Author Topic: Walleye on tip ups  (Read 6815 times)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye on tip ups
« on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I am going to try using a tip up outside my flip over for walleye.  I have 30# tip up line on and plan on using a mono line below it.  What do you guys put on for hook, plain hook, treble hook, jig, or spoon?  I was going to try a plain single hook with a bead slid down to the hook.  What is everyone's go to for tip ups on walleye.  Thanks

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Walleye on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Crappie rigs with minnows.   Have caught two walleye at once several times

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:48 PM »
I will try one with the crappie rig and see how it goes.  And maybe one with a glow treble hook. 

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Id go with flouro instead of mono... Better against abrasion resistance.... ESPECIALLY if there are northerns in said body of water
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:04 PM »
For 'eyes I run  fluoro leader but mono will be fine. In # test for walleye fluoro is only marginally better than mono against sharp pike teeth. If your focus is 'eyes accept the occasional bite (not break) off. I like at least one bead and sometimes as many as four. There's always one glow bead with an orange or chartreuse on each side or a combo of the two. Haven't found red hooks to be any real advantage. A single short shank wide gap #10 or #12 treble on the business end.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:08 PM »
For 'eyes I run  fluoro leader but mono will be fine. In # test for walleye fluoro is only marginally better than mono against sharp pike teeth. If your focus is 'eyes accept the occasional bite (not break) off. I like at least one bead and sometimes as many as four. There's always one glow bead with an orange or chartreuse on each side or a combo of the two. Haven't found red hooks to be any real advantage. A single short shank wide gap #10 or #12 treble on the business end.

Is there a link somewhere that describes how to make the leader rigs you’re describing for walleye? Thank you

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Is there a link somewhere that describes how to make the leader rigs you’re describing for walleye? Thank you

No link I know of but here's how I do it. Cut your leader line to length leaving enough to tie your knots and trim the tag. Tie the swivel on first, slide on your bead(s) then tie the hook. Trim tags and go catch fish! I use either 4 or 6mm beads depending on if the water is clear or not and the target fish are big or small. Dirty water for walleyes the 6mm work great. For pike too  ;)2.

My usual pattern is color/glow/color. Sometimes color/color/glow/color/. I keep white, pink, chartreuse, green, orange, blue and glow. Most often I'm fishing org/glow/org or org/glow/cht for my dark water 'eyes. Clear water might see me playing more with color or just fishing plain. Depends on what's shakin'.

Here's a couple:

20# uncoated wire (for pike), #10 hook, top rig 4mm, bottom is two 6mm and a 5mm glow (I ran out of 6mm glow). If I'm fishing dirty water and on the lazy side I fish these for walleyes too. If eyes are the primary target I use 6 -8# fluoro.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Hey, thanks for the insight and picture!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I use a 8lb mono leader to a single colored hook with a glow bead above it, hold it down with the lightest split shot I can use based on the minnow/shiner size and current in the water

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:28 PM »
I'm in the minority, I use thin red wire leaders, small treble. Right off the tip up main line. Buddies I fish with use a few different set ups, flouro etc. Never a difference in hookups when we go really. And pike don't bite me off.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:26 PM »
What kind of weights do you all use, and where do you attach them to the rig?

Offline markus6898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:39 PM »
Interested what you guys mean by crappie rig?
Thanks,
Mark

Offline markus6898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Thanks! I have used something very similar surf fishing.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I use them for all kinds of fish.... Dont ever catch crappie though lol.... Thats the best sucker fishing rig ever made

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I use them for all kinds of fish.... Dont ever catch crappie though lol....
I haven’t caught crappie on one either. It’s a good rig for perch fishing in deeper water, in summer and fall. I’ve tried them through the ice and didn’t think they outperformed my ice jigs. I should try a crappie rig on a tip up with minnows and see what I get; with a smaller tip up and size 6 or 8 hooks, I’m sure it will work for perch. I never would think to try it for walleye. But maybe with size 4 or 6 hooks and big minnows, could work for walleye too?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2019, 03:30 AM »
My theory on Walleye rigs is : Light, small and loose.

1) Masons 20# braided Dacron tip up line...won't freeze, kink and is thin.
2) Fluoro leader...3' of 10 or 12# ( a little heavier if the waters you fish are known for some monsters ).
3) Small treble hook...#12 or 14. Sometimes I will use a couple of beads or (rarely) small blade for a little flash.
4) Egg (slip) sinker on tip up line above leader, just heavy enough to hold the minnow down and swim freely. You may need a small swivel between the lines to prevent sinker from sliding down on to leader.
5) 3-4" minnow...I use Blues.
6) Tip up...your choice. I use the HT ETU-10...cheap and I love the large spools that free wheel very easily. The trick is to find that fine line between not letting the minnow/wind trip it yet allow the Walleye to take it
    without feeling any resistance. And I always use hole covers.

Walleye, at least my experience, are leery and easily spooked especially through the ice. So light, small and loose has been the most successful for me. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2019, 04:13 PM »

2) Fluoro leader...3' of 10 or 12# ( a little heavier if the waters you fish are known for some monsters ).
3) Small treble hook...#12 or 14. Sometimes I will use a couple of beads or (rarely) small blade for a little flash.
4) Egg (slip) sinker on tip up line above leader, just heavy enough to hold the minnow down and swim freely. You may need a small swivel between the lines to prevent sinker from sliding down on to leader.
6) Tip up...your choice. I use the HT ETU-10...cheap and I love the large spools that free wheel very easily. The trick is to find that fine line between not letting the minnow/wind trip it yet allow the Walleye to take it

Walleye, at least my experience, are leery and easily spooked especially through the ice. So light, small and loose has been the most successful for me. Good luck.
This is absolutely a good system to follow... I fully endorse this method

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:38 PM »
I use my pike tipups for walleye, they have 50lb sufix metered tipup line I think. I have a 1/4oz egg sinker on the main line and a swivel attached to the end. Then I change leaders depending on what I am fishing for. For walleye, its either just a 10-12" leader and hook or a 3' leader with a split shot and hook... depends on water clarity. I use #8 VMC 9651 hooks with shiners, or #10 with large minnows. For line, usually 10-12lb fluoro.. whatever I grab.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:35 PM »

I have added a blade or other items a foot or so above the hook to attract attention in stained water, but it never really produced.   In fact, I think it spooked a lot of eyes instead of attracting them.  Do you have any experience adding flash to your rigs?

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:16 AM »
What kind of weights do you all use, and where do you attach them to the rig?

- The guys that use egg sinkers (slipsinkers) will put them above the leader swivel so it's sliding on the 30# main line. 1/4 ounce seems pretty heavy for a walleye.  Unless your fishing a 6" or over bait. JMO

-Most guys using small split shot, I use (BB, 3/0 sizes), will put it a 1' to 2' on the mono leader up from the hook. 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:26 AM »
I use a 1/4 oz split shot... 1 for walleye minnows 2-3 for pike.... Also been using 12lb flouro this year only indtead of davron and steel and had 0 break offs so far

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.