Author Topic: 1996 skidoo formula III 600  (Read 29692 times)

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1996 skidoo formula III 600
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2008, 11:41 AM »
I agree with stumper, a bit of running time should free it up a bit, usually some oxidation builds up in the clutch over the summer and can cause the bushing to stick a bit. All Ski-doo's with a liquid cooled engine (and some bigger fan cooled sleds) have the TRA clutch, there are 3 adjustment bolts on the outer cover. They're usually a yellow color, and have the bolt head sunk down into a hex shaped recess in the clutch. you'll see a line on the bolt head, and the numbers 1-6 around the bolt head, moulded into the aluminum of the clutch cover. Make sure all bolts have the line pointing at the same number, otherwise you can do some serious damage to the clutch. You can use these to adjust the clutch's operating range up or down in 100 RPM increments. While you're there, shine a flashlight into the grooves on either side of the ridge that the bolts pass through. On either side, you should see a black, graphite "puck" with a wear groove running through them, if you can't see the groove anymore, it's time to change them out. They're cheap, and you can usually change them without pulling the whole clutch. 
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:57 PM »
I agree with stumper, a bit of running time should free it up a bit, usually some oxidation builds up in the clutch over the summer and can cause the bushing to stick a bit. All Ski-doo's with a liquid cooled engine (and some bigger fan cooled sleds) have the TRA clutch, there are 3 adjustment bolts on the outer cover. They're usually a yellow color, and have the bolt head sunk down into a hex shaped recess in the clutch. you'll see a line on the bolt head, and the numbers 1-6 around the bolt head, moulded into the aluminum of the clutch cover. Make sure all bolts have the line pointing at the same number, otherwise you can do some serious damage to the clutch. You can use these to adjust the clutch's operating range up or down in 100 RPM increments. While you're there, shine a flashlight into the grooves on either side of the ridge that the bolts pass through. On either side, you should see a black, graphite "puck" with a wear groove running through them, if you can't see the groove anymore, it's time to change them out. They're cheap, and you can usually change them without pulling the whole clutch. 

x2 this boy knows his stuff!
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Well have you had a chance to try it out?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:31 PM »
hey guys... question for you... what's the easiest way to install a heated visor plug on this sled?? I don't want to tap into the lights ( was warned against it.) . Dealer doesn't have a kit for it. Just wondering how you guys did it. Thanks!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:43 AM »
Well have you had a chance to try it out?
just around the yard so far   not enough snow  and trails havent even been started yet   as of yet  the procrastinator in me hasnt put the studs in yet  bought em  decided on the pattern  but just havent done it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:58 AM »
just around the yard so far   not enough snow  and trails havent even been started yet   as of yet  the procrastinator in me hasnt put the studs in yet  bought em  decided on the pattern  but just havent done it

I completly understand, I seam to be full of procrastination this yr.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:38 PM »
   Anybody know anything about these? 
yun the synthetic injector oil smells really good when it burns sorta like flowers but mor manly! great machine!!!!!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Well, the snow is getting to deep here for the wheeler. Looks like Im picking up a 97 FIII 600 tommorow.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:32 PM »
x2 this boy knows his stuff!

Thanks! My dad had me reading shop manuals when I was just a wee guy, now I've retained all this (sometimes) useless info!

hey guys... question for you... what's the easiest way to install a heated visor plug on this sled?? I don't want to tap into the lights ( was warned against it.) . Dealer doesn't have a kit for it. Just wondering how you guys did it. Thanks!!

We'd always tie the heated visor into the hot-grip/thumb warmer system, but I can't remember what part of the system that tied into (ours were never factory installed). Can't see any reason not to tie into the lighting system, just make sure you solder and tape/shrink wrap all connections well so you don't get a corroded wire and loose the lights in the dark. Then I'd run the wire up inside the handlebar pad and out on either the brake or throttle side with a short end poking out and taped down securely, depends on what side of the visor the other plug is. Quick trick for anyone who needs to change from a male to female, or just replace a plug (if you fell off the sled for example  :-[) they're just a plain old RCA plug, like you find on the back of your TV and DVD player. Go into any home electronics shop and they sell just the ends that you can solder onto the wires. Add a bit of shrink wrap or tape for waterproofing and you're good to go!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:33 PM »
havent seen it cold enough to have a heated visor!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Man its been a LONG time since I have been on a sled this fast,LOL. My poor yard is gonna have bare spots in the spring....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:48 PM »
if it didnt have reverse and electric start Id trade it   too big fast and heavy for me ;(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.