Author Topic: Chumming for Perch?  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Crappie MAster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch More and Bigger Fish Through the Ice!!
Chumming for Perch?
« on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:22 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has successfully chummed for perch in some way?  I have been making up several different frozen blocks of chum including shredded tuna, canned baby shrimp, ground minnows, and even commercial fish feed.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I am going to put the small chum blocks into those mesh bags oranges come in, then attaching a rope and weight so I can lower it down an adjacent hole, and try to keep a school in the area....Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.....I'll watch what happens on the Aqua-Vu...
El Loco

I practice catch & release in freshwater and fillet & release in saltwater.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Re: Chumming for Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2005, 10:57 PM »
A good cheap way for chumming is using canned cat food.The cheap ones of course. I have also used this in my tip up holes fishing for northern.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2005, 03:57 PM »
some lakes its illegal to chum some guys use oatmeal  or egg shells it also makes the bottom of your hole nice and light so when spot fishing u can see the fish easier
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 11:23 AM »
Donut holes
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline mario302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:42 PM »
some lakes its illegal to chum some guys use oatmeal  or egg shells it also makes the bottom of your hole nice and light so when spot fishing u can see the fish easier

Try using rice, same effect...........

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 03:13 PM »
I would like to know has anyone used one or a different techniques and had some success...
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Try using scales off some of the fish that you catch. They
flash while sinking and they have "fish flavor" if they are
taste tested. No kidding, I have used them many times and
they do not always work, but it only takes a few seconds
to scale a couple fish and put them down the hole. I
believe it has made a difference for me at times.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2005, 03:52 PM »
IMHO this is littering in a way. I like doing things the hard way and this does'nt mean you have to also, but it just seems you would be better off moving to the fish instead of trying to draw them in, I think you'll see much better results. I don't chum because I am far to impatient to sit and wait for fish and personally I feel it's unsportsmanlike. Please check your local reg's first.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2005, 07:19 PM »
IMHO this is littering in a way. I like doing things the hard way and this does'nt mean you have to also, but it just seems you would be better off moving to the fish instead of trying to draw them in, I think you'll see much better results. I don't chum because I am far to impatient to sit and wait for fish and personally I feel it's unsportsmanlike. Please check your local reg's first.

-Scott
...I would agree 100% with this one......the curious and inactive fish are just aroused enough to dink around with whatever you are presenting....chumming just confuses them more......move for the active perch.....sooner or later, you can hit the jackpot......Grump

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:43 PM »
I think this toppic comes up every year,  and everone has a different opinion.  I personally tired  the cat food can trick and the frozen block of chum with no good results.  Perhpas,  if I gave it have a do to work,  but who has time.  Just like Scott said,  better off to keep moving and looking for active fish.  I'm also inpatient but also very lazy and don't like to be messing around with scaling fish and getting my hands wet unless I have to.             J.

Offline double trouble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2005, 07:09 PM »
you don't have to believe me but frozen brine shrimp from the tropical fish store work like a charm for chum. you can watch the perch rush in to feast on them too.just be ready.
When the game is over Both the king and pawn both go back in the same box.

Offline BillP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2006, 09:32 PM »
Cat food sounds good
Fishing + Hunting + guitar = MY LIFE!!!!!

Fish on
Bill

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2006, 07:00 PM »
I've heard of some guys bringing along a can of corn, opening it and dumping the contents, they say it draws them in......
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:43 PM »
IF your like me and half retarded for wasting half your 1000 spikes and watching them turn into the hard shelled bugs because your woman said thats not staying in the fridge! I take those dead/caddis ones and toss um down the hole after I drill it- then I move 10 feet drill another hole and do it again. I come back and jig each hole for 1-2mins AKA like 10 jigging sessions that last like 2-5seconds each. I dont real up that whole time. Once you find the hot hole the fish will bite on every drop until it takes you 2 mins to rebait and then all the shum is consumed and your screwed. Its hit or miss and I dont suggest doing more then 5 holes at once. I wasnt gettin smack friday and tryed jiggin all holes before chumming and got NADA- I chummed up 5 holes then drilled three more - I chummed the last three as I went along and then hit the second one I had chummed before the three hole and I found active 10-12in perch and caught 5 before I couldnt find my bait and missed out on the bite- moved around some mroe and found another school in one of my other holes.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2006, 08:45 PM »
The corn thing works way better on trout than on perch.  I'd have to agree with
Scott on this one.  Schools of perch move in and out and rarely stay under your hole
long enough for you to catch a limit without hole hopping.  One trick I've used to
keep them interested longer is to suspend a mason jar with a scoop of minnows in it.
I've watched a lot of perch over the years and have yet to see them flock to chum
like aquarium fish.  Most chum just falls to the bottom.  The only thing that I feed them has a hook attached. 

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2006, 12:35 AM »
want a sure winner- here it is-  I catch fresh water shrimp in dugouts in december-  when the ice gets 10 inches, i cut a two foot hole in the ice.  The next day I reopen the hole and run a minnow net under the ice arround the hole.  I place these shrimp on a cookie sheet and let them bake in the sun. As they dry out they turn red.  Then I fill a glass halg full, drop a s,all rock in, and some shrimp.  Then place in the middle of a freezer or outside if cold enough.  Then pop the "shrimp cube" out and take with.  Now if you are finding the fish and arent really active, thats when I drop it down.  As the cube melts, the dried shrimp rise slowly.  The perch HAVE to be around for this to work, all it takes is one to eat some, and then they're there like hot cakes.  Krazy to see on the camera- run a marmooska with red tip, or a red shrimp fly, and let the good times roll.
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.