Author Topic: Jigging rapalas for perch  (Read 7737 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Jigging rapalas for perch
« on: Dec 21, 2004, 01:12 PM »
I am going fishing on sunday to a lake that has bunches of smaller perch, avg. 7-8", but you have to wade through them to get to the bigger ones. Does a jigging rap, like a #2, work well for bigger perch? What ways do perch like jigging raps presented?
Thanks for any help in advance.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Jigging rapalas for perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:08 PM »
I encounter a few situations like you stated, and i'll either use a #2 jigging rap in perch color, or a small cicada or zip lure (blade bait)

I fish the rap by working it just above the perch with a quivering motion, and i try to get them to follow up about a foot, at which point they usually hit it (very light tap) - i tip the rap with a few spikes

i fish a bladebait within a foot of the bottom, and i rip the lure up about 1' and then drop it back down on semi-slack line - they usually slam the lure hard - its also important not to tip small bladebaits, as it ruins their action

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:29 AM »
I just added mor raps to my box after watching perch on my aqua view .Iwas using a genz worm and had alot of decent fish come up and bite on the head,I figure with the hook on the nose and tail I will get more hook ups with the rap.Besides gander mountain had some nice colors in the small size that I couldn't resist there goes the Christmas gift certificate! :tipup:
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:21 PM »
 Sometimes i think its a good way to weed out the small ones and the big ones, i have had times where every time i'd drop my line down the hole it would instantly have a perch on, all small with an occasional big one, switched to a jigging rap and the action slowed but the size was much much better.
Jason

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2005, 05:23 AM »
Sometimes i think its a good way to weed out the small ones and the big ones, i have had times where every time i'd drop my line down the hole it would instantly have a perch on, all small with an occasional big one, switched to a jigging rap and the action slowed but the size was much much better.

Makes sense to me. I've caught an occasional slob perch while jigging for walleye with a Rap.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Well, I've got a great idea for a situation like this, but it isn't a jigging rap.(since it's my thread it is okay for me to hijack it ;D) Have you guys ever seen those 1/6 oz. buckshot rattle spoons? These things have wonderful action and I think they would make the smaller perch shy away, and I think the bigger perch would like these quite a bit. Of course, I have no proof of this yet, but next time I go to crawford i will check it out.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

bib brother

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:53 PM »
loog down the list, there is a thread on buckshot rattlers :)

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2005, 08:22 PM »
I like a Hali jig for bigger perch.  When I was catching dinks like you said I switched to a jigging rapala and still had to pick through to get the bigger fish.

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2005, 09:14 AM »
jigging raps work but u must heavily bait them put a peice of minnow on every hook, sometimes jsut a good old mousie and micro jig gets the big guys too.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline Rigg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2005, 11:39 AM »
In my area of Central New York, it has been my experience that a Nils jigging lure outfishes the rapala in size and quantity.  It is my number one go to lure.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2005, 11:43 AM »
The 1/10 Jig a whopper hawger glow spoon works great for bigger perch and eyes.

Offline BROWNSLAYER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2005, 01:06 PM »
Try Salmo's Chubby Darter.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2005, 10:06 AM »
Nils version is a better one to fish. I have both but the nils are much better but harder to find.And the hook set up on the nils is much easier to remove the fish. My favorite nils is the green back,white belly,red swim fin,and orange throat. ;)
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2005, 04:02 PM »
A small perch like color rap is all I use for perch. A lot of times I do not use bait. Yesterday I caught countless perch using my favourite lure.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

The Guy

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2005, 09:43 PM »
When using the Jigging Rap in size #2 you still get the little ones !! but i still prefer that size, however if your like the get different sizes alot of time if your using a size 2 swtich to a 5 and you will targe3t bigger fish! and instead of tipping it with spikes minnows etc. just put a jenson egg on one of the bottom trebel hooks! i prefer the color red but green and orange sometimes work too, use a size 020 jenson egg and you will never yous live bait again! The jeson Egg works great on swedish pimples, halis, and chubby darters too! !  ;D

hali-man

« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2005, 05:14 AM »
What is a jenson egg?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Aren't they those fake eggs with a curly tail? They probably look like a perch eye.. :D

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2005, 07:46 AM »

Offline holota018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2005, 01:36 PM »
what are some tips to make the rapala swim good and show a good presentation
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Offline Technofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:08 PM »
what are some tips to make the rapala swim good and show a good presentation
I like a quick clip to connect the lure.  The quick clip gives a better "quiver" than tying directly to the lure.  Keeping the lure balanced with even distribution of perch eyes, minnow heads, etc. helps keep the lure "on plane" during the fall.  A semi-slack line also helps keep it in check. IMO

Offline Wa113y1c3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • why am i in school should be icefishin
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2006, 02:58 PM »
i was jigging the other day on toga brought about ten perch and half of they i guess were feeding on bluegills the size of a number two rapalas caught one and i still had a baby gill in it mouth  :tipup:
1 dollars for bait for the big fish of the day priceless!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.