The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Cusk Smell?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cusk Smell?
« on: Feb 28, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Caught two small cusk, cleaned them per the internet instructions. Then I caught an I pounder and went to clean and it smelled so bad. Stored the fish outside on the ice. Temp was cold. Anyone else experience this?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cusk Smell?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:22 PM »
They definitely smell funny...

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:02 PM »
When you filet them, make sure you don't cut into the guts.  Stay high above the rib cage and cut along top of rib cage on spine.  Once you go through the length of the fish, grab the top of the filet near the head, and firmly rip down and towards the anal fin.  Should rip half way down rib cage.  Then work knife down fish rib cage towards belly meat.  If done correctly,  both filets come off in one piece. It took me a lot of practice on ocean cusk, it's not easy

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:50 AM »
Don’t forget the belly meat! Especially on the bigger ones, it’s really adds to the amount of meat they produce.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2021, 08:11 AM »
They smell like ling and burbot
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2021, 09:07 AM »
They smell like ling and burbot

Lol. That... is correct. I'm not sure its helpfull, but it is correct.
Ya some of them get very fishy smell as they defrost. I'm guessing the first ones you filleted smelled fine but the last one had a stink? If it was setting in some warm water or just in a warm bucket while you cleaned the others it may not have been any different from the rest, just warmed up enough to notice it. 
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2021, 09:49 AM »
I made a cusk chowder on the ice last weekend.  Should have been enough for 10 people, but 4 of us basically finished it off.  It really does taste great on the ice.  If anyone is curious, here was the recipe I used, kind of combining a couple I saw on-line.  3lbs of cusk in bite sized pieces, threw in sauted 1/4lb bacon and sweet onion (large), 1 stick salted butter, can of minced clams with juice, 3 cans diced potatoes with juice, make sure ingredients are covered with liquid and add water if needed, Tony Chachere seasoning, salt & pepper in crockpot on low for 6 hours.  Add can of condensed milk and quart of half & half cream for 45 minutes.  Took out of crockpot and let cool overnight.  Next day, heat and serve with of course oyster crackers.  Letting it cool overnight does seem to enhance the flavor.  we landed 6 cusk last weekend, and I have vacuumed sealed the meat for the big trip to Rangeley for ice out.  I love spring trolling!!

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2021, 11:19 PM »
They smell nasty AF! The meat should not, however, if kept away from the skin and guts. I was told to skin them on a separate cutting board and keep the meat away from the skin and gut as much as possible. There is bacteria that will spoil the meat quicky.

It is awesome to get "cod" fillets when you're cusk fishing . This is the only only advice I have

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2021, 08:05 AM »
Caught two small cusk, cleaned them per the internet instructions. Then I caught an I pounder and went to clean and it smelled so bad. Stored the fish outside on the ice. Temp was cold. Anyone else experience this?
yes cusk smell really bad!
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.