Author Topic: wiper blades-this works!  (Read 5134 times)

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
wiper blades-this works!
« on: Oct 03, 2008, 02:05 PM »
facing a 3 hour drive befor dawn in a downpour last weekend, i remembered my wiper blades were shot- i only remember when its raining- and the auto store was closed.
i had an idea i'd been considering for some time.
i got a new green scotchbrite scrubbie and scrubbed along the length of the blades, removing all of the oxidized, weather-checked old rubber, getting down to some fresh meat.
this worked like a champ!
the blades work as well as brand new.
i'm sure i can do this several more times before needing new blades.
try it- it works!
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: wiper blades-this works!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2008, 06:26 AM »
good advice...thanks, I will try it today b/c my truck is in need of new blades.....

Offline Fishalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:12 AM »
 That's funny I was just thinking ,there must be something I could do to tune mine up .I'll give it a try.
Let the little one\\\\\\\'s grow

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2008, 02:21 PM »
I do something similiar:

When I wash my windshield, I take a a paper towel dipped in washer fluid and run it down each side of the wiper blade.  Sure seems to make the blades last longer. 

Offline BUSSWAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I WOULD RATHER WINTER UP NORTH!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2008, 03:05 PM »
I bought a new truck this year so the blades are only a few months old. But I will switch to the ANCO winter blades once the snow starts. They have that rubber wrapped around all the hinged joints and from my experience, will stand up through the worst of winter blizzards. There is nothing worse that trying to clean your windshield in a storm with a blade that is falling apart and will not hold up to the elements. I too do a cleaning of the blades when I wash the truck but I have never considered the use of scotchbrite. It makes sense and I think I might try it.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2008, 04:20 AM »
Rain X Wiper Blades

I bought a pair of these for my pickup when they came out. They work really well. I'v used Rain X on my windows for many years. The stuff is great. Driving in a pouring rain at 45mph, you don't even need wipers. The water flies off the glass.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2008, 01:01 PM »
i run the winter blades as well. the ice knocks right off from them
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2008, 06:02 PM »
i spray some silicon spray on a paper towel or rag and wipe it on my wipers seems to work good for me keeps the rubber like new.  plus if you load it on real thick then run your wipers its like rain-x.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:09 PM »
I take an alcohal wipe and rub the wiper blade a few times till it takes the old rubber off just try it you will be amazed

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2008, 04:18 AM »
I bought a new truck this year so the blades are only a few months old. But I will switch to the ANCO winter blades once the snow starts. They have that rubber wrapped around all the hinged joints and from my experience, will stand up through the worst of winter blizzards. There is nothing worse that trying to clean your windshield in a storm with a blade that is falling apart and will not hold up to the elements. I too do a cleaning of the blades when I wash the truck but I have never considered the use of scotchbrite. It makes sense and I think I might try it.
Worked as a Mechanic for the Montana Dept. of Trans. for over 30 years and that is all they have ever used on their trucks.
I just do`nt know how they can possibly get along without My precence now that i`m not there anymore. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:04 PM »
Worked as a Mechanic for the Montana Dept. of Trans. for over 30 years and that is all they have ever used on their trucks.
I just do`nt know how they can possibly get along without My precence now that i`m not there anymore. ;D
I'm still trying to figure out why the phone company that I worked for is still going since I retired.   ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:06 PM »
I had some wiper blades installed that have a lifetime warranty. If they go bad I will stop in and have a new pair installed free.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.