Author Topic: Eskimo 949i vs Shappell 6500i  (Read 1057 times)

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo 949i vs Shappell 6500i
« on: Sep 09, 2021, 10:28 AM »
I'll be buying a new hub shanty this fall. Main purpose will be used for sturgeon spearing in February, but I will likely use it for ice fishing when the wife and kid want to go. I have it narrowed down to the Eskimo 949i and the Shappell 6500i. Any pros / cons to either of these? Thanks

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo 949i vs Shappell 6500i
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2021, 10:40 AM »
I'll be buying a new hub shanty this fall. Main purpose will be used for sturgeon spearing in February, but I will likely use it for ice fishing when the wife and kid want to go. I have it narrowed down to the Eskimo 949i and the Shappell 6500i. Any pros / cons to either of these? Thanks

You'll have pin holes in the 949i, so it won't be completely dark for spearing. Not sure about the Shappell.

And apparently people can't step over the door of the 949i, so be aware you'll have to lift your leg  ;) For an extra hundo you won't have to worry about stepping into the hub.
Da Pack!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2021, 10:55 AM »
I have the 949i ..the Bag is a top load ..kinda PITA on ice ..I use the 64 Nite Ize tie cables..and leave the bag at home . The anchors are awesome and I believe the insulated Eskimo all come with GREAT tie down straps w/carbineer ..I like the grommets in the skirt is a nice touch . On the Shappel the door has a different/non traditional opening ..not sure if that is good or bad..make sure that they come with quality anchors ( if they are the "old" style ..they are practically impossible to get in ..and bend easily) ..as for tie downs ..make sure they are not rope/cord . I think the Shappell has skirt grommets but double check . If memory serves the 6500i is hard to find and often required extra shipping . The 949i was readily available w/free shipping. The pin holes in the 949i exist..but not a concern for me . Also I believe the 949i also can be purchased with a grey interior ...may be harder to find but available.

https://www.eagleclaw.com/catalog/product/view/id/19406/s/wh6500i-insulated-wide-house/category/25/

https://geteskimo.com/products/fatfish-949i
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:09 AM »
I have the 949i ..the Bag is a top load ..kinda PITA on ice ..I use the 64 Nite Ize tie cables..and leave the bag at home . The anchors are awesome and I believe the insulated Eskimo all come with GREAT tie down straps w/carbineer ..I like the grommets in the skirt is a nice touch . On the Shappel the door has a different/non traditional opening ..not sure if that is good or bad..make sure that they come with quality anchors ( if they are the "old" style ..they are practically impossible to get in ..and bend easily) ..as for tie downs ..make sure they are not rope/cord . I think the Shappell has skirt grommets but double check . If memory serves the 6500i is hard to find and often required extra shipping . The 949i was readily available w/free shipping. The pin holes in the 949i exist..but not a concern for me . Also I believe the 949i also can be purchased with a grey interior ...may be harder to find but available.

I always appreciate reading your feedback on products, unbiased and always thorough!
Da Pack!

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:16 AM »
I have a 949i. Going on its 4th or 5th season this year.

No pin holes in mine.

Inside is lined with black material so its nice and dark once you close up the doors. The newer ones can come with a grey interior liner so something to be aware of.

The windows do not fully seal up in terms of light since its just Velcro for the thermal flaps, so another thing to be aware of.

The bag as mentioned is a top load, but is very large and very easy in my own experience getting it in and out.

tie down kit is top notch.

over head mesh compartiments are sewn in which is nice for drying off or just keeping dry coats gloves etc.

Over all I have been more than happy with my eskimo.

I had one ice anchor tip break, contacted eskimo way out of warranty period and they sent me an entire 8 piece deluxe kit at no charge. Customer service is a big factor for me when buying products...

If you can lift your leg up then the doors wont be any issue lol.

Cant speak on the other option shappell, as I have never been in one or owned one.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:18 AM »
I always appreciate reading your feedback on products, unbiased and always thorough!

Thanks ..bought a lot of lemon products through the years passing on my experience/missteps both good and bad is the right thing to do ..but I love options and opinions especially on this site real world reviews .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:30 AM »
Some nice LED lights . I have the shorter set ..but would recommend the longer set ..I ran them off a USB battery pack ..and my Milwaukee 700 lumen Lantern . The Clam hooks go into the pole pockets ...very convenient..coats my LED lantern ..even hung a rattle reel on them . Best chair I found for sitting is aa director style chair ..get one with a full back if you can if the price is right ..Walmart ...Harbor Freight ..has some light weight one..it will make you sit up right...unlike a camping chair ...plus the arm rests work well for up an down tip up fishing.The tie cn be used to hold the wrapped up tent EZPZ with gloves on ...also when on ice can hang some items from them etc

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-64-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-GT64-01-R3/313478931

https://www.amazon.com/Dust2Oasis-Camping-Portable-Outdoor-Emergencies/dp/B08G1D8CLZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1YM3NVJI8CB9S&dchild=1&keywords=dust2oasis+lights&qid=1631204417&sprefix=dust2%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-5

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/hub-shelter-coat-hooks-4-pack.html

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2021, 10:41 AM »
My buddy spears pike out of a 949i all winter and loves it. Black interior so it is very dark. Bag is oversized so roomy.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2021, 12:31 PM »
I had a 949i I was going to spear out of before I sold it and upgraded to the 6120i, but my buddy has a 949i he uses for sturgeon spearing. I think you'd be happy with either (949i or 6120i). I don't know anything about the Shapell models. The Eskimos have great anchors and tie downs, and the little bit of light from the pinholes doesn't make a difference.

Big thing to think about is how you'll hang/hold your spear. My buddy has a hook welded on his that hangs the spear on the edge of the hole. I drilled a hole towards the bottom of my handle and made a wooden support that hung over the edge of my hole with a rod that stuck into the hole in my handle. This year I'm going to try making a center support that will have a base that fits snug in an 8" hole I'll drill almost all the way through with a vertical 2x2 that goes up to the ceiling to hang the spear from.

I speared out of my 6120i 2 years ago and had enough room inside to put my cot and spend the night there opening weekend. This year I'm upgrading again to the fatfish 9416i and probably cut a hole more in the middle for when friends want to come sit with me.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2021, 08:13 PM »
FWIW, myself and a number of other guys I know spear pike out Eskimo QuickFish3 insulated shanties.  I personally prefer the QF3i over the 6120i that I also own as it's easier to set up/take down by myself and it also has notably more head room inside to make moving a spear easier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.