Author Topic: Ice scratcher recomendations for sleds  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice scratcher recomendations for sleds
« on: Dec 12, 2020, 10:28 PM »
Alrighty folks, im looking for scratchers for my 95 polaris indy 500 (liquid) 2 up, and need recomendations. i had someone tell me to put a stud in the back of the ski, and there is already a hole there, but id prefer not to have something that will tear the crap out of my trailer deck. So preferably something i could put up then not needed. The ski is steel, so im not worried about breaking the ski.  thanks in advance folks.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice scratcher recomendations for sleds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Try Dennis Kirk on line. They should be able to hook you up.

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2020, 12:18 PM »
I know I can get some from dennis Kirk, that's where I started looking. I'm looking for people's opinions about which ones work well on glare ice
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Wire scratchers are what you want don't waste your time with cable ones.  Yes when you use wire scratcher you have to pick them up when backing up.  Our neighbors to the north (Canada) who use there snowmobiles for work will tell you the same.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I went with the Dura Flex Ice Scratchers(cable type), I would have went through six pairs of the spring type by now easily.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2020, 01:58 PM »
I have the cable type of scratcher for the very rare times they are needed in our area, they are slightly better than nothing.  I would prefer the wire type, but know they would be trashed the first time I forget and back up.  I understand that Skidoo has a new wire scratcher that works well and you can back up with them, the next time we get in the glare ice situation I will probably get some.  I don't know if these will work on your Polaris, or if there are any better scratchers out there, but it might be worth a call to a local Skidoo dealer to find out.  The next suggestion would be to get on a Polaris snowmobile forum and pose this question to them.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:46 PM »
I've had both the wire and the cable type.  I have broken several wire designed scratchers  but have yet to break the cable type.  For me, there is doubt I will only use the cable design scratchers.  I have them on an Arctic Cat Pantera and an Arctic Cat XF 800 High Country and neither sled has ever over heated on me.  I run the Pantera on glare ice all the time fishing and pulling a tote sled without issue.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2020, 02:51 PM »
I've had both the wire and the cable type.  I have broken several wire designed scratchers  but have yet to break the cable type.  For me, there is doubt I will only use the cable design scratchers.  I have them on an Arctic Cat Pantera and an Arctic Cat XF 800 High Country and neither sled has ever over heated on me.  I run the Pantera on glare ice all the time fishing and pulling a tote sled without issue.

What set of cable scratchers do you have? I also have a pantera I'm looking to get a set for.
Tight Lines!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Hey Bassin,

I have the Straight Line Performance scratchers.  They are a bit more pricey than the wire scratchers but to me they are worth it for their durability and function.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2020, 03:30 PM »
thanks Arctic Addict
Tight Lines!

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Arctic, are you running scratchers on the rail or on your front suspension? I see there is a mounting setup for both. Still debating on which ones to get, I'm kinda leaning to spring style on the skis yet, cause im in the boat of not thinking cables are gonna do enough at low speeds (<20, speed restriction for a lake I fish), whereas the wire looks like it has more bite
-Johnny Cash

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:35 AM »
I need scratchers for my 2003 yamaha triple I got for this season.

Im going with the wire ones, NOT cable.

On glare ice, the wire ones will put alot more downforce allowing more ice to be chipped into track from what I understand. If you have reverse, You will need a different type design so the scratchers dont bend or break.

I also have no place to put them on the sled track frame so I am looking into ones I can mount on the inside of the skis
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2020, 11:03 AM »
I've had both and if you can get tunnel mounted for your sled, they are the gold standard. This is coming from someone who trail rides 5k miles a year or more with dozens of serious riders. With tunnel mounted they disappear when they are stowed. It's like they don't exist and that is a very good thing. The cable types can break off and damage your rails. They pack up with snow and deploy on their own- although that isn't really a problem. When I had the cable type I never stowed them unless I was putting it in the trailer. They still get a memory and don't down-pressure enough.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:38 AM »
I've had both and if you can get tunnel mounted for your sled, they are the gold standard. This is coming from someone who trail rides 5k miles a year or more with dozens of serious riders. With tunnel mounted they disappear when they are stowed. It's like they don't exist and that is a very good thing. The cable types can break off and damage your rails. They pack up with snow and deploy on their own- although that isn't really a problem. When I had the cable type I never stowed them unless I was putting it in the trailer. They still get a memory and don't down-pressure enough.

100% correct on all counts.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:44 AM »
I am not a snowmobiler. What is the purpose of these?
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:29 AM »
I am not a snowmobiler. What is the purpose of these?

Tips of the scratchers gouge into the ice to create small ice chips/powder to help with cooling the snowmobile when there isn't enough snow.  Liquid cooled sleds have heat exchangers in the track tunnel that need consistent powder for the engine coolant circuit, and even fan cooled sleds can benefit with scratchers throwing powder into the track to help keep the suspension slides from melting due to heat generated from the friction.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:31 AM »
AHHHH. Thanks!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.