The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: up/down smitty sled  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
up/down smitty sled
« on: Jul 20, 2021, 04:54 PM »
My first shot at the Smitty sled with the coffee table hinges. I do need longer skis but it works great and can hold a lot of weight. Much thanks to VANHLN for the advise and videos. Now I dont have to drag a smitty sled seperate , put it together, and strap everything down!

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: up/down smitty sled
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:24 PM »
Looks good Sly... :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2021, 12:06 PM »
My first shot at the Smitty sled with the coffee table hinges. I do need longer skis but it works great and can hold a lot of weight. Much thanks to VANHLN for the advise and videos. Now I dont have to drag a smitty sled seperate , put it together, and strap everything down!

looks good, i had one built last year. only got out once or twice with it after it was built, broken, and rebuilt. Would like to see your sled in person Mike, so we should be sure to get on some hardwater this season together.....unfortuna tely i live 45 min north now. My usual haunts are no longer and after work special...

Online maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Do they lock in place when you have them extended?

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:15 PM »
They do not lock in place in the up position, but you wanna install the hinges so they go up and back...   Then snow or anything will deflect off the sled.  The hinges are very secure when up though.  Pull the sled from eyelets in the skis, makes it easier...  I'm putting a 4x4 inch 1/8 thick aluminum plate on inside of sled for support.  The skis can have some sideways instability without it I think...  I'm testing it (papasly might have had his out more than mine).
  Also, might want a pvc rod or metal to keep skis apart...  That will stiffen up the system even more...I'm redoing my Nanook in the next few weeks...  Could show you what I'm doing...  I also have hinges on an EVO IT1....

One more thing:. There are two styles of hinges:. Gas cylinder and springs...  I only use the springs ...  Didn't want the shocks to "gas out"...  Maybe that is a stupid thought, but...it's what I did....

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2021, 01:47 PM »
Lookin good Mike👍 I can't wait to walk on water! Gonna be 39° here tonight.

Offline mossboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2021, 03:01 PM »
Looks good, going to look at making one ,

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2021, 04:58 PM »
I had an aluminum frame built to hold jet sled late last season, no pivots or anything. 7" of clearance. Seems rugged enough and really light weight

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:45 PM »
I sure do like the look of that bro, how much did it cost?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2021, 05:01 AM »
I sure do like the look of that bro, how much did it cost?
Way more then I wanted to spend,  but I'm impulsive and I wanted it so I told they guy to build then bill me and I think he charged me $150.. :o
I had an issue with the first build, he didn't follow my plans and left out a brace and first drag with Pat it crumpled when it leaned. I knew i shouldnt have used it that day but i was stubborn. He took it right back and rebuilt for me at no cost.
The hardest part was attaching skies. I attempted to use pre existing mounting holes for binding but it did not line up. So finding the real estate on the skis to be able to  screw into was tough.  Most of the ski is 1/4" thick. In that note the skin cost me another 20, plus maybe 10 in hardware. And what's a jet sled cost? 60? So 150+60+20+10=240 that's an expensive sled

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.