Author Topic: Do it molds Ice fishing molds coming fall 2021.  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Do it molds Ice fishing molds coming fall 2021.
« on: Jun 07, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Talking with do it molds, it sounds like fall of 2021 we will be seeing some possible molds for ice fishing.

One could be some small spoons molds to make jigger spoons for perch.

The may also be making a small mold to make moose’s style jigs.

Both would be nice, but I’d love a moose’s mold style I lose plenty of small jigs with light ice fishing line.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do it molds Ice fishing molds coming fall 2021.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2021, 09:50 PM »
That'd be nice,  i ordered some spoon blanks last year and made some swedish pimple look a likes that worked real well.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2021, 10:51 AM »
I make a lot of my own plastics and lures. It will be nice if they actually come out with some panfish sized jigs/spoons. The round head collarless jig is about the only thing that’s small enough currently for ice fishing panfish.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Yep, me too.  Found a 1/8 oz spoon last year that I made crushed ice pimple look a likes and they worked well on perch and kokanee.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:11 PM »
Id get a few new molds.just smelted down 125lbs of lead the other day.been making 6 and 8oz no rolls for catfishing lately.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:25 PM »
Yep,  been wanting a spoon mold for awhile.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2021, 09:44 PM »
Id get a few new molds.just smelted down 125lbs of lead the other day.been making 6 and 8oz no rolls for catfishing lately.

To bad you weren’t closer. I got a chit load of molds u could use

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2021, 08:40 AM »
Will these do it molds only be for lead pouring or for soft plastics as well?  I started pouring my own ice plastics this season and had quite a bit of success with them.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2021, 12:03 AM »
Will these do it molds only be for lead pouring or for soft plastics as well?  I started pouring my own ice plastics this season and had quite a bit of success with them.

They already have a bunch of panfish/ice plastic molds.....they just lack in small panfish lead jig molds

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like great news!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2021, 04:57 PM »
If anybody is pouring 6-7 inch swimbaits in a perch pattern please post me. The guy at Worlds Worst Fishing does not sell his baits. Thanks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2021, 02:01 AM »

Here is a pic of all the panfish plastics/molds that I shoot. They work very well.

When the bite is tuff and they won’t even eat live bait….a finesse tail with live bait seals the deal,

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2021, 06:33 AM »
I feel silly asking that as I realized that I own a few of their ice molds.  I appreciate the pic. Any favorites?  I really like the bubba scud although there is one that looks like the maki plastic

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2021, 11:09 AM »
The bubba scud is ok. The tentacle arms don’t have much action though compared to some of my other molds.

I’ve fished mostly blue Gill, crappie, and perch with the plastics and always have a number of bass that hit them.

All work, and depending on the day and fish mood they seem to either want the smaller ones or the larger ones.

The ice pick, ice tickler, and waxie wiggler, and ball tail have all been good.

On neutral to tuff bites the tiny curly tail and small ice bug really pay off.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 30, 2021, 01:15 PM »
I really like the ice dancer from Fat guys fishing.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2021, 07:01 PM »
The bubba scud is ok. The tentacle arms don’t have much action though compared to some of my other molds.

I’ve fished mostly blue Gill, crappie, and perch with the plastics and always have a number of bass that hit them.

All work, and depending on the day and fish mood they seem to either want the smaller ones or the larger ones.

The ice pick, ice tickler, and waxie wiggler, and ball tail have all been good.

On neutral to tuff bites the tiny curly tail and small ice bug really pay off.

Nice, I started using a crappie fluke last year, been working great on everything, even open water.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2021, 08:14 PM »
I really like the ice dancer from Fat guys fishing.

Looks Kool.

Last few years the ice fishing/panfish plastic molds have really blown up. Great selection of different stuff out there.

Found an exact baby brush hog mold for bass fishing at Basstackle….think it will be a nice shooting mold.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2021, 08:44 PM »
Speaking of molds i just bought a spinnerbait mold.im a lucky strike jimmy Houston spinnerbait fanboy and sick of paying 6$ a piece.can make almost the exact replica for less than 2$.found another lead connection and paying about 20$ for 120 lbs.its harder wheel weight lead but works fine for jigs,sinkers.splitshot need pliers to close tho.i ladle pour 6 and 8oz sinkers.my lee bottom pour is too slow for big weights as hard lead with antimony/tin cools faster than pure lead.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2021, 10:12 PM »
Speaking of molds i just bought a spinnerbait mold.im a lucky strike jimmy Houston spinnerbait fanboy and sick of paying 6$ a piece.can make almost the exact replica for less than 2$.found another lead connection and paying about 20$ for 120 lbs.its harder wheel weight lead but works fine for jigs,sinkers.splitshot need pliers to close tho.i ladle pour 6 and 8oz sinkers.my lee bottom pour is too slow for big weights as hard lead with antimony/tin cools faster than pure lead.

Yep. Made a few and buzz baits. I use a lot of plastics for trailers and sometimes just that without skirts. The skirts are what sucks, but I found buying the skirt kits to be the way to go.

I got a plumber buddy that hooks me up with lead from old pipes. I got about 35# in 1# Lee bars I made.

Offline JBDekes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2021, 08:56 PM »
For those that don't mold lead a lot--

When pouring VERY SMALL jigs like these, use a HIGH or pure lead for these. I buy the lead pipe flanges at Menards and melt down (easy to get when I need them) BUT, it's an expensive lead that's ONLY used for ice jigs-- rest of my lead is for big bass/musky jigs and can use wheel weights for that.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2021, 09:40 PM »
For those that don't mold lead a lot--

When pouring VERY SMALL jigs like these, use a HIGH or pure lead for these. I buy the lead pipe flanges at Menards and melt down (easy to get when I need them) BUT, it's an expensive lead that's ONLY used for ice jigs-- rest of my lead is for big bass/musky jigs and can use wheel weights for that.

I’ve found that spraying molds with Frankfort drop out, and heating the mold up before you pour it makes a world of difference, and will allow a guy to use the lead that is not so pure for small jigs. It is a bit of a learning curve though. If anyone is looking for molds. Rock island sports is the best price on molds, and is free shipping with $50 purchase.

Also, I’ve found that putting the small plastic molds in the oven at 170* warms them up and will get tails to fill out in tuff molds. (Like my 1in curly tail grub)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2021, 06:46 AM »
I get most my molds from rock island.i scored 4 molds at a garage sale friday,3/4 oz jig mold,3/8 to 1/16th jig mold,1/2 to 3/4 cannonball mold and a 3/8 to 1/2 jig mold along with 600 brass eyelets for 50$.2 molds are in the new original packaging.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2021, 01:12 PM »
I get most my molds from rock island.i scored 4 molds at a garage sale friday,3/4 oz jig mold,3/8 to 1/16th jig mold,1/2 to 3/4 cannonball mold and a 3/8 to 1/2 jig mold along with 600 brass eyelets for 50$.2 molds are in the new original packaging.

Nice score. Sometimes u can pick one up on eBay reasonable.....,but most want more then buying new after u pay shipping.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2021, 01:29 PM »
I hear ya.last one i bought from ebay was a vintage lil mac pencil lead mold for 20$ and free ship.i bought a bunch on the gander mountain closing sale.molds were 28$ a piece and 35$ for lee bottom pour melters.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2021, 06:56 PM »
I picked up my crappie fluke mold on eBay for $25, brand new still in the package, free shipping, can find deals on there if you do a bit of research and know what they cost new.

Offline JBDekes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2021, 09:05 PM »
I’ve found that spraying molds with Frankfort drop out, and heating the mold up before you pour it makes a world of difference, and will allow a guy to use the lead that is not so pure for small jigs. It is a bit of a learning curve though. If anyone is looking for molds. Rock island sports is the best price on molds, and is free shipping with $50 purchase.

Also, I’ve found that putting the small plastic molds in the oven at 170* warms them up and will get tails to fill out in tuff molds. (Like my 1in curly tail grub)

Thanks IA, like that Frankford tip, will give it a shot-- mold a bunch of 1/64th oz and they are a BEAST!!!!!!

Anyways, I know this isn't lead based but, whats the BARE MINIMUM setup for shooting ice plastics- injector, microwave,  mold, plastics-- missing anything that's important (other than PPE)?

THANKS

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Thanks IA, like that Frankford tip, will give it a shot-- mold a bunch of 1/64th oz and they are a BEAST!!!!!!

Anyways, I know this isn't lead based but, whats the BARE MINIMUM setup for shooting ice plastics- injector, microwave,  mold, plastics-- missing anything that's important (other than PPE)?

THANKS

Color,  color flakes if you choose to use them, scent, I buy the little 4x4 poly bags also to put them in when they're done, a good set of oven gloves, injector gets hot.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2021, 08:15 AM »
JBDEKES- I started pouring ice plastics last year as a “quarantine hobby”.  Bare minimum you would need plastisol, injector, colorant, glitter, PPE, microwave, thermometer, and glass measuring cup.  Check out “Worlds Worst Fishing” on YouTube.  Chris Jones has multiple videos that address getting started.  If you are looking for a beginners kit I’d check out baitplastic’s rookie kit. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2021, 08:21 AM »
When i first started i bought a few cheap crawfish molds and used old ripped wacky worms,tube,craws for plastic with a old microwave.just to see if i liked doing it.my next injection mold will be the assorted size salmon egg mold.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2021, 11:43 AM »

THANKS

Mold
Injector
Plastic or old plastic baits to melt
Pyrex cup & microwave
Gloves.

You should be able to shoot plastics then

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.