Author Topic: what did you learn last ice fishing season?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Mike84

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: what did you learn last ice fishing season?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 09, 2021, 04:14 PM »
Learned how to inject my own soft plastics and use them successfully.  I also came to the realization that some folks aren't better fisherman they just fish a lot more than I do.  At least that's what I am telling myself. ;D
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jun 14, 2021, 04:32 PM »
My buddy and I ice fish a lake with large weed flats ( they extend 3/4 to a mile out from shore and 2-3 miles wide across the entire end of the lake.  Water depth in the weeds run from 1' at shore to 10 to 12 feet out at the far edges).  The weeds stay mostly upright throughout the ice season and are hard to fish in the Winter. There are quit a few sparse weed pockets throughout and most fishermen move around trying and find these pockets to fish in.  Lake bottom is a gradual slope out the 40 ft.  Perch caught within the weeds run about 4'-8" with a occasional 10" fish.  As large as this weed flats are when you get hundreds of fishermen wandering around looking for the spare weed pockets and continually cutting holes, the fish bite can be difficult.  It was the 2nd or 3rd ice trip to this lake last year that we decided to get away from all the fishermen, so we moved quit a ways out beyond the last hut.  I cut a sting of holes and found weeds at the 1st two and the other holes were weed free.  I had found the weed edge and no one within 400-500 yds of us.  The rest of the day we were into some very nice perch 9 - 11" as average and two of us catch around 75.  Needless to say we went out to the weed edge the rest of the season and no one caught on.  Lesson:  get out away from the crowd.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jun 25, 2021, 12:21 PM »

I learned not to rush onto the ice to get to the "sweat spot" even if it was well below freezing for a few days or so.
The edge looked completely solid until the third step and I shrunk 3 feet instantly. It was 8 degrees that morning I got out so fast the water never made it under my gore tex bibs so I lucked out. Lesson learned!!!!! Always check the ice first!

smitty :tipup:

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jun 30, 2021, 09:46 PM »
I learned that I may be out of shape but a smith sled made me feel young and in shape.  I could barely tell my sled was behind me when I was walking.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jul 01, 2021, 04:12 PM »
I learned how much I miss the social part of fishing. COVID made me go alone a lot or with my wife, which was fine, but I really miss getting out with a bunch of kids and seeing them catch their first fish through the ice.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jul 11, 2021, 08:57 AM »
Might be old news for some of you.  When Perch fishing I learned to hook my minnows at the back end of the dorsal fin (on the body above the spine) so the head is hanging down slightly.  This compared to hooking it in the dorsal and have the minnow hang level.  The fish come up from the bottom and strike the head first.  My catch rate improved drastically.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jul 11, 2021, 09:23 AM »
I learned it is getting harder and harder to stand back up after setting a tip upů.. :P
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jul 11, 2021, 09:45 AM »
Might be old news for some of you.  When Perch fishing I learned to hook my minnows at the back end of the dorsal fin (on the body above the spine) so the head is hanging down slightly.  This compared to hooking it in the dorsal and have the minnow hang level.  The fish come up from the bottom and strike the head first.  My catch rate improved drastically.

Although its a dead bait Pike technique the logic make sense...why wouldn't it work scaled down and with live bait and a single hook placement  4:57 mark

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jul 12, 2021, 03:32 PM »
Although its a dead bait Pike technique the logic make sense...why wouldn't it work scaled down and with live bait and a single hook placement  4:57 mark

Yea, I don't hang them down all the way but same thinking.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2021, 12:02 PM »
I learned that I'd rather be fishing from my boat in 75F weather! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.