Author Topic: Buckeye Lake Freezes quick  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Cold-Foot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bound the bottom !!!
Buckeye Lake Freezes quick
« on: Dec 04, 2003, 07:00 PM »
One of the first places people in Ohio we can icefish is buckeye lake. East of Columbus by about 20 minutes just off I-70.
They have a real good slection of fish including perch and walleye. Because of the shallow depth and openness of the area the cold wind really puts a thick layer of ice on early in the winter. It only averages 7' deep with the deepest spots about 10'. There are bait shops and sport shops open with all the things you may need around the lake. I drive about an hour to get there from Cambridge and it's generaly worth the drive.
It's a nice place because of access points to the lake ice and consistance ice thickness (safe ice) good catches and just a good place to hit first. Great for kids or newbies to learn on. If any questions - just relpy.
a little jiggle never hurts

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
Re:Buckeye Lake Freezes quick
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2003, 08:47 PM »
i will be interested in going to buckeye soon as it freezes.
i live about an hour north of it. always wanted to but never knew exactly where to go . should be easy to find the fish being that shallow . lemme know when there's ice.
                            thanks ......john

Offline ice makerr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2003, 10:41 AM »
how is the saugeye down there. Usually right before the ice freezes the saugeye are very active. You will get your limit reel fast. I drive about 125 miles to get there. I live in Medina Ohio.

Offline Cold-Foot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bound the bottom !!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 08:28 PM »
Ice-Makerr,,,Right close we have  wills Creek dam just south of coshocton which is hot for saugeye. Best early dark and early light. When the mood opens their mouth any bait works. Many lakes now where there is a dam spillway water the walleye and saugeye are packing up in.Only people fishing now are true fisherman who know fish bite all year long. Best time of the year to fish coming up.
a little jiggle never hurts

toad4u2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2004, 10:22 AM »
Last year the saugeyes were hot.  As of yesterday there was still some open water but it shouldn't be long now. With the weather the way it is we should be out on it before next weekend.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.