribution to Power Distributors. It didn't really sound like they sold out, just changed how they will distribute to the dealers. Also, they use a Briggs and Stratton motor, (US designed, available worldwide) but the machine is still imported from Russia.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.